Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Project of the Day : Black Walnut iPad Cover

Hi guys,
I needed a cover for my ipad so I didn't destroy it while I waited for the Otterbox covers to come out. I had the cheesy sleeve that I bought with the ipad, but it drove me nuts. It was forever dirty and didn't really protect anything at all.
It did employ some good ideas, but the material was crap and it didn't work very well.
I was watching a ball game in the shop and came up with this thing.
I chose black walnut because I had some and hadn't used it to make anything. I just wanted to see how it finished because I was planning to build a humi. I'm glad I used it because it's truly a gorgeous wood.
I also wanted to see if I liked Satin Polyurethane, and wanted to try the stuff in spray cans, so I used that.
Here's what the whole deal turned out like...

Here she is all closed up. It looks really nice sitting around, and you'd never guess what was in it. I kept it nice and small, and the cover makes my clumsy hands hang on to it a lot better.

Here she is opened up and standing. It doesn't stand like that real well on slippery surfaces. It works awesome when I'm laying in bed or on the couch reading. It stands up on my stomach perfectly. I can read for hours and it never tips over.

When I fold the lid back, it puts a nice natural incline on the ipad, like a bookrest. It really helps when it's on a table so I can read without hanging over it, and I don't have to hold on to it.

Start paying attention to the hinge setup. There are two piano hinges and a reticulating douchebag that allows the back and front to fold all the way over and back. I chose piano hinges so it wouldn't be sloppy, and added the reticulating rocker thing to hide screws. It worked out great, although I wrecked one of the douchebags and had to make another one. I blew it out with all the screws. I was being fast and lazy.

more on the way...
Old 06-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: Project of the Day : Black Walnut iPad Cover

Holy crap Scott!!!
That is really cool.
Nice work.
How heavy is this thing now?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

a reticulating douchebag?

hang on, I need some mental floss.

Looks cool, Scott.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

That is sweet! You are a smart, smart man!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

What the F!!! No room for even 1 cigar holder? You disappoint me sir!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Here she is all opened up. I really never use it in this position, but it looks cool.
The corners are held down by four removable corner stoppers. They were hell to make. I used one piece of wood to make all the corner stoppers and the middle layer so that the grain would be continuous.
It was the difference between it looking like a cob job and a nice piece of work.
I'm glad I took all the extra time.

This is just an example of one of the cutouts to get to the control buttons. I had to oversize them so I could get my big fingers in to reach the controls.
I had a lot of concern about how well I'd be able to manipulate the buttons when I was done. It's not a problem at all. I really got lucky there.

The last two pictures are of the grain and look of the front and back. The wood is absolutely gorgeous. I used no stain, just poly. The satin finish hides wear beautifully. I can't see a blemish or a scratch on the whole cover, and I use it constantly. It travels with me everywhere, too.

In this last pic, you can see the brass screws that hold the corner holddowns in place. They can be removed any time I like if I have reason to take the ipad out of the cover. I was a bit concerned how they'd look and hold up over time. They haven't been a problem at all.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Nice work Scotty!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

In summary, this cover has made the ipad a lot more special to me. I love seeing it laying around, love to pick it up and use it, and I love the warm feel of the wood (yeah, I got it, "that's what she said").
The extra protection keeps me from grimacing when the kids use it, although they are really careful anyways.
Hope you enjoyed the pics!!!
Scott
Old 06-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Holy crap Scott!!!
That is really cool.
Nice work.
How heavy is this thing now?
The cover weighs a lot less than the ipad, Carlos.
I just checked, and the whole thing weighs 45 ounces. If it were a beer heavier, it'd be uncomfortable standing up on my chest when I'm reading.
I was concerned about the weight when I was building it, so I kept everything very thin. It worked out really well.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

That's probably the best iPad cover I've seen to date! Nice work Scott
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #11
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

Absolutely freaking brilliant!!!

NOW, I want an iPad.

Any thoughts on patenting and/or making more of these?

A super classy piece of functional artwork is what you've got there.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKitty View Post
Absolutely freaking brilliant!!!

NOW, I want an iPad.

Any thoughts on patenting and/or making more of these?

A super classy piece of functional artwork is what you've got there.
If I had to price this thing out for my time, they'd be 400 bucks apiece, Crystal. I'm not sure the market is there.

There's one major flaw, too. I can't plug in headphones. I could with two minutes of dremel work, but I don't want to do it.
I don't have any desire to use earbuds with it, and I still don't. I'm sure others would. My daughter wanted to once and I told her I'd fix it, but she told me to leave it be.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #13
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Beautiful piece of work Scott!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Great work, but one question.......Wheres the cup holder?
Old 06-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #15
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

WOW!!!

Superb job Scott!!
Great Idea...... I think I'd cancel the Otterbox... that is was more cooler IMO.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #16
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about

Wow. Very nice work. I love my iPad and am pretty happy with my DodoCase cover, but yours is gorgeous!
Superbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #17
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

That looks really cool Scott!
Nice job!
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #18
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
If I had to price this thing out for my time, they'd be 400 bucks apiece, Crystal. I'm not sure the market is there.
Just a thought. I've seen people pay more for less. Either way, it's a truly beautiful piece of art and ingenuity.

Quote:
There's one major flaw, too. I can't plug in headphones. I could with two minutes of dremel work, but I don't want to do it.
I don't have any desire to use earbuds with it, and I still don't. I'm sure others would. My daughter wanted to once and I told her I'd fix it, but she told me to leave it be.
That's a good girl you've got there. Don't mess with Dad's toys.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #19
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Great job Scott. You are a gifted man.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKitty View Post
Just a thought. I've seen people pay more for less. Either way, it's a truly beautiful piece of art and ingenuity.

That's a good girl you've got there. Don't mess with Dad's toys.
If I'd make them out of pink plastic and bling them out with sparklies and a kitty, I bet I could move a million to teenage girls.

My baby girl uses all my stuff. She's a good kid. I taught her real early, and she takes care of everything even better than I do.
I'm on the fence about getting her an ipad, cause I think she could use an iphone more. Her birthday isn't till September, so we'll see.
I don't think she'd make much use out of an ipad, and she carries her phone and her ipod touch everywhere she goes.
Whatta ya think, darlin?