Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 10-26-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Ron1YY

Default That time of year again, Recipe testing!!!

It's around the time of year that I test out my holiday recipes. This week, I'm tweaking out my Sausage and Sage Stuffing, Honing the Green Bean Casserole, and trying a new injectable maranaide(Testing it with a chicken)

Tell me how you get ready for your holiday cooking!!!!!

Ron
Old 10-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation
Default Re: That time of year again, Recipe testing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1YY View Post
It's around the time of year that I test out my holiday recipes. This week, I'm tweaking out my Sausage and Sage Stuffing, Honing the Green Bean Casserole, and trying a new injectable maranaide(Testing it with a chicken)

Tell me how you get ready for your holiday cooking!!!!!

Ron
Well Ron I never cook from a recipe (ask SailKat) but I do love getting the soups and breads rolling but my favorite is the crook pot nothing like having that smell in the house when you walk back in from outside and it's been simmering all day
Old 10-26-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Demented

Hey Ron,

I write and test recipes year round, some work fine from the start, others need tweaking, and there are those that have to go away.

For the holidays, I cook something I've never made before. This year it's going to be roast capon, for Thanksgiving or New Years Eve, not sure which yet.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Aladdin Sane

AAhhh... I LOVE green bean casserole! I usually like like mine a little bit wetter and add another .5 can of soup. and some extra pepper and fried onions

YUMMY!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
Ron1YY

Well, everything turned out killer!!!!! The maranade was good, But I think I'm going to scrap it and try a different one next week. I made a lemon herb maranade and it was pretty good, I think it over powered the flavor of the chicken though.

Ron
Old 10-26-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Love to cook and try new things. My favorite time of the year is now and making chili. Always trying something new or tweaking it.
Jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

I'm still trying to get my timing down, I'll work on tuning the recipes after I manage to pull off a perfectly cooked turkey done on time twice in a row...
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
I'm still trying to get my timing down, I'll work on tuning the recipes after I manage to pull off a perfectly cooked turkey done on time twice in a row...
Estimating the amount of time the bird needs to be in the oven at a given temperature is a good starting point. Cooking at the right temperature, in the proper manner gets us closer.

A probe thermometer is the best tool to insure the bird is cook completely through, and is not over cooked.

I like this one.

Stuffing the bird with bread of some sort can result in a dry bird because it will have to be cooked longer, and the stuffing absorbs moisture.

Cooking in a hot oven (350° F or hotter) can also dry the bird out.

Roasting (dry heat) is traditional but not always the best choice for very large, older birds, braising (moist heat) often works better.

A combination of the two methods works best for me.

I'll cook the turkey for half to three quarters of the estimated time keeping track of the birds temperature, in a covered pan with water, stock, juice or wine in the bottom of just up to but not over the roasting rack, this keeps the turkey moist rather then drying it out.

Removing the lid from the pan 60 – 90 minutes before it's done will allow the bird to brown.

Your oven, the temperature and humidity where your cooking can all play hell with the best plans.

If crispy skin isn't your goal, you can start off with dry heat until the bird is browned to your liking, then add liquid to the pan cover it and allow it to finish with moist heat. The liquid should be at least 100° F before adding it to the pan.

The info on this page should be of help.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #9
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

I have been frying turkeys for years, and they almost always turn out perfect...last year the outside looked a little too browned but it was perfect inside...maybe too much rub. But I am looking for a good cajun or creole injection maranaide.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post
Estimating the amount of time the bird needs to be in the oven at a given temperature is a good starting point. Cooking at the right temperature, in the proper manner gets us closer.
That's where I end up with problems. My first TG turkey was a mess, the second was good, but took longer to cook than I thought. Last year's was pretty close, might have finished a little earlier than I planned.

I don't stuff my birds, and I do keep a mixture of wine and other deliciousness in the bottom of the roasting pan, so dryness has never been a problem. After that first year I figured out how to PROPERLY use a probe thermometer, so now they get cooked all the way (I do like the digital display, I've gotta get one of those).

What I can't figure out is where you've found a roasting pan big enough to hold a turkey with the lid on? The sides on my pan are only ~5" tall, the turkey is an awful lot bigger than that. A simple tin foil tent has done the trick for me.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:19 AM   #11
Demented

Quote:
might have finished a little earlier than I planned.
Closest I've come to the bird being done when it was estimated to is about 40 minutes. Out of the oven the bird needs to rest 15 to 30 minutes for the flesh to relax and the juices to redistribute before carving.

Quote:
What I can't figure out is where you've found a roasting pan big enough to hold a turkey with the lid on?
Restaurant Supply
Old 10-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
Langod
NH Masshole

First Name: Jim
Trading: (3)
Punch
Langod is on a distinguished road

I just did a test run a week ago. Made a 12 lb turkey and tried a Porcini butter to coat/baste the turkey.
I brine my turkeys -- it always results in a very moist, flavorful turkey.
I never cook the stuffing in the bird for the reasons Demented outlined above.

Anyway, the Porcini butter, while flavorful before cooking didn't translate to a flavorful, porcini-infused crispy skin as I expected. It also gave a mottled appearance to the skin. Oh well, I'll do something else on turkey day. Perhaps a coffee-chili rub.