Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough
Default Do Cuban Cars Run any Better?

http://apnews.excite.com/article/201...D9EME4O80.html

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
SinPena!
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (9)
SinPena! is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do Cuban Cars Run any Better?

Oh no, first yellow corn shortage now tobacco?
SinPena! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Is it strange that I laughed when the article mentioned, near the end, that they grow high quality tobacco for cigarettes?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

I don't know if they run better or not but when you see pictures and videos from Cuba there are always cars from the 50's and 60's everywhere so they must last a lot longer!
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
I don't know if they run better or not but when you see pictures and videos from Cuba there are always cars from the 50's and 60's everywhere so they must last a lot longer!
They just can't afford to import new cars and must keep what they have running. If you check out the ruling class, they are running new cars.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
And some of them will have parts from Russian tanks, Chinese forklifts, etc, keeping them running.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
They just can't afford to import new cars and must keep what they have running. If you check out the ruling class, they are running new cars.
There's a "ruling class" in Cuba? NOOOOO!!!!!!?????? I thought it was the perfect society! Even their fearless former leader congratulated us on our health care "progress." It works so well there. Hey Carlos, is it time to send another package of aspirin, tylenol, and antibiotics over yet?
Paul, if we sneak in and act the part, I bet we could be Generales. Huh? whaddya think? Pleeeease?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I know I read about tobacco being one of the top five crude biofuels already. Maybe that was just someone thinking out loud?
Anyways, it's a very big shot in the arm for PA. I grew tobacco last summer, have seeds started now, and it grows huge and incredibly well here. No beetles and the aphids really have no effect on the plants, even if they are tenacious.
We have a new biofuel plant about 20 minutes away from here, I have no idea what they're using to make fuel. I ought to find out.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
And some of them will have parts from Russian tanks, Chinese forklifts, etc, keeping them running.

There's a "ruling class" in Cuba? NOOOOO!!!!!!?????? I thought it was the perfect society! Even their fearless former leader congratulated us on our health care "progress." It works so well there. Hey Carlos, is it time to send another package of aspirin, tylenol, and antibiotics over yet?
Paul, if we sneak in and act the part, I bet we could be Generales. Huh? whaddya think? Pleeeease?
No good, my Spanish sucks.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
No good, my Spanish sucks.
I'll translate.

No esta bueno, Mi espaNol es terrible.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

We gotta get some of those mechanics; they're geniuses! Anyone who can do this, deserves to come here.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Cyclone

My wife and I were walking down a quiet street in Havana on our honeymoon when we saw a very well kept '57 Ford.

We were admiring it when the owner started it up... It had a diesel tractor engine!!!

The owner (who spoke no English, Us no Spanish ) laughed his head off at our confused looks. He was quick to lift the hood and show us how it was installed, etc.

A friend of ours in Havana saved for about 3 years so he could buy his neighbor's 58 Pontiac... It's in pretty rough shape but his Canadian friends are always bringing him parts, tools, etc.