Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Gymrite
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jim
Trading: (0)
Gymrite is on a distinguished road
Default Place to smoke in Birmingham

Anyone recommend a good place to smoke in Birimgham, AL.? I have a lay over there
on my way to the big easy.
Gymrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation
Default Re: Place to smoke in Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymrite View Post
Anyone recommend a good place to smoke in Birimgham, AL.? I have a lay over there
on my way to the big easy.
How long of a layover? Take 10-15 minutes to get there from airport, but I'd recommend Cigars and More, Trussville store. Assuming you're driving: Leave airport on Airport Hwy (only way out), about a mile, go under interstate, turn left far side of interstate onto ramp. WARNING: I-20/59 splits right about the airport exit, and ramp lane goes onto I-20, not I-59, so you have to hit ramp fast, immediately get over to the left lanes. I-59 north to the I-459 bypass, stay in right lane, cause exit is right after I-459 splits off. Exit is cloverleaf, so when you get off, keep to right, then straight on U.S.Hwy 11 (Gadsden Hwy). Strip shopping center on right, just past Raceway gas station, store on far right end. Addy is: 1423 Gadsden Hwy.

To go back to airport, exit to the left out of parking lot (heavy traffic area warning), go about a block, get in turn lane before I-459. Turn left onto ramp, at top of ramp, head over to far left lane. Stay on interstate southbound, I-20 will merge with I-59 about 5 miles or so, on a big sweeping curve to the right. Just past merging, Airport Blvd is to the right, so, at I-20 merge, get over to far right, exit at end of curve. Turn left at bottom of ramp, takes you straight back to terminal. If you are taking a taxi, then none of this matters! Just know you want the U.S. Hwy 11 (Gadsden Hwy) exit off I-459, then north a block or so to first strip center on the right.

Smoking area in rear, decent humidor, knowledgeable people (mostly).

Enjoy
Old 10-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
How long of a layover? Take 10-15 minutes to get there from airport, but I'd recommend Cigars and More, Trussville store. Assuming you're driving: Leave airport on Airport Hwy (only way out), about a mile, go under interstate, turn left far side of interstate onto ramp. WARNING: I-20/59 splits right about the airport exit, and ramp lane goes onto I-20, not I-59, so you have to hit ramp fast, immediately get over to the left lanes. I-59 north to the I-459 bypass, stay in right lane, cause exit is right after I-459 splits off. Exit is cloverleaf, so when you get off, keep to right, then straight on U.S.Hwy 11 (Gadsden Hwy). Strip shopping center on right, just past Raceway gas station, store on far right end. Addy is: 1423 Gadsden Hwy.

To go back to airport, exit to the left out of parking lot (heavy traffic area warning), go about a block, get in turn lane before I-459. Turn left onto ramp, at top of ramp, head over to far left lane. Stay on interstate southbound, I-20 will merge with I-59 about 5 miles or so, on a big sweeping curve to the right. Just past merging, Airport Blvd is to the right, so, at I-20 merge, get over to far right, exit at end of curve. Turn left at bottom of ramp, takes you straight back to terminal. If you are taking a taxi, then none of this matters! Just know you want the U.S. Hwy 11 (Gadsden Hwy) exit off I-459, then north a block or so to first strip center on the right.

Smoking area in rear, decent humidor, knowledgeable people (mostly).

Enjoy
+1
Old 10-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

If not Cigars and More then Tobacco Shop off Highway 31. I know the guys who own and operate either store and either store is a great place to stop. I tend to prefer Cigars and More (I actually prefer the store on Hwy 280 but Trussville is very nice too) mostly because the guy who runs it is closer to my age and a few of my friends hang out there.

If you can't venture away from the airport I'm afraid to say you may be out of luck. Downtown Bham has some nice bars and smoking friendly restuarants in an area called Five Points South... but it's really probably just as much time to get there as it is to Trussville... maybe more depending on traffic.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
If not Cigars and More then Tobacco Shop off Highway 31. I know the guys who own and operate either store and either store is a great place to stop. I tend to prefer Cigars and More (I actually prefer the store on Hwy 280 but Trussville is very nice too) mostly because the guy who runs it is closer to my age and a few of my friends hang out there.

If you can't venture away from the airport I'm afraid to say you may be out of luck. Downtown Bham has some nice bars and smoking friendly restuarants in an area called Five Points South... but it's really probably just as much time to get there as it is to Trussville... maybe more depending on traffic.
I purposely left out the Hwy 280 location of Cigars and More since I don't know your time restraints. Highway 280 traffic can be a cast-iron bitttch with only a little snafu!! The same thing for Five Points South area! Trussville is about the easiest accessed. Highway 31's Tobacco Shop would be a very acceptable alternative, probably about as close distance wise, but in downtown, and more likely to encounter traffic issues, especially if rush hour time is involved. Of course, if rush hour is involved, Trussville would be just as big of a mess!!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Bump of an old thread. I am in b'ham (actually staying in Fultondale). Whats up here on the north side? I have a car, will travel.

MINI HERF maybe Thursday night?
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Bump of an old thread. I am in b'ham (actually staying in Fultondale). Whats up here on the north side? I have a car, will travel.

MINI HERF maybe Thursday night?
Wrong side of the city for cigars! Nothing on the north side that I'm aware of (unless you drive an hour or so to Huntsville and smoke with Clayton (cmitch) and his bunch from north Bama. Closest is probably the Cigars and More in Trussville. There store on Hwy280 is nicer, but 280 traffic is ALWAYS a iron-clad B,,,ITCH. Would love to herf with you, but I'm headed to Evansville, IN on Wednesday to spend some time with my wife. I hate that I'll miss you. Honestly, you best bet would probably be to get in touch with Clayton. There's a great store in the Huntsville area that he gives his business to!!

BTW, why Fultondale?
Old 09-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
Wrong side of the city for cigars! Nothing on the north side that I'm aware of (unless you drive an hour or so to Huntsville and smoke with Clayton (cmitch) and his bunch from north Bama. Closest is probably the Cigars and More in Trussville. There store on Hwy280 is nicer, but 280 traffic is ALWAYS a iron-clad B,,,ITCH. Would love to herf with you, but I'm headed to Evansville, IN on Wednesday to spend some time with my wife. I hate that I'll miss you. Honestly, you best bet would probably be to get in touch with Clayton. There's a great store in the Huntsville area that he gives his business to!!

BTW, why Fultondale?

Make sure you hit up Cigar Cigar! While you are in Evansville,

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Training around town with a coworker . He told me to stay here.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

The 290 store has a Pete Johnson/tat event tonight. May make the drive.