Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough
Default Orange County, Florida:Bans Use of Tobacco Products

Effective January 1, 2010, the use of tobacco products (including: cigars, pipes, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, snuff, snus, and hookahs) on all county owned and leased land was outlawed through an order signed by Orange County's Mayor Richard T. Crotty as he and a coalition of anti-tobacco supporters work to make the entire county tobacco-free.

This OUTDOOR ban comes on the heels of Florida's statewide existing indoor smoking ban which is already in affect.

Several major cities, including Orlando, reside in Orange County and the local economy heavily relies on tourism.

The ordinance now outlaws the use of any tobacco product in areas such as outdoors at the Orange County Convention Center, County parks, fishing docks, boat ramps, outdoor trails, county owned parking lots, streets and sidewalks.

Additionally, in order to maintain employment, County employees are required to sign an affidavit which states that any employee who enjoys more than four cigars per year they will be fined $650 each year they violate the tobacco policy.

On March 19, 2010, Mayor Crotty's anti-tobacco campaign received a boost when he allocated $6.6 million in federal stimulus funds (supposed to be used to create jobs) to the Orange County Health Department to prevent tobacco usage.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation
Default Re: Orange County, Florida:Bans Use of Tobacco Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Additionally, in order to maintain employment, County employees are required to sign an affidavit which states that any employee who enjoys more than four cigars per year they will be fined $650 each year they violate the tobacco policy.
Wow!
So now there will be a bunch of liars in that county. How on Earth will they police that?
What the heck is next?
Amazing.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

We don't even have that in California...yet. Stop giving our idiot politicians ideas, FL!!
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
We don't even have that in California...yet. Stop giving our idiot politicians ideas, FL!!
Can we ship all of our "Q-Tips" over to you guys?
That should fix it for us.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

I say 'em.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

like anyone is really going to do anything about it...looks like Corona and other businesses that allow smoking inside or outside will be getting more business
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:

I am nto sure how they are going to enforce this, or exactly what that is? Are they saying that if you smoke mroe than 4 a year you have to pay a $650 fine? Or that if you smoke more than 4 a year on government land? Cause I know the roadside crews are going to be livid over this.

Here is a link to the statute: http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1103438...ibL5Rpp1dcF1s=

Last edited by wayner123; 05-26-2010 at 12:24 PM.
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Next time I'm at the Orange County Convention Center (we go every year on Jan. 3, 4, 5 for a convention) I'll step outside as I usally do for a cigar.

Yes sir I will. Screw them.

I do have a question however, how come this is dated 1/1/10 and posted today 5 months later? Not trying to be a wise ass....just wanting to know.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
On March 19, 2010, Mayor Crotty's anti-tobacco campaign received a boost when he allocated $6.6 million in federal stimulus funds (supposed to be used to create jobs) to the Orange County Health Department to prevent tobacco usage.
I would think that Mayor Crotty has "misappropriated" funds at this point and some local or state group would have a strong basis for filing a lawsuit and to also include impeachment regarding this politician...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
The wonderful city of Thousand Jokes ( Thousand Oaks, CA) has a city wide band on smoking. Good luck in enforcing that one folks (unless I've not heard of a recent repealing of that so stupid city law)...
Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

guess I will gonna have to smoke a lot on county owned parking lots when I am in Orlando, just to prove that Europeans don't listen very well
Old 05-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
guess I will gonna have to smoke a lot on county owned parking lots when I am in Orlando, just to prove that Europeans don't listen very well
Yeah, why start now Ferdinand
Old 05-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Next time I'm at the Orange County Convention Center (we go every year on Jan. 3, 4, 5 for a convention) I'll step outside as I usally do for a cigar.

I do have a question however, how come this is dated 1/1/10 and posted today 5 months later? Not trying to be a wise ass....just wanting to know.
As to posting date I just received an email from Corona with the information but I think that the added section that I highlighted may be a new addition to the January 1 law but I am not positive about that. No problem on the wise-a$$ thought i had the same question when I received it but figured I would pass it along as others probably knew nothing of it either.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Where is the ACLU when you need them??

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Where is the ACLU when you need them??
HA! I was thinking the same thing Moe when I read this. They are about as useless on 2nd Amendment issues too...
Old 05-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post

Let me know Scott and I'll join you...I'm about 15 minutes from the Convention Center and as for the law...it's already in place, just there is no enforcement of it... the portion that is updated is the "On March 19, 2010, Mayor Crotty's anti-tobacco campaign received a boost when he allocated $6.6 million in federal stimulus funds (supposed to be used to create jobs) to the Orange County Health Department to prevent tobacco usage."
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

This stinks. Glad I live in Polk county. Although, at work, I am sometimes stuck on parking lot cleanup detail. Guess what is the #1 most common piece of trash I find?

Not bottles, candy wrappers, chewing gum, or paper ...

It's cigarette butts.

I have come to despise cigarette smokers. They ruining it for the rest of us. While cigar smokers tend to be classy folks who enjoy a stogie in the fine outdoors, out on the golf course, or a finely appointed cigar bar, cigarette smokers have turned the world into their own giant ashtray, and it is partly for this reason that tobacco is now the demon du jour for politicians to pick on.

If they really wanted to do something to improve the health of county employees, they should stock the vending machines with only low fat, low calorie, "natural" snacks, like fruit.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #17
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor CS View Post

If they really wanted to do something to improve the health of county employees, they should stock the vending machines with only low fat, low calorie, "natural" snacks, like fruit.
Dont give them any more ideas Christian, whose side are you on here?!?!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #18
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

That is about one worthless law. Next time I am in Orlando I guarantee I will break it just to break it.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #19
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Ya know, what really gets me, is how any of these anti-smoking bans can be legal when tobacco is a legal product in the US...if tobacco were illegal that would be one thing, however, it's not...how can anyone ban the use of a legal product, and wouldn't that make that law unconstitutional?
Old 05-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #20
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

Quote:
As to posting date I just received an email from Corona with the information but I think that the added section that I highlighted may be a new addition to the January 1 law but I am not positive about that. No problem on the wise-a$$ thought i had the same question when I received it but figured I would pass it along as others probably knew nothing of it either.
I don't know about any of you the watch the "local" news....I don't recall seeing this on the local news channels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
That is about one worthless law. Next time I am in Orlando I guarantee I will break it just to break it.
I have already broken this law but didn't know I was breaking any laws