Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation
Default Earbuds for iPod/iPhone/MP3 player choice?

I just had a cheap pair of Skull Candy ear buds break down on me and looking to replace them with something better. Been looking around and found there a pretty wide range available. Each seem to have their own pro/con and I was wondering what you own, or plan to own next.

Considering items from Shure, Bose, Etymotic, and Ultimate Ears at this point.

So, lets hear what you own, why you like it or hate it, prices, and help me find a pair I might be happy with.

BTW: I don't need a mic (even though its for a iPhone 3G), and also no need for active noise canceling (too bulky).

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
poker

Cohiba
Default Re: Earbuds for iPod/iPhone/MP3 player choice?

Oh I forgot:

Primary use: 3-4 hr sessions at the poker table 2X a week (not running around or anything)

Primary music: Classic Rock / 80-90's metal

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Old 11-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
piperman

Bose are real good, kind of pricy but worth it.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried a bunch and I use my plain old ipod earbuds. They're all uncomfortable, but the ipods are the least uncomfortable.
I've been told that Sennheisers are wai badass.
If I was forced to buy something different, that's the way I'd go. If I was looking for headphones, that's also the way I'd go. It's only because all the audiophiles shout about the brand. If you say Bose around them they'll run you out of the room. (I like Bose stuff, but I won't admit it in public.)
Bose is to audiophiles what Thompson's is to cigars.
MithShrike is bigtime into this stuff. He'd be a good guy to ask.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I have had a pair of Shure IEMs (E2c) for a while now, temporarily misplaced at the moment, but decent performance. I like the idea of the replaceable wax screens as well.
The foam plugs are very comfortable, and block a huge amount of ambient noise. They hang on to their plug material well, unlike the Vibes I am using now. The Vibes, I had to reglue a metal screen already, and will be returning. The thought of a metal screen loose in my ear canal does not excite me.
Edit: no
Buy
Other
Stereo
Equipment
for me either.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #6
bazookajoe

First Name: david
Trading: (72)
bazookajoe has disabled reputation

I have 3 pairs I like:

Sennheiser CX300 - $30ish

Lenntek Sonix - $40-$50ish

Etymotic ER6 - $60-$70ish

Some good info here:

http://forums.ilounge.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
poker

Cohiba

Thanks so far guys! Im just so damn confused since I been looking. I mean, they range from like 6 bucks up as high as 400! I mean, I dont mind spending good money, but seriously...400 bucks for earbuds?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

I have the Sony MDR-EX51LP and I love them... they include different size earbuds for the best fit. Best of all I paid about $25 in 2007 and not they are under $20.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Thanks so far guys! Im just so damn confused since I been looking. I mean, they range from like 6 bucks up as high as 400! I mean, I dont mind spending good money, but seriously...400 bucks for earbuds?
400 bucks is crazy.
Try the Sennheiser CX300. They get great reviews and the price is fair.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I have had a pair of Shure IEMs (E2c) for a while now, temporarily misplaced at the moment, but decent performance. I like the idea of the replaceable wax screens as well.
The foam plugs are very comfortable, and block a huge amount of ambient noise. They hang on to their plug material well, unlike the Vibes I am using now. The Vibes, I had to reglue a metal screen already, and will be returning. The thought of a metal screen loose in my ear canal does not excite me.
Buy
Other
Stereo
Equipment
for me either.
Big fan of the Shures, but the E3C's. Looks like Shure has some new models out so the E series is a good buy at amazon,
Old 11-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #11
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

My daughter likes the Etymotic ER6 both for the sound and noise cancelling properties.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #12
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Koss SparkPlugs..... comfy and great audi quality for $50.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #13
Redbaron
Blank

Trading: (1)
HdM
Redbaron is on a distinguished road

paging Raisin or Seanahue.....
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Tossed the earbuds a long time ago. I have a Sony noise canceling headset. Of course I don't jog or workout or anything like tht while I'm listening to my Ipod.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #15
DavenportESQ
Vaya Con Dios

First Name: David
Trading: (15)
ERdM
DavenportESQ has disabled reputation

Was gifted a pair of sennheisers! They rock, nothing compares!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #16
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Will have to say Sennheisers as well....will never buy another pair of headphones
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #17
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Buy
Other
Stereo
Equipment
for me either.

The Shure E2c's are great and if you are patient you can get them for under $40, maybe even under $30 if you are really patient. The replacable wax screens are nice, but kind of annoying to keep in place when you change them and put the ear plug back on.

The foam plugs are great as stated. I found the others not that great, but everyone in different.

On the other hand, I think the foam plugs will almost block too much noise for the poker table if you plan on hearing anyone. Even without music they act like ear plugs and block a lot of noise.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:15 PM   #18
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Big fan of the Shures, but the E3C's. Looks like Shure has some new models out so the E series is a good buy at amazon,
I agree 100%. I ditched the iPod buds within a week and have been using the E3Cs for a couple years now. My set came with three different type of plug (foam, gray rubber, black(?) rubber), and the rubber plugs each came in three different sizes. The small gray rubber works best for me, I've worn them on flights for 6+ hrs at a time with absolutely zero discomfort. Blocks out almost all ambient noise too without having to crank up the volume, no engine noise, no snoring traveling companion, no screaming baby, in fact someone usually needs to poke me and tell me when it's time to turn off the iPod. Sound quality is pretty darn impressive for a set of l'il buds.

My brother in law plays guitar for a local band, classic rock, modern rock, etc. He uses the Shure E5Cs on stage and loves 'em.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #19
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunng View Post
I have the Sony MDR-EX51LP and I love them... they include different size earbuds for the best fit. Best of all I paid about $25 in 2007 and not they are under $20.
Great buds for the price. Whatever you do DO NOT get the Bose. They suck big time!!
Old 11-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #20
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough

I have a pair of Etymotics musicians' earplugs - they were customed fitted to my ears in an audiologist's office after a complete aural evaluation. They took a wax mold of both my ears which they sent to the factory to manufacture my earplugs. I know that Etymotics and a few other companies make custom-fit earbuds as well. If the earbuds fit like my earplugs, which I imagine they would, then I recommend them 100%.

Earbuds are a fine balance of audio quality and fit. I've had GREAT sounding earbuds that hurt my ears like crazy, and well-fitting earbuds that sounded like crap. Etymotics is a reputable audio company, so I'm sure their earbuds don't sound like crap. Go custom fit, that's my
mikeyj23 is offline   Reply With Quote