Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-03-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Review: EP Carrillo Edicion Inaugural 2009

Size: Robusto, 53/8x52

Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano (3 year old)

Binder: Double, Nicaraguan and Dominican (5 year old)

Filler: Nicaraguan and Dominican (2-3 years old)

Strength: Medium

Grade: 9.3

Price: Box of 10, $130

As we work through the first couple months of 2010, it’s hard not to look back at all the excellent releases of 2009. It was, in my opinion, a great year for new releases. The EP Carrillo is another such release. The newly formed EPC Cigar Company was kind enough to send us a few samples of their introductory cigar.

Ernesto Perez-Carrillo is best known for the La Gloria Cubana brand. Having a desire to involve his son Ernie and daughter Lissette in the industry, he left General Cigar Company after 9 years and began work on a family business, EPC Cigar Company. Ernesto and company wanted to get a blend out there fast and chose to release a limited edition stick. Released at the 2009 IPCPR, this stick uses tobacco too rare for frequent use, and was made in only one size, a 5 3/8x 52 Robusto known as the Encore. The first full line is slated for release in Spring of 2010. Production of the Encore will cease with the introduction of the new line this Spring; the estimated production is 150,000, so pick them up while you can. You’ll find them at select retailers online, non-discounted, and at some B&M’s.

When preparing to choose a factory, Ernesto chose to locate in the Dominican. Here is a bit of information on his choice, from his website:
When time came to choose a location for the EPC Cigar Co. factory, Ernesto knew exactly where it needed to be located. In April 2009, he signed a lease on a 40,000 square foot stand-alone building in Santiago’s Zona Franca, and immediately began the construction of his dream factory, which he named Tabacalera La Alianza.

Here is where the tobacco will be fermented, aged, hand-made, and packaged under the supervision of Ernesto and his protégés, Yunior Torres and Edua Checo. Spread across 12 rolling tables, experienced cigar-rollers are in essence re-learning their craft as they are trained to roll cigars the “Cuban way” – the cigars are beautifully finished with a triple-seam cap.
There is not a lot of information on this cigar, so I relied heavily upon other reviews on the stick and interviews with Ernesto. Be sure to check out these folks!

* Patrick from Stogie Guys (review)
* Johnny from The Weekly Cigar (interview)
* Brian from The Stogie Review (review and interview)

This stick is quite a departure from Carrillo’s work with LGC, which was intentional, and I think you will be very happy with the product. Keep an eye on their website, which is in construction but currently has a little bit of information. You may also follow them on Twitter.

Pre-light, 1.8:
The Encore is silky smooth with a dark almond wrapper that is double banded with a nice gloss to it. The band is a very distinguished design in red, yellow, and black, with a second thin band bearing the details of Edicion Inaugural 2009. The aroma carries a rather strong barnyard that is cool and crisp. The construction is excellent, minus one soft spot at the head that is quite spongy; otherwise, a perfect roll that is nice and tight with a well packed and shaped foot, and a medium draw that reveals a flavor very similar to the exterior aroma.

Burn, 1.8:
The Encore started off burning a bit odd, with the edges burning more quickly than the center, with a small hole forming; however, this corrected itself quickly and turned into a slow and steady burn throughout. The ash was predominately white, though a bit flakey, and moved in various directions with jagged stacking through the first third. The final two-thirds presented a flawless burn. The smoke emitted was very thick and carried an excellent aroma of sweet tobacco, which was a departure from the dominate flavor profile. The draw tightened a little into the second third and required a bit more attention, but nothing major.

Flavor, 1.9:
This was one complex cigar! The first third started off with a shot of spice to peak your interest and moved into a very smooth and creamy cigar with minor hints of body. The second-third remained creamy with notes of burnt toast and a medium roast with a caramelized sweetness coating the pallet. The final third presented some fruit undertones with a flavor that remained complex and varied—this cigar definitely had a moving character to it.

Overall, the flavor profile was extremely well balanced and the age on the tobacco is noted immediately, with all the flavors being perfectly married. I can’t imagine what some time will do to this stick. Reading other reviews on this stick, a smorgasbord of flavors was mentioned. For me it was the same, getting a palate balance of spice and sweet, complimented by barnyard notes of hay and grass, earth notes of pencil wood and oak barrel, and random hints of fruit. This was a joy to smoke.

Overall, 2.8:
I debated the scoring in this category; at $13 a stick, and the fact that is a limited run cigar, I made a minor deduction. The experimental wrapper used for this cigar will not be available again until 2012; perhaps then, when grown in larger quantity, the price will decrease a bit and the stick will be easier to come by. I had to pace myself on this one, as I never wanted to put it down in between puffs; it was so complex and yet incredibly smooth. Though a seasoned veteran, this is one heck of an introductory cigar! If you see these, pick up a box because I doubt this exact blend will be produced again.

(Total: 9.3)
Old 02-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Review: EP Carrillo Edicion Inaugural 2009

I have to say that I found this cigar to be extremely unpleasant. It was fully one dimensional and tasted like pipe tobacco.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I smoked this cigar and didn't enjoy it at all. I gave it to e-man to try it before putting it out and he didn't enjoy it either. He said it tasted like pipe tobacco and I agreed. I might try another one in a year or so.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
OHRD

Do you remember when y'all had yours? Was it close to the release in August or more recently? I just had it last week, so its got some humi-time. I thought it was an excellent cigar though.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
Do you remember when y'all had yours? Was it close to the release in August or more recently? I just had it last week, so its got some humi-time. I thought it was an excellent cigar though.
I had it the beginning of January
Old 02-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
OHRD

That sucks; it's hard to give it another shot at $13 a pop too...
Old 02-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
That sucks; it's hard to give it another shot at $13 a pop too...
Yeah. I really want to try another one to see if I just got a dud or not, but man, $13 can buy some nice Tats or CC's. I think I am in the minority that I didn't like it b/c my local B&M said it was their favorite cigar of the year.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
OHRD

Yeah, the stick I had was awesome! The fact that these are gonna be around past March may make it work another shot...his regular line comes out soon and it should be cheaper...
Old 02-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
I have to say that I found this cigar to be extremely unpleasant. It was fully one dimensional and tasted like pipe tobacco.
Quote:
I tried this stick when it first came out and e-man, I agree with you very much. It was a bit disappointing to me because I expected so much from this cigar.

Fast forward 3-4 months later, tried it again and thought, wow this smoke has gotten much better. I think this smoke with some time has a lot of potential.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

I split a box of these with another botl recently. I smoked one and thought it was medium-bodied and pretty good with hints of greatness (some complexity in the middle third and a nice finish). I will keep the other four in the humi for several months before trying again. At $12 each, these need to show me a bit more to justify the price.

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote