Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 06-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough
Default How to Make a Good Martini

I don't recall that I've ever had a martini before, and I'm interested in trying some. I know that the measurements of vermouth to gin are critical. Would some of you be good enough to recommend your brands of gin and vermouth, and the ratio you use? Olive, onion, or twist? Thanks!
Old 06-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: How to Make a Good Martini

Here's a good thread for gins.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=157

I like my martinis about 5 to 1 (~ 1/2 capful per generous 2 shots of gin). Shaken vigorously and strained into a martini glass with 2 olives.

Experiment with the vermouth. Some folks believe having the bottle in the same room is plenty. I prefer a splash.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Pour the vermouth into the pitcher, over rocks. Pour the vermouth OUT of the pitcher, leaving in the rocks. Add the gin/vodka, but make it a good one - no cheepo only fit for mixing. Shake/stir slightly, so not to bruise the martini - i.e., melt too much ice that waters down the cocktail. I prefer olives - at least two. Sip, don't chug. Repeat as required.

Stock dry vermouth is fine - don't waste money on better. Spend that on Tanqueray or better gin (Sapphire?), Absolut or better vodka (Gray Goose?)
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post

I like my martinis about 5 to 1 (~ 1/2 capful per generous 2 shots of gin). Shaken vigorously and strained into a martini glass with 2 olives.

Experiment with the vermouth. Some folks believe having the bottle in the same room is plenty. I prefer a splash.
My thoughts exactly! Well, except for the olive part - I prefer a twist of lemon.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Stock dry vermouth is fine - don't waste money on better. Spend that on Tanqueray or better gin (Sapphire?), Absolut or better vodka (Gray Goose?)
Stock vermouth CAN be fine - Martini & Rossi, the most common type, is. However, I've also been to stores that only have Gallo Vermouth - which has an entirely different flavor (much worse for a martini, IMHO).

Absolut, for a martini???

Gin: North Shore, Hendricks, Bombay Sapphire, Plymouth, Bulldog, Beefeater

Vodka (can hardly remember, I stopped drinking it a while back): Armadale, Youri Dolgorouki, Xellent, Turi, Belvedere
Old 06-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

Shaken ... it's an art ... you don't want melted water it it ... but get it COLD ... I often shake it, pour it and stick the martini in the freezer for a few minutes.

Two olives ... not flavored olives ... get the big ones

Don't be afraid of the vermouth (otherwise it's just cold gin) ... at least a splash if not a touch more ... this is very much a matter of personal taste. I second the Martini and Rossi vermouth ... the fresher the better. And, don't skimp on getting GOOD gin ... Bombay (regular ... don't care for the Sapphire for some reason) is my favorite ... maybe some Tanqueray 10.

Remember ... one is not enough ...
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1500 View Post
Shaken ... it's an art ... you don't want melted water it it ... but get it COLD ... I often shake it, pour it and stick the martini in the freezer for a few minutes.

Two olives ... not flavored olives ... get the big ones

Don't be afraid of the vermouth (otherwise it's just cold gin) ... at least a splash if not a touch more ... this is very much a matter of personal taste. I second the Martini and Rossi vermouth ... the fresher the better. And, don't skimp on getting GOOD gin ... Bombay (regular ... don't care for the Sapphire for some reason) is my favorite ... maybe some Tanqueray 10.

Remember ... one is not enough ...
Two is too many.
Three is just right.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
HawkEye19
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jason
Trading: (6)
HawkEye19 is on a distinguished road

I saw a recipe one time where is was a half shot of dry and a half shot of sweet vermouth. Pour into your shaker, shake and pour vermouth out. Then add gin (*shudder* vodka). Makes a right tasty martini.
HawkEye19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

I use vodka in my martinis, not gin. I shake the vodka with lots of CRUSHED ice, and I don't put olive juice, and a use a squirt bottle to spritz a TINY amount of vermouth onto the glass, then i pour the shaken vodka into the glass, and squeeze a tiny amount of lemon peel in it. MMMMM vodka.
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie204 View Post
I use vodka in my martinis, not gin. I shake the vodka with lots of CRUSHED ice, and I don't put olive juice, and a use a squirt bottle to spritz a TINY amount of vermouth onto the glass, then i pour the shaken vodka into the glass, and squeeze a tiny amount of lemon peel in it. MMMMM vodka.
Sounds good. But it ain't no martini.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkEye19 View Post
I saw a recipe one time where is was a half shot of dry and a half shot of sweet vermouth. Pour into your shaker, shake and pour vermouth out. Then add gin (*shudder* vodka). Makes a right tasty martini.
I actually like a martini with this mix of vermouths ... but leave the vermouth in. It ends up being 1 oz vermouth to 2 oz gin. Pretty nice.

I tried an "old school" martini - equal parts vermouth and gin - but that was a bit too much vermouth for my taste. Give that a try though, you might like it.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
adampc22

Quote:
james bond drinks vodka martinis lol
Old 06-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #13
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
a vodka martini, is still a martini. It's just one made with vodka.

A cuban cigar is still a cigar. It's just one made with cuban tobacco, in cuba. etc
Old 06-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
adampc22

Quote:

A cuban cigar is still a cigar. It's just one made with cuban tobacco, in cuba. etc
right on
Old 06-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:

keep tellin yourself that.

I guess if I chill lemonade and pour it in a martini glass, I can call it a lemonade martini.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #16
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

Quote:
Nonsense!!!
An analogy, if you please:
If you mix gin, vermouth & an olive, its called a Martini.
If you mix gin, vermouth & an onion, its called a Gibson.

Now, I ask you, if merely changing the garnish of this concoction changes the name of the drink, how in the H3LL can you change the main ingredient and call it the same thing?!! Answer: You can't.

A mix of vodka, vermouth & an olive (or twist of lemon, if you prefer) is NOT called a Martini, it is called a Kangaroo. Now stop calling a daffodil a rose.

Thank you.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:10 PM   #17
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

Oh, nearly forgot!!

My idea of a great Martini calls for a 3:1 mix of gin to dry vermouth, 2 drops of Angostura bitters, & 2 large olives. Preferred gin is Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire. Preferred vermouth is Martini & Rossi, but I'm not picky.
STIR the mix with ice (shaking just dilutes it). If you've never tried the bitters, I highly recommend it. If you want to mix the vermouth 1/2 dry & 1/2 sweet, that works, too. But don't just give me a 'breath' of vermouth. That's just cold gin.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:46 AM   #18
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

Quote:

keep tellin yourself that.

I guess if I chill lemonade and pour it in a martini glass, I can call it a lemonade martini.
They have all those already. "apple martini, crantini, lychee martini, chocotini" - whether they're blasphemous or not...really? who gives a sh1t, people drink what they enjoy, does it truly matter what they want to label something? Not in the least.

vodka martini is classic like it's gin counterpart, and is in most cocktail books.
http://www.drinkoftheweek.com/special/martini.htm
http://cocktails.suite101.com/articl..._vodka_martini

That's all from me, as I don't really care about the semantics anymore
Old 06-21-2009, 05:55 AM   #19
dandaman

ARID I prefer in & out w/vermouth & of course tanqueray." SALUTE " I agree Pete, vodka's is not a martini.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #20
GWN
Snow City

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
GWN will become famous soon enoughGWN will become famous soon enough

+1 for vodka martinis (or whatever you wanna call 'em).
I also dig jalepeno-stuffed olives in mine, five of em, but I'm usually pretty hungry after work.