Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (2)
Partagas
Aero95 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone have experience with composite decking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
TimberTech seems to get the most favorable reviews of anything I've read about in the composite world, but you're approaching that $3/ft mark at the lower levels quite easily from what I've seen. (I think listed at $2.79/ft on sale).

Now, if I could just buy about 1800 feet of it wholesale, I'd seriously consider it.
Well do you by chance know anybody in the lumber business? In Cincinnati we have wholesale places who sell the lumber and I would have to go pick it up for work! I'm sure you would have some places in Indianapolis like that!
Old 04-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #22
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the advice-

The house is just now 20 years old with a really nice deck (38x18) with nice bench seating in 4 different locations and a built-in deck box next to the screen-in porch. I think cedar would look really nice. I just know nothing about it and wonder how hard it'll be to keep it from graying on me.

Here are some pics-2 from today and 1 from the house listing of when it was clear (needs cleaned up a bit from spring cleaning at the moment). Like you said, if I do this, there won't be any seams in it at all this time around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deck3.JPG (80.0 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg deck1.jpg (50.3 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg deck2.jpg (57.4 KB, 170 views)
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #23
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

Partagas

Quote:
Thanks for the advice-

The house is just now 20 years old with a really nice deck (38x18) with nice bench seating in 4 different locations and a built-in deck box next to the screen-in porch. I think cedar would look really nice. I just know nothing about it and wonder how hard it'll be to keep it from graying on me.

Here are some pics-2 from today and 1 from the house listing of when it was clear (needs cleaned up a bit from spring cleaning at the moment). Like you said, if I do this, there won't be any seams in it at all this time around.
It will grey as the sealer wears off requiring cleaning and resealing. Make sure you get a sealer with UV inhibitors
Old 04-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #24
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero95 View Post
It will grey as the sealer wears off requiring cleaning and resealing. Make sure you get a sealer with UV inhibitors
Is the cleaning equivalent to just pressure washing and putting on a sealer every spring?
Old 04-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #25
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

Partagas

Quote:
Is the cleaning equivalent to just pressure washing and putting on a sealer every spring?
Well yes a pressure washer around 500psi will get all the oils and debris from the wood. If you put a clear sealant over the wood it will turn the wood gray in a year so you would have to spray every year and re-apply the clear sealer. Now normally if you would use a wood stain you would not have to rent a pressure washer every year since that would strip it off. You can also during the summer if the deck looks dirty clean it with simple green since it does not contain any harmful chemicals.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #26
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Well yes a pressure washer around 500psi will get all the oils and debris from the wood. If you put a clear sealant over the wood it will turn the wood gray in a year so you would have to spray every year and re-apply the clear sealer. Now normally if you would use a wood stain you would not have to rent a pressure washer every year since that would strip it off. You can also during the summer if the deck looks dirty clean it with simple green since it does not contain any harmful chemicals.

My deck faces the east, so it doesn't get a tremendous amount of sun, so perhaps I'll get more life than those who face the south.

I'm a little confused about the above, so I just want to clarify-if I would pressure wash and apply a clear UV sealer, I can maintain the same look as new? Just seemed like you said if I apply a clear sealer, it'll turn gray anyway.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #27
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

Partagas

Duane sorry yes the clear does not contain an UV protection so it would turn grey. A stain is the only way to prevent the gray look. Personally I would do a clear sealer and just pressure wash every year. Are you going to install this deck?
Old 04-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #28
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Duane sorry yes the clear does not contain an UV protection so it would turn grey. A stain is the only way to prevent the gray look. Personally I would do a clear sealer and just pressure wash every year. Are you going to install this deck?
Yes-I'm going tondo the install. I've listed the existing materials up for grabs on craigslist for someone to get it for free as long as they disassemble it and haul it off. I've already gotten 6-7 responses in less than 2 hours.

I'm thinking if the cedar's gonna fade no matter what and it'll come to staining
It to avoid the gray, I might as well get treated and stain it.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #29
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

Partagas

Quote:
Yes-I'm going tondo the install. I've listed the existing materials up for grabs on craigslist for someone to get it for free as long as they disassemble it and haul it off. I've already gotten 6-7 responses in less than 2 hours.

I'm thinking if the cedar's gonna fade no matter what and it'll come to staining
It to avoid the gray, I might as well get treated and stain it.
Heck yeah with the disassemble!! If you have any questions you can always PM me and I will try to help out as much as I can!! Have fun and watch your fingers
Old 04-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #30
forgop
Not a puffer

Ok, here's a couple of pics...it's night, but it gives you a good idea. Yes, it's still in need of a good cleaning and when I put the new deck in, the hose is going under the deck and on a hose reel outside of the freaking deck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deck5.jpg (36.9 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg deck6.jpg (42.7 KB, 186 views)
Old 05-26-2011, 07:00 AM   #31
jojufernando

Composite decking represents a family-friendly, low-maintenance deck that endures all year round. smooth surface that is not prone to splintering, making it safe for children's bare feet.cleaning your composite deck is also easy.price is also good.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 AM   #32
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

I re-did my front porch and back deck with composite decking in 2007, we love it! Its maintenance free, looks great and will out live us. There is a little bit of sticker shock but after having it for almost four years now it was worth every penny, IMO.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 AM   #33
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Man, I am not sure I wouldn't rent a power sander, stand-up kinda unit and sand the crap out of that one,
replace a few boards, stain and seal it and call it a weekend. It does not look like a disaster in any of
the photos.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 AM   #34
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

On Cape Cod, buyers look for composite decks. My parents have it and has lasted well. Easier to power wash than wood.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #35
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojufernando View Post
Composite decking represents a family-friendly, low-maintenance deck that endures all year round. smooth surface that is not prone to splintering, making it safe for children's bare feet.cleaning your composite deck is also easy.price is also good.
For realz?
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #36
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Man, I am not sure I wouldn't rent a power sander, stand-up kinda unit and sand the crap out of that one,
replace a few boards, stain and seal it and call it a weekend. It does not look like a disaster in any of
the photos.
I probably could have gotten by with replacing a dozen boards and been through the hassle of sanding, treating, staining, etc, but I didn't want that headache every year. The deck is 20 years old-time to install something that will be virtually hands free.

This is what I ended up going with:
http://www.timbertech.com/products/d...m/default.aspx

I got it for $2/foot (pretty much half the going rate), so to me, it'll be well worth the up-front cost given the maintenance needed on the deck over the next 10 years.