Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
Robulous78

Default Re: Dream humidor construction in progress- help?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsetGO View Post
there's one in knoxville and one in greenville.

not too sure how far they are from you.
Knoxville might be the way to go... thanks GTsetGO....
Old 09-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post

Do NOT use regular cedar for a humidor. Spanish cedar (mahogany) is the way to go.
Let's put a huge ditto on that. A store in Mt. Juliet, TN lined their walk in humidor in American Red Cedar. I really feel sorry for the loss of product when that aroma kills them.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
bighairlogo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (34)
RA
bighairlogo will become famous soon enoughbighairlogo will become famous soon enough

ya knoxville is the closest unless you want to wait until im in the Atlanta area i can go to Hardwoods Inc. they are pretty cheap.
or you can try this
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=569&rrt=1
bighairlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #24
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

much, much bigger.

Look for specialty/hard wood stores in your area. You can order it online as well, from the links provided. But, Im betting you have a source in the viscinity.

much bigger... yeah....
Old 09-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #25
Robulous78

So let me start by saying I am in no way an architect...

But to show my plans better I drew the following plans... anyone who cares to look them over and provide feedback it will be greatly appreciated...

As for the bigger, much bigger comments, as the plans show this is a Modular system that can be expanded by adding extra tray housings, as it stands now, this set up is a good 7 times bigger then what I am currently dealing with so I feel it will do me well for now, but I did take your expansion recommendations into account and when space starts running low I will add space as needed.

So without further adieu, Here are my plans...

[IMG] Plans- Front View by Robulous78, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] Plans- Side View by Robulous78, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG] Plans- Interior View by Robulous78, on Flickr[/IMG]

Once again, I know these drawings are crude sketches but hopefully this will give you an idea of what I am thinking... let me know what you think!

Thanks Everyone,

Rob
Old 09-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #26
Robulous78

I am also open to suggestions on what the outside hardwood should be, seems locally we can find some red oak and a decent price.... Thoughts?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #27
Robulous78

think of the tongue and groove portion for expansion as a "bee keepers hive" that allows for additional storage to be added... Maybe I should call it the bee hive humidor....lol
Old 09-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #28
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
Let's put a huge ditto on that. A store in Mt. Juliet, TN lined their walk in humidor in American Red Cedar. I really feel sorry for the loss of product when that aroma kills them.
I appreciate and will heed this warning, no way I am going to spend my hard earned moolah to ruin my sticks, that is why I am asking for everyone's input, and I appreciate yours....

Thanks,

Rob
Old 09-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #29
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post

Do NOT use regular cedar for a humidor. Spanish cedar (mahogany) is the way to go.
I know that you posted this a few days ago, and I appreciate the input, Definitely won't use regular cedar... but that's not why I reposted/quoted this,

I just wanted to say thanks for reading and your input pnoon, from what I can tell your a very active member on here, and one of the Eleven (which I take to mean your one of the creators) and I appreciate your time in my newb endeavors...

Any more helpful hints or words of advice are greatly appreciated, and check back often as I will be loading pictures as the actual construction begins... Darrel and I are going shopping for supplies tomorrow so construction will begin soon!!!

Thanks again pnoon / Everyone,

Rob
Old 09-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #30
bighairlogo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (34)
RA
bighairlogo will become famous soon enoughbighairlogo will become famous soon enough

looks good man, im excited to see this bad boy when you start working on it.
bighairlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #31
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
I know that you posted this a few days ago, and I appreciate the input, Definitely won't use regular cedar... but that's not why I reposted/quoted this,

I just wanted to say thanks for reading and your input pnoon, from what I can tell your a very active member on here, and one of the Eleven (which I take to mean your one of the creators) and I appreciate your time in my newb endeavors...

Any more helpful hints or words of advice are greatly appreciated, and check back often as I will be loading pictures as the actual construction begins... Darrel and I are going shopping for supplies tomorrow so construction will begin soon!!!

Thanks again pnoon / Everyone,

Rob
My pleasure, Rob.
While I am one of the owners and admins of Cigar Asylum, that does not make me any more of an expert than anyone else. There are others more knowledgable and competent in the construction arts. I just happen to know that regular cedar is bad for humidors.

I do look forward to the pictures.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #32
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

In the last pic....I would not do the 45 degree "tray supports" personally, I think it would add unnecessary awkwardness to putting in and removing cigars,boxed or unboxed. I would just use a small (1/2") square stock type runners to support tray on.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #33
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #34
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:

[IMG] Plans- Interior View by Robulous78, on Flickr[/IMG]

Once again, I know these drawings are crude sketches but hopefully this will give you an idea of what I am thinking... let me know what you think!

Thanks Everyone,

Rob
If I am understanding your support frames, they would waste some valuable real estate. You may want to just run a piece flush with the side wall Or even just a square dowel in each corner to rest on.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #35
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
If I am understanding your support frames, they would waste some valuable real estate. You may want to just run a piece flush with the side wall Or even just a square dowel in each corner to rest on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
In the last pic....I would not do the 45 degree "tray supports" personally, I think it would add unnecessary awkwardness to putting in and removing cigars,boxed or unboxed. I would just use a small (1/2") square stock type runners to support tray on.
Thanks for the advice jluck & Blak Smyth,

I know nothing about woodworking, so I originally thought those cross-members would be necessary for structural strength, After taking your recomendations to Darrell he also feels the cross members are unnecessary... Glad I posted my plans for review by you guys...

Thanks again,

Rob
Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #36
Robulous78

VERY QUICK QUESTION,

Does anyone know if red oak is an appropriate wood for the exterior? the only reason I ask is because Darrell says it is decently priced and we are giving thought to using it for the exterior... I ask because I don't want any smells or tastes to be transferred through the inlay wood to my sticks, and once again, I know nothing about wood or woodworking....

Thanks everyone for your help, a few quick replies to this question would be great seeing how Darrell and I are going shopping in about 4 hours...

Looking forward to your input,

Rob
Old 09-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #37
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
VERY QUICK QUESTION,

Does anyone know if red oak is an appropriate wood for the exterior? the only reason I ask is because Darrell says it is decently priced and we are giving thought to using it for the exterior... I ask because I don't want any smells or tastes to be transferred through the inlay wood to my sticks, and once again, I know nothing about wood or woodworking....

Thanks everyone for your help, a few quick replies to this question would be great seeing how Darrell and I are going shopping in about 4 hours...

Looking forward to your input,

Rob
Exterior finish is purely aesthetic (as far as I know), Use something that you like to look at.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #38
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

From what I've seen, it seems that you can use just about any wood you want for the exterior.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #39
Robulous78

So 60 dollars later I have these 2 pieces of red oak for an exterior... the local Lowe's doesn't sell spanish cedar (surprise) so I will have to find the inlay online...

Anyone care to help me price match square footage of spanish cedar from the online sources you know?

Seriously Guys, thanks for all your help, input and support....

[IMG] Future humi by Robulous78, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 09-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #40
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
Ncpsycho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
Go BIG, had my buddy build me a 200 ct. desk top, it is full along with a cooler. Here is my one off desk top

Attachment 12332

Attachment 12333

Attachment 12334

Attachment 12335

Does your buddy sell these-- pm me if he would do another one for a fellow LEO
Ncpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote