Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road
Default Lighter Logistics - Flying to Vegas

So next week I'm heading out to Vegas with my wife and a handful of other couples to celebrate my wife's 30th birthday. We'll be there from Thursday evening until Sunday night when we catch a red-eye back to Atlanta. We're staying at the HGVC Flamingo while some of the other couples are at the Flamingo, MGM Grand, and Encore. We'll have a limo transfer to/from the airport for 6 of us, one couple is renting a car and driving on to Scottsdale, AZ after we leave and another couple is driving up from LA.

I've recently converted one of her friends' husband who is also a good friend of mine into a smoking buddy. At least one of the other husbands is a cigar smoker, and I'm pretty sure the other two guys coming will join in on the fun (5 guys total including myself).

While the girls are laying at the pool 4 of the guys will be playing a round of golf at the Paiute Wolf course. While the ladies are seeing Chippendales we will be playing night-golf at the Callaway Golf Learning Center (lighted Par 3 pitch-and-putt). While the ladies are shopping at The Forum Shops, the guys will be camped out at Casa Fuente.

All told, I'm expecting to personally smoke 12-18 cigars over the 4 days, and probably hand out 10-15 to mooches (got a freebie bundle of Augusto Reyes Navegadors from Famous for just that reason). I'll be toting 30 sticks in a couple of 15-stick Cigar Caddies along with a couple of 4-stick Black Ops cases to take to the golf courses and around town.

My big question is related to lighter logistics... how do I light that many cigars without being able to travel with a torch lighter and/or butane can?

I ordered a couple of the big-tank DealExtreme 1320 torches . I figured I'd try putting them in my checked luggage and, if they were confiscated, it's no big loss. I ordered on 6/23 and everything shipped on 6/28. I'm still hoping they arrive before we leave on 7/11. If they don't, I'd like to work out a contingency plan.

Otherwise I have a couple of junk ST Dupont clones that each light 10+ sticks each, but I have a feeling they're not going to do the trick outside on a golf course. Is my best bet to just to pick up a couple of JetLites and a can of crappy Ronson fuel at Walgreens once we get to Vegas, and then sacrifice them to the TSA when we fly out if necessary?

If I do make it there somehow with a decent butane torch, are there any cigar shops on the strip that will refill lighters for you (as most around Atlanta do for free)? Or can you recommend a shop near the strip that would sell decent fuel at a reasonable price (I cringe when I see Vector or Xikar selling for $10+ a can).

Thanks in advance!
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote