Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Why arent you writing reviews?

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17129

This thread got me thinking, why don't we have more people writing reviews on CA. This is such an great place, but our available info is still so limited.

I faced a similar dilemma with whether or not to buy some REs recently. It's really tough to lay down $20+ a stick blind, but luckily enough there was one review here and it helped me spend my money

I'm just as guilty of not writing reviews. In my whole time on CS and CA I've only written two I think, and one of them was one line.

Personally I don't write many reviews because I feel like I cant discern all the different nuances and flavors like some with a more refined or sensitive palate. I can only tell you if i liked it or not. Also, most of the time when I'm smoking I don't take notes on a particular cigar. Oh, and also because I'm not sure that somebody really gives a chit about what I have to say.

However, when somebody is looking for information like the thread linked above, a review or two might really help in their buying decision.

Why don't you write reviews? Uncomfortable with people criticizing it, or disagreeing with your "taste"?

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Why arent you writing reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post

Why don't you write reviews? Uncomfortable with people criticizing it, or disagreeing with your "taste"?
Critizism I am not to concerned about..but sometimes I feel people only want to read the more uncommon smokes. I pyro'd up a Cohiba Secretos last night and figured no one wanted to hear my thoughts of this little cigar so i just continued to smoke and enjoy.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #3
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Critizism I am not to concerned about..but sometimes I feel people only want to read the more uncommon smokes. I pyro'd up a Cohiba Secretos last night and figured no one wanted to hear my thoughts of this little cigar so i just continued to smoke and enjoy.
see, most of the time I could care less about what you're saying, but I actually would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this particular cigar

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

As I've heard someone else say here, I have the palate of a goat. My reviews consist of either, hated it, loved it, or nothing special.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Too lazy...
Old 06-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
As I've heard someone else say here, I have the palate of a goat. My reviews consist of either, hated it, loved it, or nothing special.
I think those specific comments on cigars, backup up with what you could/could not detect would be helpful.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Starchild
SERENITY NOW!

First Name: Andre
Trading: (11)
Montecristo
Starchild will become famous soon enough

I was thinking this same thing last night while smoking a stick I've heard nothing about here. I lack the refined palate, and flavor vocabulary to do it justice, but now I might have to throw something together.

Thanks for the kick
Old 06-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
JohnnyKay5
Armed Forces Tumbleweed

Trading: (22)
Partagas Army (Active)
JohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyKay5 has a spectacular aura about

they dont pay enough. I smoke to enjoy it. I'm not a fan of writing or reading alot. Call me ignorant or what not but i'd rather light up another smoke than write a page about the one I just smoked.

HIGH FIVE!
JohnnyKay5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Honestly, non one is goign to tear you apart for posting a review. Most people will say "nice review" or "dem's some purdy pictures!" but not "Wow, you suk." LOL. Reviews are to offer YOUR impressions on a stick. It's YOUR palate, which is different from everyone elses, so no one can honestly say you are wrong. It's fun to see reviews of the same cigar on varying maturity of palates- you might even taste a new subtlety in the cigar you;ve been smoking for years that you never had tasted before or identified.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #10
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
Honestly, non one is goign to tear you apart for posting a review. Most people will say "nice review" or "dem's some purdy pictures!" but not "Wow, you suk." LOL. Reviews are to offer YOUR impressions on a stick. It's YOUR palate, which is different from everyone elses, so no one can honestly say you are wrong. It's fun to see reviews of the same cigar on varying maturity of palates- you might even taste a new subtlety in the cigar you;ve been smoking for years that you never had tasted before or identified.
Hey MJ "wow u suk!"

My growing concern is that I'm only picking up certain flavors in sticks now..and am thinking "Wow all my reviews sounds the freakin same"
Old 06-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I think those specific comments on cigars, backup up with what you could/could not detect would be helpful.
I hear you Bao, it's just that most of the time I'm unaware what it is that I'm tasting. Now yesterday, I was smoking a Noella Reserva and, boom, there was chocolate, I got that. But I love Cabaiguans, and for the life of me I can't tell you what I'm tasting. I just know I like it.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Hey MJ "wow u suk!"

Beat me to it, Bao.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
I hear you Bao, it's just that most of the time I'm unaware what it is that I'm tasting. Now yesterday, I was smoking a Noella Reserva and, boom, there was chocolate, I got that. But I love Cabaiguans, and for the life of me I can't tell you what I'm tasting. I just know I like it.

Good to know Richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Beat me to it, Bao.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #14
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
This is point one^^^.Point two is I'm too darn cheap to buy Regional Editions
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #15
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
This is point one^^^.
you did a pretty good job here Dave!!

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16948

Old 06-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #16
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I just don't make the time to do them anymore. For a while on CS I would try to do one per week but now with my little one getting older (21 months today), I am smoking a little less and definitley online less.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #17
ahc4353

Well if you must know my palate has evolved beyond what our current vocabulary can describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKay5 View Post
they dont pay enough. I smoke to enjoy it. I'm not a fan of writing or reading alot. Call me ignorant or what not but i'd rather light up another smoke than write a page about the one I just smoked.

JK sums it up nicely for me.

I still believe you have to smoke the cigar yourself, preferably two, and make your own assessment.

A review is like movie critics, just because you don't like it doesn't mean I wont and visa versa.

Enjoy.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #18
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I disagree. This happened in another life BEFORE the change over. The words "shill" and "whore" were used in reference to the reviewer. I slowed down my reviewing after that. A little gun shyness.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #19
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar

Quote:
Good to know Richie
Not funny.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #20
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

I've only written a few reviews; none of them on CA. The reason why I don't write reviews is because

1) I consider my palate to be crap.
2) To do it right I need to have my full attention on smoking the cigar without any outside interferences and that happens almost never.
3) I don't enjoy writing reviews - it feels like work and I smoke cigars to relax. The words don't "flow" when I'm writing a review and it takes a long time to proofread and correct/clean it up.
4) I'm too lazy to do it.

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote