Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #41
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Coolidors

i read somewhere that if you boil filtered water or something along those lines its the same as using distilled. might be able to Google it and find something in case you need water in a bind. for me im not gonna try to make distilled water when i can walk down the street to the store and grab a gallon for under a buck.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #42
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
i read somewhere that if you boil filtered water or something along those lines its the same as using distilled. might be able to Google it and find something in case you need water in a bind. for me im not gonna try to make distilled water when i can walk down the street to the store and grab a gallon for under a buck.
Agreed, why would anyone want to short cut? Unless you are MacGyver.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #43
forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Only had a brief look, but it seems really expensive. I like the idea of getting an 'at home' distallation kit, but for 150 quid I think I'll pass. £9 every couple of years seems fine to me... Who knows, in 16 years I might be kicking myself for not having splashed out on the kit.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #44
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

The cost per 10 litre plastic container is £10.99 + VAT – but we offer discounts for customers purchasing more than four containers.

They may sell smaller bottles as well, give them a call.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 PM   #45
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forms View Post
I eventually managed to get a litre bottle from from a model-train company. I had tried chemists, hardware/motoring shops, petrol stations, supermarkets (grocery stores as well) with no luck. The bottle I bought ended up being about £9 with postage - would've lasted for ages if I hadn't cleaned my fridge with it, but there's still a fair bit left so it's not the end of the world. I'm not certain, but it seems that distilled water is harder to get hold of in the UK, than in the States...
Can you get De-Ionized water? It's similar in purity.

In a pinch, you can use reverse osmosis purified water, but the problem is that the purity of RO water can vary greatly by the equipment used to produce it. Some of the larger, higher pressure systems are very close to distilled in purity, but some of the lower pressure or poorly maintained rigs can leave quite a bit of impurities in the water. Another thing to watch for is bottled RO water that states "Minerals added for taste", while I doubt that these minerals will affect your cigars in anything but an extremely long exposure (many, many years), they might plate out on your humidifier.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #46
forms

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Can you get De-Ionized water? It's similar in purity.

In a pinch, you can use reverse osmosis purified water, but the problem is that the purity of RO water can vary greatly by the equipment used to produce it. Some of the larger, higher pressure systems are very close to distilled in purity, but some of the lower pressure or poorly maintained rigs can leave quite a bit of impurities in the water. Another thing to watch for is bottled RO water that states "Minerals added for taste", while I doubt that these minerals will affect your cigars in anything but an extremely long exposure (many, many years), they might plate out on your humidifier.
According to the guys at Heartfelt, purified water isn't good for their beads. You can pick up purified water from pretty much any chemist in London, but it's not guarenteed to have it's trace elements (like calcium etc.) removed...
Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #47
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocks View Post
I got one of these from Walmart to store my singles & 5 packs (only cost about $6). It takes up a bit of room, but helps keep everything organized in my coolidor. Buy boxes if you can, and like others have said, check with a local B&M, usually they're more than willing to give you old boxes. I like to take the tops off mine and let the air circulate.

(Humidity is a little high, but it was a pretty hot and humid day here today)
Resurrecting this thread from the dead.....Mike that 1st pic, it looks like your smokes are in baggies...is this true, and I am surprised this actually works and no one blasted you.....anyone else wanna chime in, is this a good one to use for singles? If yes, I'm getting one...and I think I am def gonna go the coolidor route.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #48
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

FYI Wal-Mart is having a sale on their 120qt coleman coolers right now

Coleman 120qt cooler
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #49
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Resurrecting this thread from the dead.....Mike that 1st pic, it looks like your smokes are in baggies...is this true, and I am surprised this actually works and no one blasted you.....anyone else wanna chime in, is this a good one to use for singles? If yes, I'm getting one...and I think I am def gonna go the coolidor route.
Don't look like they are in baggies to me. Just their own cello. However, there is nothing wrong with storing your cigars in baggies in a cooler. Common practice, really.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #50
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Don't look like they are in baggies to me. Just their own cello. However, there is nothing wrong with storing your cigars in baggies in a cooler. Common practice, really.
And with this container? Would you advise to store singles in there?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #51
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Sure, looks like it works.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #52
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'm with Brother Radio on this one... I don't see ANY concern for keeping them in the bin, as long as it doesnt' have any overly-plasticy smells to it.

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #53
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa View Post
I'm with Brother Radio on this one... I don't see ANY concern for keeping them in the bin, as long as it doesnt' have any overly-plasticy smells to it.
Hmmmm, maybe I am just over-thinking or being too paranoid, but wouldn't have one of these defeat the purpose of having a humi? It doesn't look like it seals well and if it's only $6 why isn't everyone using these.

I'm not trying to nitpick, I am just trying to wrap my mind around this, I think it's an awesome idea, it just seems too easy for it to work correctly.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #54
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Hmmmm, maybe I am just over-thinking or being too paranoid, but wouldn't have one of these defeat the purpose of having a humi? It doesn't look like it seals well and if it's only $6 why isn't everyone using these.

I'm not trying to nitpick, I am just trying to wrap my mind around this, I think it's an awesome idea, it just seems too easy for it to work correctly.
It is inside of his coolidor so it only functions as a shelving unit, his coolidor keeps the RH around it.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #55
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

Quote:

I think you are missing the part where the $6 drawer contraption is placed inside of the coolerdor.
It is simply a storage solution.
Others use empty boxes and some use trays.
Whatever works for you!
Old 08-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #56
tedrodgerscpa
Palmetto State Herf Crew!

First Name: Ted
Trading: (87)
QdO
tedrodgerscpa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
It is inside of his coolidor so it only functions as a shelving unit, his coolidor keeps the RH around it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I think you are missing the part where the $6 drawer contraption is placed inside of the coolerdor.
It is simply a storage solution.
Others use empty boxes and some use trays.
Whatever works for you!
What they said...

Quote:

Mr. Bass,

we've ALL been there... countless hours spent staring at a hygrometer, hoping our precious babies will be O.K.... Before long, you'll be checking it once a month to make sure everything is O.K. and just how you left it.

I find that having empty cigar boxes (easily and readily available at your local B&M) will do wonders for storage as long as you put them inside a coolidor, vinotemp, or huge tupperware container. Mike chose to put his in a 'cosmetics drawer' (at least that's what my wife uses that exact rig for), and the entire contraption inside the cooler.

It takes a lot less due diligence than you think. I've been at this hobby for quite a while, and after time it seems like a piece of cake. But, we all remember starting down the slope and the precious investment.

Until you get comfortable, we'll be here to answer your questions.

Everyday I'm shufflin...
tedrodgerscpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #57
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

What do people have the beads in.. What kind of sack are you using?
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #58
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
What do people have the beads in.. What kind of sack are you using?
Depends on the beads. You can buy tubes (http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...at=Empty+Tubes), special bags (http://www.cigarmony.com/8ouncemeshbagholder.aspx) or use (tied off) panty-hose for Heartfelt or similar beads. My HCM beads come prepackaged in bags.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #59
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Depends on the beads. You can buy bags or use (tied off) panty-host for Heartfelt or similar beads. My HCM beads come prepackaged in bags.
I was a panty host in college, but usually tied up rather than tied off.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #60
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I have the beads, just trying to see what to put them in.
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote