Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Trading: (10)
smitty81 has disabled reputation
Default Storing cigars in a Wineador?

I recently picked up a wineador and had the intentions of putting all my cigars from my humidor into the wineador.

Well......someone recently shared their opinion with me and I was wondering what some of you other guys had thought on the subject.

Here is what he had to say.

"I only pack second rate tobacco in it. My traditional humis are for my creme de la creme brands and ready to smoke picks. I rotate my aging varieties from cooler, fridge and tupperware and other non wooden units into my finely built wooden containers for smoking them during the next few weeks/months ahead. I find that wineadores are mostly eye candy and not really suitable for everyday cigar storage. I rarely smoke a stick out from any of those units. They just don't bring out the flavor I expect from a nicely prepared smoke."

I think I can fit my whole stash in my wineador and was planning to use the humidor as overflow for the time being.

I have enough beads to maintain the wineador but I'm not sure I have enough to maintain both the fridge and the humidor. I wasn't really wanting to buy any more beads as of right now.

Is there any reason at all I should leave my better sticks in my humidor?

Any thoughts guys?
smitty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Storing cigars in a Wineador?

I have a wineador and have no problems with sticks tasting funny or tasting "off" I got it to move outta my wooden humidors and have since out grown that one also. Hope that helps
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

First Name: Scotty
Trading: (31)
Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

I think that as long as there is cedar in the wineador, you will be fine. Heck, I smoke sticks fresh out of my coolidor and they taste great. Just store them in cedar cigar boxes and it'll be no different than a premium (giggle) desktop.
Lockspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I think that a wine cooler is a fine storage medium. Plenty of people store their cigars in wine coolers -- good cigars -- for years with out any problems.

While cedar can add flavors to cigars it's not required. Cedar is another method of holding in / releasing some moisture, but it is not humidification.

This hobby (like others) has a lot of differing opinions. Give it a shot and see what happens. The wine cooler will certainly not damage your cigars, so you have nothing to lose.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Sounds like "he" has no clue.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Sounds like "he" has no clue.
well thats why I came to you guys Bob...........I knew you guys would have the right answer.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I dont make any determination as to the "quality" of my cigars. If I am going to smoke them, they all better be good. I have been using coolers and two 28btl Vinotemps for storage for almost 5 years. I do have some random singles in a desktop just for ease of access.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
smitty81
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I think that a wine cooler is a fine storage medium. Plenty of people store their cigars in wine coolers -- good cigars -- for years with out any problems.

While cedar can add flavors to cigars it's not required. Cedar is another method of holding in / releasing some moisture, but it is not humidification.

This hobby (like others) has a lot of differing opinions. Give it a shot and see what happens. The wine cooler will certainly not damage your cigars, so you have nothing to lose.
This is kind of what I was thinking.

I have a handfull of cigars from another place that I was debating on putting in here. I think I will go ahead and do it.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Lockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really niceLockspur is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I use the cedar more for aroma than anything. Combined with cigars makes for an outstanding cologne.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

"I only pack second rate tobacco in it. My traditional humis are for my creme de la creme brands and ready to smoke picks. I rotate my aging varieties from cooler, fridge and tupperware and other non wooden units into my finely built wooden containers for smoking them during the next few weeks/months ahead. I find that wineadores are mostly eye candy and not really suitable for everyday cigar storage. I rarely smoke a stick out from any of those units. They just don't bring out the flavor I expect from a nicely prepared smoke."

"He" has his opinion for sure, sounds straight out of Cigar Aficionado. Don't think any way is the "best" do it how you like
Old 03-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

I keep all my cigars in my wineador everything from Gurkha's to CC's. I don't smoke the cigars I pull out right away, I let them sit for 4-24 hours then smoke them.
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
I recently picked up a wineador and had the intentions of putting all my cigars from my humidor into the wineador.

Well......someone recently shared their opinion with me and I was wondering what some of you other guys had thought on the subject.

Here is what he had to say.

I think I can fit my whole stash in my wineador and was planning to use the humidor as overflow for the time being.

I have enough beads to maintain the wineador but I'm not sure I have enough to maintain both the fridge and the humidor. I wasn't really wanting to buy any more beads as of right now.

Is there any reason at all I should leave my better sticks in my humidor?Any thoughts guys?
No.

Whoever told you this, while certainly entitled to his opinion as to what he prefers, has no clue as to the suitability of a wineador as storage. Remo is spot on - sounds just like something/someone from Cigar Aficionado.

Also, his comment about "second rate tobacco" leads me to believe he believes himself to be an authority on what constitutes first rate tobacco. I don't claim to be anywhere near an expert but I can guarantee you my opinions are different than his.

Maybe you've stumbled upon the author of the "Rule of Threes"
Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #13
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
No.

Whoever told you this, while certainly entitled to his opinion as to what he prefers, has no clue as to the suitability of a wineador as storage. Remo is spot on - sounds just like something/someone from Cigar Aficionado.

Also, his comment about "second rate tobacco" leads me to believe he believes himself to be an authority on what constitutes first rate tobacco. I don't claim to be anywhere near an expert but I can guarantee you my opinions are different than his.

Maybe you've stumbled upon the author of the "Rule of Threes"
Did I hear rule of threes? Time for my signature quote.

I don't keep my creme de la creme cigars as they usually go fast.
The "second rate" tobacco has its own storage indeed. In the lake behind my house where they are tossed if they suck.

I like to remind folks that most of his life in Cuba, my dad kept his cigars in an unsealed night table, with a sea sponge in a ramekin, and life was just dandy. Heck if they knew what a humidor was.

Store them any way you want as long as they don't get soaked or dry.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post

So let me get this straight. My very, very expensive hand-built Aristocrat is crap for long term storage and aging? I would be better off with tupperware?

I have no comment.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

If you clean the winador out well and let it air out there's really no need for cedar, well except for whatever shelves / trays you end up with. I love my winador, I have a Daniel Marshall desktop that was pretty expensive (can I go to your friend's for a play date now?), I use that more for sticks I'm going to smoke soon, I use it as a dry box to a degree, plus it looks nice and nice to just open and pull out one of my first rate cigars.

The winador has many benefits including temp control for people that live in very hot climates, not to mention you can't beat the seal on it for keeping RH where you want it.

Your friend has very strong opinions it seems and he certainly knows everything there is to know about cigars, that being said I'm trying to figure out why such an dapper aficionado would even bother to buy or own second rate ceegars.

Go with the winador you will outgrow it soon enough as it is.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I keep all my creme de la creme brands buried in the backyard.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I keep all my creme de la creme brands buried in the backyard.
Next to the exes?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockspur View Post
Next to the exes?
I didn't kill those women.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
Lockspur
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I didn't kill those women.
Right. Twas the Cubans.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockspur View Post
Right. Twas the Cubans.
Stupid sexy Cubans.