Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-20-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road
Default I have a question maybe you can help me with

Okay, here is the scenario...You have a set of two very nice HTF cigars set aside for you and a buddy to smoke. The occasion arises and he then comes over to smoke. He brings some cigars with him. You give him the cigar to smoke, and you have one also, like I said. He then pulls out one of his cigars and says, "I am going to save this for a special occasion." Keep in mind this was not a "special occasion" but still, I consider it pretty damn special to be smoking this specific cigar, so I guess yes, it actually was a special occasion. To be specific, he said he was going to wait 'till Christmas to smoke it. I was very heated about this, but I did not speak up and say anything. Well, anyways, my question to you is: What do you think of the situation, and what would you have done about it? TIA.........
-Tommy
Old 05-20-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
Superbad
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (53)
PL
Superbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura aboutSuperbad has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I have a question maybe you can help me with

I can understand your dismay. I know this is after the fact but I would have said I have been saving this for now, for the two of us to enjoy together. In the future, if you do hand him a non dog rocket ever again clip the head and then hand it over, it will show him you want to smoke the cigars now.
Superbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #3
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Man that is a tough one....

I would like to say that I would say nothing, smoke my cigar and enjoy the moment, hope that when he smokes the cigar I gave him, he enjoys the Hell out of it....

But if I want to smoke 2 HTF's with a friend....I would think that discussion of the smoke while we were doing it would be part of what I was looking for.... Who knows... Long story short, I would hope that I could just let it go and enjoy....

Consider it pretty cool that you provided him with a Christmas Smoke....
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Next time I'd say make it clear you wanted to share the cigars now.
It will save you some aggravation.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

It happens. When you have your mind set on smoking a certain cigar and someone throws you a curve ball you tend to stick with what you had in mind from the get go. I agree with the above on clipping the head and then handing it over. This would suggest smoking it now vs. just smoke it when you want to. FWIW- I would have taken the hint and smoked it with you then.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

I have been on both sides of the fence. If you give him a cigar, its really no longer yours to decide when he should light it.

If you gave it to him strictly to smoke right there and then, let him know that fact when you hand it to him.

Sometimes when I have a bunch of guys come over on the patio there have been times I been handed 12+ cigars. Its kind of hard to smoke all or even most of them so you understand when I say I been on both sides of the fence.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

A little polite assertiveness goes a long way. If you bring a cigar for someone to smoke, you should let them know when you hand it to them: "I brought this for you to smoke with me tonight so we can compare notes" or something of the sort.

Having said that, be prepared for your buddy to have other priorities; don't get aggravated over the situation as you just ruin your own good-time.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Next time I'd say make it clear you wanted to share the cigars now.
It will save you some aggravation.

If he's your buddy then there should be no reason to tip toe around his feelings or yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
Sometimes when I have a bunch of guys come over on the patio there have been times I been handed 12+ cigars. Its kind of hard to smoke all or even most of them so you understand when I say I been on both sides of the fence.
I swear I tried Kelly, you didn't want me to turn green!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
A little polite assertiveness goes a long way. If you bring a cigar for someone to smoke, you should let them know when you hand it to them: "I brought this for you to smoke with me tonight so we can compare notes" or something of the sort.

Having said that, be prepared for your buddy to have other priorities; don't get aggravated over the situation as you just ruin your own good-time.
Bingo!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
I have been on both sides of the fence. If you give him a cigar, its really no longer yours to decide when he should light it.

If you gave it to him strictly to smoke right there and then, let him know that fact when you hand it to him.

I have to agree. Sounds like a minor communication issue. I just had this conversation with another person on a different topic. A little more clarity on your expectations might have kept you from being upset. Then again, other like me don't do subtle. I can't even spell it. Someone wants a specific smoke with me they better say, "hey, I brought these to burn tonight, lit it up " Especially if I shoqwed up with a particular stick for myself to burn.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

When you hand a friend a cigar, it is now theirs. They can do with it whatever they like.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I would've told him the purpose of those two HTFs. My friend and I actually talked about having a HTF smoke together for a special occasion, before we bought the smokes. Each of us has an identical Opus X from last year, we're saving for another couple of years. Even if I had been the one buying them, and storing them, I probably would've told him I had two cigars that I wanted to smoke together on a special occasion. Then we'd plan when the special occasion was. Like others have said, slight miscommunication. I wouldn't, however take the cigar back or anything if there was a miscommunication. Not much you can do once it's in his possesion.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #13
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Kelly and Tom are dead on. You gave him the cigar. Ask him at New Years how it was.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

I think that at the time you could've just suggested "Oh, well I was hoping to smoke it with you tonight so that we could compare thoughts on it", you know, nothing that was overly pushy, just telling him what you meant to do with those cigars.

Now that it's after the fact...like others have said, not really any point in getting frustrated about it now or saying anything to him. Just know that you gifted a cigar to a BOTL and that when he lights it up Christmas he will think of your generosity and enjoy that cigar even more than he would if he had bought it himself.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

I'm not very touchy feely so I would have said light it now or give it back!
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:36 PM   #16
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough

We all live and learn. Most all of us have been in that same situation. The good advice shared above is "experience talking". You'll do better next time! Good subject.

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #17
cjfeola

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc3084 View Post
Okay, here is the scenario...You have a set of two very nice HTF cigars set aside for you and a buddy to smoke. The occasion arises and he then comes over to smoke. He brings some cigars with him. You give him the cigar to smoke, and you have one also, like I said. He then pulls out one of his cigars and says, "I am going to save this for a special occasion." Keep in mind this was not a "special occasion" but still, I consider it pretty damn special to be smoking this specific cigar, so I guess yes, it actually was a special occasion. To be specific, he said he was going to wait 'till Christmas to smoke it. I was very heated about this, but I did not speak up and say anything. Well, anyways, my question to you is: What do you think of the situation, and what would you have done about it? TIA.........
-Tommy
If the guy is a buddy, give him the benefit of the doubt. I tend to prefer strong, heavy cigars, but every once in a while I have some bad sushi for lunch or something and I'm not up to it. Maybe he wasn't feeling up to anything but an old reliable-what do you think?

cjf
Old 05-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #18
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Absolutely nothing. I would have taken it as a compliment that he thought enough of my gift to warrant saving it for a "special occassion".
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 AM   #19
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

just preface the handing of the cigar with an 'ive been saving these to smoke together, lets light them up!' that should solve any communication issues

stearns
Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Good responses so far. Who smokes just one cigar? Have him smoke it as number 2 or 3. We have all been there when someone hands us a cigar we did not or wasn't prepared to smoke.