Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough
Default general cigar question for all...

So I was reading on CI the other day that some people believe it is in bad taste to leave the band on a cigar when you are in company. CI stated a few reasons for this, but the one that stuck out to me was that you wouldn't want to offend those you were smoking with if you were smoking a finer quality product.

So that leads me to ask, do you leave your band on when smoking or take it off? In addition, why?

Does anyone else feel like I just asked a test question?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:33 AM   #2
MileHighGolfer

Default Re: general cigar question for all...

"essays are due no later than November 23rd at 5 pm standard time. Please double space, use new times roman 12 point and regular college margins. Points will be deducted for unacceptable citation and referencing or use of an unknown referencing style, in addition no essays over 1500 words will be considered."

hehehehe

for real though, if this is true 'good form', ill have to start doing it..cuz, well, i havent been.....
Old 11-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
mrreindeer

Eh, I don't have a ton of experience with this because I haven't really herfed with experienced smokers. On Saturday night, I was, but we were all smoking the same, CAO LX2's, so there really was no point in removing the band, so we didn't even breach the topic nor did we remove.

That being said, I've heard that removing the band is the best form of etiquette because you don't want to 'brag' about the kind of cigar you're smoking if it is a better quality cigar.

I've heard that you should remove the band from the start. If it sticks, smoke a bit until the glue softens up and you can effortlessly remove it without damaging the wrapper. If you can't, well, you're stuck with the band on your cigar, which I, personally don't mind. I like to see what others are smoking.

If you're just hanging with friends though, I'd forget it and keep the sucker on.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
silentjon

I leave them on. Not to be a snob, I'm just lazy. Plus, I don't want to damage the wrapper.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentjon View Post
I leave them on. Not to be a snob, I'm just lazy. Plus, I don't want to damage the wrapper.
Ditto... I don't remove them cuz I tend to mess up the wrapper! And I don't really care what people think of my smokes regardless of if my band is more expensive or theirs is...
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentjon View Post
I don't take them off till I get the stick down close to the band due to the fact that the heat will loosen the glue used. If I tried to take the band off before I smoke, I will ruin the wrapper.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

When I pull up to a herf, I immediately throw a sheet over my car, so as not to offend anyone who might be driving a hunkajunk.
kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

It takes a whole lot more to offend me than a cigar.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

I've never seen anyone looked down on for smoking a "finer quality product", however, I have seen persons looked down upon for smoking a LESS quality product.

Personaly I remove them if they are easy to remove and keep them on if they're not.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
When I pull up to a herf, I immediately throw a sheet over my car, so as not to offend anyone who might be driving a hunkajunk.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #11
jaycarla
Mossy Hoosier

First Name: Jay
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
jaycarla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now that is funny!

I leave mine on.

When I first started I did take them off all the time, because I read somewhere that you "should". I found though I liked leaving them on, and it is my smoke gosh darnit!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
jquirit
Angry Asian Dwarf

Trading: (3)
jquirit has disabled reputation

Quote:
I wear a ski mask when I'm out herfin' just so I won't make all the "less beautiful" people jealous of me. Plus, it's damn cold out there.

As for the bands? I leave 'em on. They're a helpful reminder of what I was smoking, along with the "you've reached the 1" mark on the cigar, time to start thinking of what to smoke next". Them cigar bands are so helpful!

jquirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #13
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I too leave it on. Most times I wait until I am pretty close to the band to remove it just to be safe as the band being warm is not always guaranteed to not tear the wrapper. In the rare cases I get a band that is loose I usually remove it right away just because 9 out of 10 times it just ends up being annoying sliding up and down the stick.(Hmmm that sounded bad didn't it?) More often than not I smoke alone so no need to worry about offending anyone and when I smoke with others more often than not everyone is smoking what they like anyhow and wouldn't be offended anyway.
neoflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

If it bugs me while I am smoking the cigar then it comes off, it if doesn't it stays on until the burn gets close to it.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
Parrotheadduff

Do you take the label off your beer?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:05 AM   #16
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotheadduff View Post
Only when it's been a long dry spell if ya catch my drift......
Old 11-13-2008, 05:08 PM   #17
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotheadduff View Post

ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #18
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Deja vu??

It is my understanding that the bands were originally placed to avoid getting one's gloves dirty.

I do not wear gloves when I smoke and am normally very private so I take them off before lighting.
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #19
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

Trading: (7)
SLR
livwire68 is on a distinguished road

I remove if they come easily, if they dont I wait awhile. I am a band saver. I smoke what I like at that moment, could be a high end or a low end, to me it does not matter. I will leave it to others to guess what I am smoking, When I am in public it may just make someone feel better that they can afford a cigar with a band (reverse thinking) and I cant. Most people I see smokeing cigars are not "cigar smokers" its the cool thing to do at the time or just for a celebration.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #20
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

Cohiba Army (Active)

I seem to have touched a nerve with this post. Definitely not my intent. I certainly wasn't trying to imply folks were snobbish around here. My bad.