Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Prince: The Internet is dead

The music industry might be embracing digital and online technology, but Prince is not convinced that it’s a good thing.

"The Internet's completely over,” Prince told British tabloid publication, in his first newspaper interview in 10 years. “I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won't pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can't get it.”

Full article here: http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07...s-dead/?hpt=T2

Sounds an awful lot like Ken Olsen's pronouncement of 1977: There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. Note that DEC no longer exists, but we have computers in the home.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Prince: The Internet is dead

Isn't the career of Prince dead for years?
Old 07-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #3
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Maybe he forgot the all as in "The internet completely ALL over" hmmm anyone else see him being lost (unknown) to anyone born past 1985? .......... but he has it right the internet is worthless just ask the Bieber kid .......
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I couldn't read this thread because... the Internet is dead!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

youre gonna have to explain who Prince is to some of the younger kids... he hasnt been relevant for quite a while now

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

No one will appreciate Prince until he is gone. While he is nuts (I love him anyway) the meaning behind his message is true. Get off the internet, go create. He is very protective (rightfully so) of his intellectual property. I like that he tells iTunes to go pound sand.

BTW the new stuff I've heard from Prince is really good, if you like Prince. His Superbowl half-time show performance was, IMO, the best in history.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

I can't find the key to spell his name
maybe that's why he doesn't like it.
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

Prince WHO , what the hell does he know about the internet anyway, Now if I have some questions about a$$ less pants he would be the guy to see.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Remember, its not actually "Prince" anymore. Its now "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" (or TAFKAP), or just by the symbol below

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Remember, its not actually "Prince" anymore. Its now "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" (or TAFKAP), or just by the symbol below
Actually he is the Artist Formerly Known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince. He's been back to Prince for the last ten years or so.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

I think he went back to Prince. Not positive but I think I heard that a while back.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Beat me to it.
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

While Prince has always done things his way...I believe it is finally catching up to him.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
The music industry might be embracing digital and online technology, but Prince is not convinced that it’s a good thing.

"The Internet's completely over,” Prince told British tabloid publication, in his first newspaper interview in 10 years. “I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won't pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can't get it.”

Full article here: http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07...s-dead/?hpt=T2

Sounds an awful lot like Ken Olsen's pronouncement of 1977: There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. Note that DEC no longer exists, but we have computers in the home.
Prince is kind of an odd person. Musically, he's a freaking genius, and while is is a bit off center, he's usually much better spoken than what was presented in that blog. I'd suspect there is more to his statements than was presented. I don't recall him being much of the type to just go off that like that without some reason.

And even if he was, I care about his internet predictions about as much as I care about what any musical artist has to say about something other than music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post

Nah. IIRC, that whole symbol thing was due to the label owning the rights to the stage name "Prince" and when he split from his old record label (MCA?), there was a lawsuit over if he could use the name, and while I don't remember if it was by settlement or legal judgement, but eventually he was awarded the rights to the name over a decade ago.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #15
KingJaffeJoffer

That's funny. The Internet says, 'Prince is completely over'.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #16
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

He wore a raspberry beret...the kind you find in a second hand store.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #17
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

So, lemme see if I've got this straight - the Internet is dead because Prince ain't getting paid. Is that about right?
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #18
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
And even if he was, I care about his internet predictions about as much as I care about what any musical artist has to say about something other than music.
Might help if I clarified that I don't don't give a **** what they think, in fact, it would really be nice if they'd just lean to STFU and do what they are being paid to do - entertain. If I want an opinion on something other than music, I'll get it from someone qualified in that field.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #19
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
So, lemme see if I've got this straight - the Internet is dead because Prince ain't getting paid. Is that about right?
Except that he's been giving his albums away for free for a number of years now.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #20
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Might help if I clarified that I don't don't give a **** what they think, in fact, it would really be nice if they'd just lean to STFU and do what they are being paid to do - entertain. If I want an opinion on something other than music, I'll get it from someone qualified in that field.
I always find this opinion ammusing. My wife shares your sentiments. I tend to disagree...for the most part. If Britney Spears starts babbling about world peace...I'm going to tune out and look at her (o)(o)s. However, when a guy like Bono, from U2, starts talking world peace, I believe its a mistake to not listen. He's invested decades into pushing for peace. He knows his information better than a lot of politicians I would suspect (i.e. Palin and her "foreign policy" experience w/ Russia....scary). Furthermore...just think a few decades ago when music was so politically driven. The 60's and 70's are saturated with policitally motivated music. Just because a person chooses an outlet such as entertainment, I don't believe that should discredit them from an opinion. If they take the time to research the subject, I believe that makes them an outstanding spokesperson because they have mass appeal.