Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default The "Devil Site" Vs Cigarsatyourprice

Ok, I have not tried to win anything from either site, but it seems people really don't like the devil site (hence the name)....what is wrong with this site?

Is it really that easy to win?

I have practiced with cigarsatyourprice and I am fairly good at this site....if you can call it that.

I am not a big fan of auction sites, because I really don't know what I am doing be it Ebay or others.

So I am curious what is the difference good and bad of both sites?

"Teach me Obi Wan"
Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Re: The "Devil Site" Vs Cigarsatyourprice

You always win at cigarsatyourprice since you only bid against the lowest price they will sell it at.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

People dislike Cbid because of the effect it has on their finances and credit balances. Like any auction site it is important to research prices and then set the max you want to bid as a reserve. Never go back and check, that will get you caught up in competitive bidding and going above your max.

Bid low on several lots, winning just a small percentage is a good thing. It means you are spending wisely. Winning a lot is conversely bad. You are paying too much for your purchases. Watch the selling prices on cigars you are interested in purchasing, maybe for a couple of weeks or month. Then you will have a sense of whether the selling price is something you are willing to pay.

Popular, new or "hot" cigars will always sell at a premium, so try to buy "off the curve"

Dont get caught up in the hype, nothing is limited on Cbid. The same lot will be back in the next week or two. Use the search to find your preferred lots.

Finally, set your preferences to ship once a week otherwise you will pay shipping for every winning bid.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Cbid makes you spend too much $$$

You end up in bidding wars and at that point it's all about winning.

I don't like to bid at all.

My vote goes to CAYP.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
bdgile
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
bdgile is on a distinguished road

I went overboard my first few days on CBid, like many do. I got the hang of it after a while. Great advice up there... After you set the max you will pay, DON'T CHECK IT!!! They will email you if and when you win something.
bdgile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgile View Post
I went overboard my first few days on CBid, like many do. I got the hang of it after a while. Great advice up there... After you set the max you will pay, DON'T CHECK IT!!! They will email you if and when you win something.
have to learn whats a deal and whats not.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #7
lawrand
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Randall
Trading: (0)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
lawrand is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
have to learn whats a deal and whats not.
Therein lies the rub. That's what I'm trying to learn now. I bring up Cigars Int'l in another browser window and I check the price at CI against what I'm interested in at CB. Then I decide on a percentage that I am willing to consider a "good" deal. I set that as my max bid.

Randall - U.S.M.C. - Vietnam Veteran
lawrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Great advice Bob, Brian and Randall......now let me throw one more out there at ya:

Cigarmonster.com

Likes, dislikes and compared to the other sites?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
bwhite220

I like the Free Fall section on cbid. I buy most of my sticks from cbid and Cigar Monster. Both are my favorites to buy. I use Famous-Smoke, Cigar.com, and Cigar International to research. Occasionally I find a deal that I can turn down on those too.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

CAYP rocks. Great pricing/service. Can't go wrong with them.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #11
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Great advice Bob, Brian and Randall......now let me throw one more out there at ya:

Cigarmonster.com

Likes, dislikes and compared to the other sites?
Slower shipping then most....

Mashups are great deals.

I use them for accessories though and not cigars.

Xikar MTX Scissors are like $27 shipped
Xikar 009's $19-$20 shipped

Those are regularly great deals. The Xikar lighters are priced right too.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:10 AM   #12
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

I only buy from C-bid When the specials interest me. Deals of the past are now too much loot. I haven't used CAYP but I will in the near future. I only look at Monster on Friday night for the mash ups. I get good deals on Famous exclusives there.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:26 AM   #13
Barcode
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tom
Trading: (16)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
Barcode will become famous soon enough

Monster also has a auction site and you can get some good deals from them too.
Barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #14
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Thanks Bill & Doug, will keep my eyes peeled for these "Fall specials" and accessories.

Tom, yeah I seen that, but I haven't ventured very far into that section.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:08 AM   #15
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

In my short time on this site I have used them all. Just like was said above, the best thing to do is research. Just be smart and look for good deals. Right now my favorite is whichever has the Cigar I want at the best price!!

@Bill - I have been monitoring cigarmonster for that allusive 009 punch. One of these days fate will take over.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #16
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I don't understand the "bidding" wars that happen at cbid. I have only won 3 things on there and never was involved in a "war" of sort. I simply bid, and checked back later to see if I won.

Anyone who can't stop at their limit has a problem and should probably seek professional help... or delete their cbid account.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
People dislike Cbid because of the effect it has on their finances and credit balances. Like any auction site it is important to research prices and then set the max you want to bid as a reserve. Never go back and check, that will get you caught up in competitive bidding and going above your max.

Bid low on several lots, winning just a small percentage is a good thing. It means you are spending wisely. Winning a lot is conversely bad. You are paying too much for your purchases. Watch the selling prices on cigars you are interested in purchasing, maybe for a couple of weeks or month. Then you will have a sense of whether the selling price is something you are willing to pay.

Popular, new or "hot" cigars will always sell at a premium, so try to buy "off the curve"

Dont get caught up in the hype, nothing is limited on Cbid. The same lot will be back in the next week or two. Use the search to find your preferred lots.

Finally, set your preferences to ship once a week otherwise you will pay shipping for every winning bid.

Bob is wise.

Regarding some of the other comments in this thread about the bidding wars at Cbid, one thing to keep in mind, that some people, if they have a large order already won for that week, due to combined shipping and savings from the other auctions, might be willing to bid a bit higher on one item or maybe even two, just to get it and have it ship with everything else. Sometimes it's an overall savings thing, sometimes its about just having it all show up in one box rather than boxes every week to avoid the dreaded "So you're buying cigars AGAIN?" speech from the SO.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #18
gator_79
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Robin
Trading: (3)
Navy (Deployed)
gator_79 is on a distinguished road

I limit myself to $200-$250 per month weather it be CC's or NC's. As for where I buy my NC's, I have used Cbid in the past but lately I have found that cigarplace.biz and CAYP has very good prices on boxes I want. I might be able to get them for a few dollars cheaper on Cbid but I just don't like the hastle.
gator_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #19
Bill86
Snob

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
In my short time on this site I have used them all. Just like was said above, the best thing to do is research. Just be smart and look for good deals. Right now my favorite is whichever has the Cigar I want at the best price!!

@Bill - I have been monitoring cigarmonster for that allusive 009 punch. One of these days fate will take over.
I hear ya, when I find them up on their again I just might snag tons of extras.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #20
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator_79 View Post
I limit myself to $200-$250 per month weather it be CC's or NC's. As for where I buy my NC's, I have used Cbid in the past but lately I have found that cigarplace.biz and CAYP has very good prices on boxes I want. I might be able to get them for a few dollars cheaper on Cbid but I just don't like the hastle.
I was looking at cigarplace.biz today......I liked what I seen