Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #301
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Wristwatch collectors out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I think we are really talking apples and oranges here is we are really comparing Rolex and IWC to an inexpensive quartz movement.

How about some good sources for the sub $500 category?
poormanswatch forum is a great resource for gens under $1000 and many under $500.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #302
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Moses, a quartz is a quartz is a quartz. Sure, some have better looking finish, at a steep price bump, but no one wears a watch upside down with mechanism exposed. People traditionally paid more for a name since it implied quality, but quartz simply implies accuracy (and a much better one than any mechanical movement), I really don't see how a nicely finished Rolex quartz keeps any better time than a $50 Casio quartz, so why pay more save for "name"?

Let me put it to you another way. Someone wants to gift you a watch, the choice is up to you. One is a Rolex with a quartz movement and the other one is with a mechanical movement (automatic). Which one would YOU pick? :-)
Bob, there is a bunch of watch sites where you simply select your price range and then are presented with a number of choices. Let me know what you are looking for, I'll be able to better steer you around. I'd say google Orient and Invicta and see what comes up, they are the best deals to be had these days, IMO. Orient for automatic (mechanical) movement, decades of proven ruggedness, and Invicta for rugged quartz models. Orient should run in the $250-300 range and Invicta anywhere from $80 to $400 depending on model, some may even be automatic movement.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #303
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Moses, a quartz is a quartz is a quartz. Sure, some have better looking finish, at a steep price bump, but no one wears a watch upside down with mechanism exposed. People traditionally paid more for a name since it implied quality, but quartz simply implies accuracy (and a much better one than any mechanical movement), I really don't see how a nicely finished Rolex quartz keeps any better time than a $50 Casio quartz, so why pay more save for "name"?
The issue is in house movement vs Asian movement most of the time. There are things which some of the leading watch makers have done in quartz movements that make them run better and last longer. The quality of steel, the finishing of gears, etc, etc.

If I was gifted a Rolex, I wouldn't care what it had in it. If they gave me a choice, I would choose automatic, only because the resale value is higher. However quartz has it's advantages as well. No need to wear it all the time or have a watch winder comes to mind first.

That all said, I would go with either of your recommendations. As well as adding Citizens, Seiko (again the spring drive is phenomenal) and possibly Fortis.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #304
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post

Let me put it to you another way. Someone wants to gift you a watch, the choice is up to you. One is a Rolex with a quartz movement and the other one is with a mechanical movement (automatic). Which one would YOU pick? :-)
I see your point, but actually I am a fan of the Oyster Quartz. One of my favorite watches is the Omega X/33 which uses a quartz movement.

If you want the look and prestige at value price, or you want speicalized features, a quartz if a great way to go. Yes, automatics are more of a timepiece than a quartz, but most people wear a watch for its look and percieved value of branding.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #305
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

All I can tell you is you should visit 47th Street in NYC sometime and spend some time observing what they wear, these are people who can afford any watch out there. Not to pan Rolex, but along with Cartier and a couple more big names they are considered "jewelry", not watches. What people wear on 47th are AP, G-P, Vacheron Constantin, Patek, Breguet and some others, rarely do you see a Rolex and definitely not a quartz one if it happens. Again, not to pick on Rolex in any way, but its the last "big" name I think about when it comes to buying an expensive watch. Just my opinion, of course, with a couple of exceptions, one being the older Daytona with Primero movement (Zenith).

One advantage that Rolex does offer is the resale value since the general public knows little of the brands I listed above and Rolex does have a great marketing dept. If I had unlimited finds my list would be a short one, certain models from G-P, Ulysse Nardin and Jaeger le Coultre, and a couple from Patek and Lange (German). No Rolex.

As for quartz movement, you actually hit the nail on the head. Japanese are decades into quartz development and refinement and if anything, are heads and shoulders above when it comes to the technology. Don't forget that it is the move to quartz that almost killed Swiss watch industry in recent times. If one is buying a quality quartz piece I'd say the choice is between the Big 3: Seiko, Citizen and Casio and definitely not a Swiss one (although I do buy Invictas for the QPR).

Seiko developed an incredible movement recently, Spring Drive, it combines the best qualities of both worlds: accuracy of quartz and complication/refinement of mechanical. Pricey, but great looking watches with serious accuracy to boot.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #306
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
any recommendations for a quality watch in that price range, under $600?
In my opinion, anything with valjoux 7750 movement.

Other good watches for under 600... hmm..

Hamilton is great for value
Orient
Swatch with 7750
Mido
Old 12-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #307
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Just came yesterday!

I love the nine-eater!!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #308
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
Just came yesterday!

I love the nine-eater!!
So, how is it? Is it a sapphire crystal? How's the quality of the the strap? This model looks the most unique out of Robert's site.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #309
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
So, how is it? Is it a sapphire crystal? How's the quality of the the strap? This model looks the most unique out of Robert's site.

Sapphire crystal to the best of my knowledge. It sure as heck looks like a sapphire crystal.

The strap is decent quality. nothing to write home about, but still decent quality.

the watch is very unique to me.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #310
Pilon
Feelin' the Love

First Name: Travis
Trading: (49)
Bolivar
Pilon will become famous soon enough

Valjoux 7750 for $500 shipped. Got one for myself.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26399
Pilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #311
s15driftking
Go Browns!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilon View Post
Valjoux 7750 for $500 shipped. Got one for myself.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26399
that watch can be had on random daily deal sites for 250.00 - 300.00 about once a week.... Not to burst your bubble... but I'm more concerned if you are attempting to profiteer from buying something a month or so back (so people forget) on a daily deal site and then attempting to sell it for a profit.

Regardless, 500.00 for 7750 movement isn't a bad deal.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:17 AM   #312
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Valjoux 7750 if you want a chrono, Eta 2824 or Eta 2836 for any other watch.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #313
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

I think the 7750 movement costs about $350 by itself.

One has to remember the watch companies are buying on scale, so they pay much less.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #314
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I think the 7750 movement costs about $350 by itself.

One has to remember the watch companies are buying on scale, so they pay much less.
If you know where to find them for that price, please let me know. I can only find them for $440 at the cheapest.

And while it's a nice movement, there are a number of in house movements that are far better. And be careful, the Asian 7750 looks identical, but costs far less.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #315
Pilon
Feelin' the Love

First Name: Travis
Trading: (49)
Bolivar
Pilon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
that watch can be had on random daily deal sites for 250.00 - 300.00 about once a week.... Not to burst your bubble... but I'm more concerned if you are attempting to profiteer from buying something a month or so back (so people forget) on a daily deal site and then attempting to sell it for a profit.

My manager told me about it, he said he was getting it somewhere online. I wouldn't think he would pork me, but you never know I guess. I'll see if he can show me where online.
Pilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #316
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
If you know where to find them for that price, please let me know. I can only find them for $440 at the cheapest.

And while it's a nice movement, there are a number of in house movements that are far better. And be careful, the Asian 7750 looks identical, but costs far less.

The problem with the Asian movements is they are all shipped "dry" no lube to speak of...plus there are several manufactures so matching gear sizes can be a challenge...tolerances vary a bunch.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #317
pmwz
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
pmwz is on a distinguished road

i have this orient watch and am happy with it. (paid ~100€)

I plan on buying a (dress) watch next year in the 300$ range with a black leather strap and roman numbers. i have my right now on the seiko premier line but they are a little out of my price range. need some recommendations.
pmwz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #318
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmwz View Post
i have this orient watch and am happy with it. (paid ~100€)

I plan on buying a (dress) watch next year in the 300$ range with a black leather strap and roman numbers. i have my right now on the seiko premier line but they are a little out of my price range. need some recommendations.
I was just about to mention Orient watches. I really like mine. I have the bigger version of the mako.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #319
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
That's what are our watchsmith said last year. I assume he buys them from Eta direct? He does work for Swatch Group when they have to fix an old movement that needs hand cut sprokets.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #320
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Quote:

Way to jump the gun

Then you said for yourself that 500.00 isn't a bad deal. So....which is it?
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote