Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #41
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why arent you writing reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post

LOL Just changed that for ya!
Thank you!!! That is very much appreciated!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #42
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Why don't you write reviews?
because I hate writing reviews
Old 06-17-2009, 12:01 PM   #43
darkninja67

I tend to be less critical of the cigars I am smoking so I am not too objective of a smoker.
I should review sticks as I do not have a particular brand, vitola or wrapper I prefer.

Usually if the cigar draws well and is medium to full bodied I am happy.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #44
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
because I hate writing reviews
we noticed

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #45
MadAl
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
SLR
MadAl is on a distinguished road

When I smoke something that bowls me over I post it up. Did one on Camacho Select. Owe one on Montecristo Reserva Negra. It's been so freakin' cool and rainy here that I don't get to smoke much even though it's Spring and almost Summer
MadAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #46
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
I really enjoy doing reviews. However, 1) they take a lot of time (to do them right), 2) there are too many brands and interests in brands that I haven't tried yet, and 3) I have not felt a lot of love for the reviews that I have posted lately.

In case of criticism for #3: I don't do reviews for love but is nice to have some positive (any kind of) feedback. Case-in-point: my review of the Pinar Del Rio Clasic Exclusivo. I see 91 people have read it and no one posted a reply of any kind. http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12931

On the old site people use to give rep points for doing a nice job on a review... it doesn't happen there any more, or here, apparently. Like I said I don't do them for that reason. I've seen guys get more attention for posting a review on flavored sticks than on the more serious stuff.

I have about four or five reviews ready to post but I haven't had the energy to post them.

Sorry for the rant...

What he said.

Darrell, I do believe we are brothers from different mothers.

And...

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #47
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
On the subject of not getting alot of appreciation for reviews, I can understand both sides. I tend to write alot of stuff people don't give a crap about it makes my reviews long and for some people, hard to read, and certainly hard to appreciate. Nothing in reviews pisses me off more than reading 3 sentences posing as a review that say "all in all it was pretty good, I liked it." The supporting comments are about what color it was and how the pre-light draw tasted. I would rather bore somebody with why I selected the cigar and where I was when I smoked it than not give them enough information on the taste. People look for reviews to get an idea of whether or not a cigar is worth an investment, or to see if it matches the taste profile they like.
Sometimes people read a review and it is seems like more of an application to novelist school than a cigar review. 'How to bore the crap out of people in one paragraph or less 101'. But the writer thinks he is going to be thought of as the best reviewer ever. You see it alot on sites where they have a monthly review contest, and you get reviews that start off as some pirate fantasy and are three paragraphs in before the freaking cigar is clipped. People VIEW it, and get so mad, that not only are they not helped by the review, but the only comment they would leave is anger or sarcasm anyway, so it's best to move on and forget about it. Also, if the review contains the word "trusty", I just stop reading it. I am sick of hearing about people's TRUSTY PALIO. Or their Trusty Xicar. Or their trusty double ended rabbit with rotating beads.

What he said.

My additional thoughts & opinions in a minute...

Old 06-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #48
Chris.
PSHC!

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Chris. will become famous soon enoughChris. will become famous soon enough

Here are the two I've posted today.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17143

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17155
Old 06-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #49
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

Most of the reviews I have done in the past 6 months are in the Blind Taste Test thread in the MAW/PIF forum, I just don't usually port them over to other category once the stick is disclosed. I could probably start doing that.

I really like that thread--I think it's about my favorite thread in the whole forum. Why? Because it's fun, kind of "mysterious," and something of a game. It also gives me the opportunity to smoke some cigars that I might not purchase otherwise, and to share the same kind of cigars with folks. Between the smoking, taking notes, taking pictures, editing & uploading the pictures, the writing & posting up the reviews, it does take time. But to me that's part of the hobby. What I especially like about this hobby is discovering new flavors, tastes and aspects of a cigar. Sharing them with people is what I think this forum is about.

So I'll continue to do it, because it's my way of contributing to the board. Even though it's just my opinion, I figure it might be helpful to someone else. Folks seem to be more appreciative of the rare or the new cigar reviews, but I hope that someone can find something helpful in all the reviews that I post.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #50
Chris.
PSHC!

Partagas

I love the BTT thread. I have two reviews in there so far, that I have not ported to the review forum.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #51
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

I like writing reviews, since I post in a forum where you get alot of people asking about cigars that they have never had. They go onsale, and in a few minutes there is a thread where people are asking for opinions on on of the cigars onsale. I always chuckle and wonder if anyone else is thinking the same thing. With habanos, there is a situation where almost everybody smokes about the same thing in their first year, and they don't branch out much until A. an unfamiliar cigar goes onsale, or B. they are exploring and really need to know what to expect from one of their upcoming targets. It is also hard to justify writing a review when you have the palate of a billy-goat. I taste sweet, tangy, tea, tobacco and tar. If a cigar has any of those tastes, I am good to go. I can't figure out the mongo picture reviews, though. I always wonder how they can concentrate on taste when they are busy snapping photos. But I have a really short attention span. But in general I agree that there is not enough encouragement from others in response to reviews, but to me I don't think that is necessarily something you should expect. I CAN see how it would make someone less inclined to post one, thinking, "what's the point, no one is reading them anyway." But that's not so. Post-whores always chime in, "nice review", but there are hundreds of people reading your reviews, because they are an integral part of the smoking phenomenon. People DO read that stuff. If there is a cigar they want to know about badly, they are READING your review. VIEWS are what is important, because there is no reason to read a thread you have no interest in, believe me. So if you have 90 views and no comments, you still helped 50+ people. And that's what it is all about.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #52
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Moe..... we all need a lil reminder every now and again.

From now on, I am going to review everything I put in my mouth.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #53
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
Thanks Moe..... we all need a lil reminder every now and again.

From now on, I am going to review everything I put in my mouth.
EVERYTHING Tim?? Lets keep some of the graphic stuff private ok?

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #54
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Tazziedevil is on a distinguished road

I used to- I have my old review template on my computer still. My problem? No smokes to review at the moment
Posted via Mobile Device
Tazziedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #55
ehdg
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (6)
ehdg is on a distinguished road

Moe, Lets get to the main part of your post. Which review did you use to make the purchase and for what was it?
ehdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #56
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
Moe, Lets get to the main part of your post. Which review did you use to make the purchase and for what was it?
ERDM Italian RE

Old 06-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #57
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

One thing has crossed my mind in the past about reviews. On the CC section, everything is well organized by brand, and it's easy to find the review you want to read. In the NC section it's basically "everything else" (The other ones). To my mind this does two things:
1) It seems to place NC's in a "second class" status, implying they're lesser cigars than CC's
2) It makes it harder to find a review of an NC stick you're interested in. Also, when you do write a review it gets buried quickly, so I question whether many people really read them. If we could come up with a more organized method for NC reviews, I think more people may do them.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #58
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
One thing has crossed my mind in the past about reviews. On the CC section, everything is well organized by brand, and it's easy to find the review you want to read. In the NC section it's basically "everything else" (The other ones). To my mind this does two things:
1) It seems to place NC's in a "second class" status, implying they're lesser cigars than CC's
2) It makes it harder to find a review of an NC stick you're interested in. Also, when you do write a review it gets buried quickly, so I question whether many people really read them. If we could come up with a more organized method for NC reviews, I think more people may do them.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 AM   #59
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog View Post
I don't. There are so many more NC brands (seems like hundreds) that's it not really practical to format it like the habanos reviews. With a quick search, you can find anything easily, imo.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #60
Chris.
PSHC!

Partagas

I like that idea a lot. Maybe make sub forums for the most popular ones such as gurkha, RP, CAO, ERDM, RYJ, Uppmann, punch, drew estate, tat, illusione, etc. Or, you could do sub categories within the sub forums. Click on Tatuaje, and underneath you get tat, cabaiguan, etc...