Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #61
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Palio Concerns -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornrow_Wallis View Post
Not that I disagree with sending the cutter back, but this is assuming you buy the tube of glue and use it once on the palio and for nothing else. I use that crap all the time for various little household chores. I would get added value every time I used the jb weld. It is nice to have around so I don't necessarily see it as adding to the cost of the cutter. To each his own.
Amen to that, use it once and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Of course you could live in that other world where stuff never breaks.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #62
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
Apply adhesive, close cutter, gap set, glue dries overnight, problem solved.
May be worth a try some time. IF it doesn't void the warranty, which I doubt it would. I'll have to read more up on that.
Quote:
Whoa, I hope you don't ever purchase a vehicle!

Of course we'd like things we buy to work perfectly all the time, but sometimes they don't. Can you send it back and get a new one, of course, if someone is actually to lazy to send it back, then that's their problem, Palio can't fix what they don't know is broke. For me, I have JB Weld at home, you could use something else as well. I guess just me, I'd rather fix it in 24 hours of glue dry time, and have a perfectly working item tomorrow than wait a week for a company to replace something that the consumer could've fixed on their own. My little part to help Palio as well, they don't have to ship out a free product, pay shipping, take the time to do it.
As with the car analogy I used earlier, if I'm paying a premium for a shiny new car and I considered the warranty as a selling point, then I'd expect to use that warranty. I have most always owned used cars, and have thus expected to have to pay for repairs. Again, when I've bought $2 cutters and lighters I've not expected them to last long. When I buy a cutter or lighter that literally costs 20-30 times that amount I expect it to work.

If I had JB Weld, or something similar on hand I might give it a shot after hearing your sound suggestion. But I don't, and shouldn't be expected to go out and spend the extra cash to get some when I paid for that shiny warranty. I'll just wait until I get to a B&M to replace my 2 Palios. Meanwhile I'll use my Xikars and when the Palio that comes apart does so, I'll simply put it back together again.
Quote:
Not that I disagree with sending the cutter back, but this is assuming you buy the tube of glue and use it once on the palio and for nothing else. I use that crap all the time for various little household chores. I would get added value every time I used the jb weld. It is nice to have around so I don't necessarily see it as adding to the cost of the cutter. To each his own.
Interesting. Perhaps I'll pick some up some time.
Quote:
That's totally unrealistic.

Ever had a car repair?

A cutter, yeah, it should work, but if it's an easy fix, I'm not wasting the time of the company when I can simply do it myself. I'm just not that lazy.
Yep, had car repairs. When buying a new car I shouldn't have to worry about that.

I think your use of the word lazy is somewhat offensive. In the sense I see you using it, it means that if someone isn't doing what you do, then they are lazy. Which would include myself and several others. I'm not sure that you are consciously doing this, but I thought I'd mention it. I don't think this is your intent, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:25 PM   #63
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Thank you. duh, that's where I've read it before... LOL
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #64
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
Yes, they do wear out. Which is why if were not for the great warranty then a $2 cutter would be preferable.
So the warranty is the only reason you bought the Palio at $44 more than the $2 cutter?

And you did it twice?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #65
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
...For me, I have JB Weld at home...
Quote:
...I use that crap all the time for various little household chores. I would get added value every time I used the jb weld. It is nice to have around so I don't necessarily see it as adding to the cost of the cutter...
The problem is that I go out and buy JB Weld (or super glue or some other glue) use it, and either forget where I put it and go out and buy another one, or by the time I get around to needing the glue, it has dried up...

The bottom line is that some people like to fix it themselves and some don't. Both are OK -- just like cigars it's all up to the individual to do what he (or she) likes...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:33 PM   #66
Tyler

Thanks for the link to the website about the care. I had forgotten to look it up and I didn't know they had their own website.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #67
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
So the warranty is the only reason you bought the Palio at $44 more than the $2 cutter?

And you did it twice?
No, it's not the only reason. But I would not have purchased it without the warranty. Come on now, Adam. I would think that you would have seen the parts of my posts stating that they are great, cutters, most don't break, etc. This thread is titled "Palio Concerns," not "Another Hooray for Palio Thread." So, I'm stating my concerns. I think most of them cut well, look sharp, and seem to last forever. Mine did not.

Edit: A $2 cutter would preferable over a broken $40-60 cutter that did not have a warranty, no matter how great the quality when operational. Ferdie's beautiful AVO punch was just tits until it broke and he couldn't get it replaced IIRC.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #68
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
The problem is that I go out and buy JB Weld (or super glue or some other glue) use it, and either forget where I put it and go out and buy another one, or by the time I get around to needing the glue, it has dried up...

The bottom line is that some people like to fix it themselves and some don't. Both are OK -- just like cigars it's all up to the individual to do what he (or she) likes...
I have a huge bottle of Gorilla Glue that I got to use twice ever. I needed it recently to fix something and it was hard as nails. I kept it in a cool, shaded location with the cap on. A waste of $20.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #69
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Just pointing out that the way you wrote that, it implied that the warranty was the only difference.

We both know that's not true, hence the
Old 07-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #70
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I have a huge bottle of Gorilla Glue that I got to use twice ever. I needed it recently to fix something and it was hard as nails. I kept it in a cool, shaded location with the cap on. A waste of $20.
You know, they do make smaller size bottles, and they cost a lot less. Just sayin'...
Old 07-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #71
mariogolbee

Quote:
Just pointing out that the way you wrote that, it implied that the warranty was the only difference.

We both know that's not true, hence the
Ahh... Gotcha. I'd like to clarify. I think that Palios are wonderful little cutters. They cut great and are quite beautiful. I've even given away a third Palio to another BOTL. My two are having issues, but this is not the norm. However, had it not been for the fabulous warranty, I would not have purchased one at or near retail price.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #72
mariogolbee

Quote:
You know, they do make smaller size bottles, and they cost a lot less. Just sayin'...
Yep, they have the little 2oz ones or whatever. I went for value. It dried up on me. I just did a quick net search and found the 2oz for $5 and $8. So, if I get some I can do a repair for $5 and have a tube that will probably harden faster due to less surface area. Thanks though. I'll likely end up getting some at some point anyway.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #73
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
However, had it not been for the fabulous warranty, I would not have purchased one at or near retail price.
Each their own. Years ago, I paid a lot more for my Zino cutter than what a palio goes for today, and I didn't even know it had a lifetime warranty. I just wanted a good, solid, sharp, precise cutter that, short of loss, I wouldn't have to replace.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:24 PM   #74
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
I just wanted a good, solid, sharp, precise cutter that, short of loss, I wouldn't have to replace.
QFT. Whether we buy a $2 cutter or a $100 cutter, we all want one that will do what it was designed to do efficiently and without problems. Sometimes problems happen even with the best product and that's where the peace of mind with the warranty comes in handy.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #75
mariogolbee

Quote:
Each their own. Years ago, I paid a lot more for my Zino cutter than what a palio goes for today, and I didn't even know it had a lifetime warranty. I just wanted a good, solid, sharp, precise cutter that, short of loss, I wouldn't have to replace.
And if I did the same in regards to these two Palios and they had no warranty I'd be out $100 because one comes apart and the other crushes my cigars. I am not in the position at this point in my life to throw caution to the wind and make a purchase like that which may or may not last. I dished out the cash a while back for one of the Xikar Mayan cutters and a Xikar Mayan lighter. I did it for the aesthetics, the quality, the cut, etc., but I wouldn't have bought them with no warranty.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #76
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
QFT. Whether we buy a $2 cutter or a $100 cutter, we all want one that will do what it was designed to do efficiently and without problems. Sometimes problems happen even with the best product and that's where the peace of mind with the warranty comes in handy.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #77
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
But I don't, and shouldn't be expected to go out and spend the extra cash to get some when I paid for that shiny warranty.
Xikar doesn't charge for their warranty.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #78
stevieray
Just slacking off

First Name: Steve
Trading: (42)
Bolivar
stevieray has disabled reputation

Gee whiz. What's all the hoopla about? All this talk about glue and laziness and whatnot. If the damn thing doesn't live up to your standards just go to any Palio retailer and swap it out. I can't think of anything else I own that has an iron clad warranty like the Palio. And for the record, I've owned my Palio since '06 and cut 3 cigars flawlessly today.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #79
BC-Axeman

My Palio still works perfectly, yet because I don't always grab it or have nearby I have opened more cigars with my fingernail or knife lately. I don't want to go upstairs to get the Palio. Unless it's a torpedo or figurado, that is. I don't even know what happened to my $2 cutter and I never use my punch any more.