Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #21
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sticky cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
Could it be condensation forming on the cigar and turning into something sticky? Problem with your humidification device perhaps?
Hygros have been recently tested and showing 62%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
Maybe sap from wood
I've checked the cedar G and nothing is sticky except the actual cigars. I'm so damn confused.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I've seen cedar give off sap suddenly, even after it was in my 'dor a long time. Does it have a smell?
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #23
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I've seen cedar give off sap suddenly, even after it was in my 'dor a long time. Does it have a smell?
Smells like tobacco. No cedar smell that I noticed. I'm dumbfounded.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #24
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Are they stored in their celo????
Old 04-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #25
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I'd be tempted to cut out a section of the wrapper. Could give you an idea if it's coming from within or without
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Have there been any large temperature fluctuations maybe? It has to be either something in the environment being deposited on your cigars, or something in the cigars being drawn out. Is it also on the bands or just the wrapper? Do you have any in Cello that is also happening to? Either way if it is happening to multiple types of cigars then something screwy is going on in your humi environment. Just my
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #27
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Unless you have direct experience with pre-2003 Cohiba's it really is silly to speculate on possible causes.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #28
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
Yeah, that's an 01 CoLa

Oh and to clarify...this is on most of my cigars, not just the aged ones.
It is never silly to apply basic troubleshooting and logic to a situation.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #29
never_enough
Never Satisfied

First Name: Robert
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
never_enough will become famous soon enoughnever_enough will become famous soon enough

The cigars are just crying because you aren't enjoying them fast enough.

Really I have nothing to add, but I hope someone here can help you figure it out.
never_enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #30
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I dont think sap would manifest that way. It would show as direct transfer and that looks more like airborne. Even transpiration would not likely occur on many different cigars at the same time. I would wipe it off with an alcohol swab before smoking.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #31
TanithT
Herfer Grrrrl

First Name: Tanith
Trading: (26)
HdM
TanithT will become famous soon enoughTanithT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD6030 View Post
I've noticed that some of my cigars are sticky. There are round brown spots that are sticky. Is it safe to assume this is the oils coming out of the cigars?
Only if you quit keeping your special magazines next to the humidor.

Have you checked the humidor for any kind of seepage or condensation?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #32
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

I cant explain but I have seen this on some boli pc's I traded for. But it was almost dry and not as wet looking as your pic.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #33
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
Maybe sap from wood
maybe it comes from the humidor wood?
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #34
levrac68
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Todd
Trading: (0)
levrac68 is on a distinguished road

Is it on the whole stick or just on the exposed side? Try rotating to see if it forms again in different areas. I'm leaning towards environmental also as others have said.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #35
Reaver2145

Put a bit of the sap on you're finger and taste it if it tastes ok smoke if not it prolly wont kill you but if it dose can i has you're stuffs.

PS. Remember a mouldy cigar is like a wheel of Stilton its just extra flavour.

Pps. That was a joke before someone takes it too seriously and gives me negative rating again.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 AM   #36
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver2145 View Post
Put a bit of the sap on you're finger and taste it if it tastes ok smoke if not it prolly wont kill you but if it dose can i has you're stuffs.

PS. Remember a mouldy cigar is like a wheel of Stilton its just extra flavour.

Pps. That was a joke before someone takes it too seriously and gives me negative rating again.
It won't be from me; I love Stilton!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #37
Ed M
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Ed
Trading: (0)
Ed M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
Monica Lewinsky Humidor?
Damn, you beat me to it!
Ed M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #38
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Andrew, sap from spanish cedar will not only drip, but it'll vaporize and then settle on anything and everything. It'll make hinges stick, lids seal shut, trays glue to glides, rollers stop rolling, and all kinds of crazy stuff.
The only way I could imagine this happening the way that it is if the cigars are colder than the air surrounding them, and the volatiles are condensing each time you open your humi.
If it were happening to me, I'd obviously have more info to go on, but I'd make sure all my smokes were in cabs or boxes, closed tightly.
I'd probably empty the humidor and let all the wood come up to room temp, or maybe put a low wattage lightbulb in there to warm the wood and draw the sap out to see if that's really the problem.
Being that you mentioned it's on a number of cigars and not just those, I'm guessing you store in open trays and not in cabs or dress boxes?

Cedar pitch is different than pine pitch. It's very sticky, but it tries real hard to dry out, whereas pine kind of stays real gooey and pliable and smeary. They're different colors, too. Cedar pitch is darker.

Mind ya, I'm just guessing. I don't have remotely enough info from you to help much, I'm just relaying my experience with the wood as I've used it, or actually as I've removed it and replaced it with stuff that doesn't weep.
I'm also guessing that the sticks are refrigerated and in open trays, it just looks that way to me.
I sure hope you get this ironed out!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #39
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

Partagas

Quite interestingly enough it's only on the visual facing "up" part of the cigars. Now it's not on every single cigar but I ruled out sap based on the principle of some of the cigars are stacked and in the middle of the stack this has happened yet not on the top or bottom. So it's not sap. So basically it's on the top, left side and right side full length of the cigars but not where the cigar touches the cedar trays. They still smoke just fine but are rather tacky haha.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #40
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Andrew, sap from spanish cedar will not only drip, but it'll vaporize and then settle on anything and everything. It'll make hinges stick, lids seal shut, trays glue to glides, rollers stop rolling, and all kinds of crazy stuff.
The only way I could imagine this happening the way that it is if the cigars are colder than the air surrounding them, and the volatiles are condensing each time you open your humi.
If it were happening to me, I'd obviously have more info to go on, but I'd make sure all my smokes were in cabs or boxes, closed tightly.
I'd probably empty the humidor and let all the wood come up to room temp, or maybe put a low wattage lightbulb in there to warm the wood and draw the sap out to see if that's really the problem.
Being that you mentioned it's on a number of cigars and not just those, I'm guessing you store in open trays and not in cabs or dress boxes?

Mainly yes. This is happening in my new humidor but also in my vinotemp, which by the way is not plugged in.

Cedar pitch is different than pine pitch. It's very sticky, but it tries real hard to dry out, whereas pine kind of stays real gooey and pliable and smeary. They're different colors, too. Cedar pitch is darker.

Mind ya, I'm just guessing. I don't have remotely enough info from you to help much, I'm just relaying my experience with the wood as I've used it, or actually as I've removed it and replaced it with stuff that doesn't weep.
I'm also guessing that the sticks are refrigerated and in open trays, it just looks that way to me.
I sure hope you get this ironed out!!!
The sticks aren't refridgerated at all. The temp in my basement this morning was 65* and the hygro inside gave me a reading of 64* so it was slightly cooler.

Thanks for the insight Scott. I'll try and "warm" up the inside and see if that works. I did let the humidor adjust to my basement for a week with it open and then it took me a few more weeks to get it to hold humidity at a constant.