Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default La Sirena

Today's review is for another new cigar from Miami Cigar Company. The La Sirena was released in Chicago on November 19th, 2010, at a party hosted by our good friends at Casa de Monticristo. The entire crew from Miami Cigar Company attended the event, along with my partners from Cigar Explorer. Below is a press release from Miami Cigar Company about the cigar and the party.

MIAMI, FL – It’s believed that life on earth originated in the ocean, and now Miami Cigar & Co., makers of the highly-acclaimed Nestor Miranda Collection and Tatiana flavored cigar line, has brought life to a new full-bodied cigar selection inspired by a mythical sea creature. Blended and manufactured by Don Jose “Pepin” Garcia in Nicaragua, La Sirena cigars, Spanish for “mermaid,” will make their Earth debut in Chicago, IL on Friday, November 19 at Casa de Montecristo. The launch will be attended by newly appointed Brand Ambassador, Ms. Arielle Ditkowich. Ms. Ditkowich will also be traveling nationwide to help introduce and promote the La Sirena line.

“We are very happy to finally have that full-bodied cigar in our portfolio,” said Rene Casteneda, Miami Cigar Vice President of Sales. “We have never produced a full-bodied cigar of out the My Father Cigars factory until now, I am very excited to finally enter this market.”

To achieve La Sirena’s full-bodied flavor, Don Pepin has used Nicaraguan Criollo ’98 & Nicaraguan Corojo ’96 as filler, plus a dual Nicaraguan Habano & Nicaraguan Corojo binder, rolled in a lush Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro wrapper.

Since Cigar Explorer was at the event, they were able to pick up a box of these sticks and bring them back to Columbus for reviewing. Enough typing, let's get to smoking.

Specifics
Vitola: Corona
Length: 5 1/2
Ring Gauge: 42
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $8
Smoking Location: Explorer Lounge
Beverage: water
Manufacture's Website: http://www.miamicigarandcompany.com/

Pre-Light
I have to point out right away what everyone says when they first see this cigar. Yes the band is really that big. On a corona sized stick, it is slightly overkill, but the glue holding the band together has not been heavily applied on any of the sticks I've smoked, so removing it is no issue. The wrapper on my La Sirena was dark brown and very rustic looking. There was a significant amount of tooth and some pretty large veins...all the things that most of us know and love about broadleaf.The pre-lit aroma was mostly barnyard smells, mixed in with just a hint of coffee. The triple cap clipped easily and the cold draw consisted of sweet tobbacco mixed with some leather notes.

First Third
Pepper bomb! After lighting my La Sirena the first 5 or 6 draws were an absolute classic Don Pepin blend pepper bomb. The flavors were extremely stong and tingled the top my tongue. The draw was free and the stick gave off a medium amount of smoke...pretty much the amount of smoke you would expect from a cigar of this size. About an inch into the stick, the finish flavors started to come forward and stand out from the pepper. I started tasting a lot of sweet raw honey on every exhale, which really worked well to balance out some of the spice. Slightly further into the first third, the front of the flavor profile started to change too and I could taste some hints of coffee.

Second Third
The second third of my La Sirena is was what I referred to my smoking partner as "where this cigar developed to greatness". This has to be where Pepin, or whoever else was on the taste testing crew for this cigar, realized they were on to something good. Similar to the first third, I was tasting a lot of peppery spice on the front (which I love), and sweetend honey on the finish, but now the black coffee flavors had also developed into a strong characterist of the cigar. Every draw on the cigar produced a complex flavor mixed on my palate that made me want to rush to the next puff. The smoke volume picked up a little which might have helped the flavors be just that much more intense. I want to point out here that, althought the flavors were extremely strong, the finish on the cigar was clean and did not leave my mouth feeling dirty or burnt. This is a hard thing to do with broadleaf and reminded me a lot of the finish on the NHC Reserva from New Havana Cigars. The body was in the medium range for me.

Final Third and Final Thoughts
The final third and things just kept on going perfectly. The flavor mix was almost the same as the second third, with pepper, coffee, and honey, but now every once in awhile I got a slight bitter chocolate taste. This flavor did not come through on every draw, but when it did it, added just another dimention to the flavor profile that was already well established. The cigar burned excellently from start to finish, never requiring any touch-ups. I smoked this stick to the nub and it never got hot or harsh. I know the press release for this cigar says it's a full body smoke. For me, it was more in the medium range; fuller than other sticks from Miami Cigar Company, but I never felt that nic kick that I get from real full body cigars.

My final thoughts on the La Sirena? If you took the time to read this review then you will not be surprised when I say that this new favorite is one of the best cigars I have smoked all year. It's Decemeber...save the best for last, maybe? While I am not yet ready to crown it king of 2010, it will certainly be in the royal court. The flavors were extremely strong, yet evenly balanced, keeping me wanting more the whole time. Yes, I am a sucker for broadleaf and for the Pepin peppery spice, but this stick not only had that, it also had some serious depth in the flavors that may have been missing from some of his other blends this year.

Would I buy it again? Being that this is one of the best cigars I have smoked all year, I see myself buying more of these time and time again. I currently do not have anymore, and I'm not sure if anyone local is selling them yet, but I will be on the hunt and I think you should be too.

Would I buy a box? I would buy a box of these without hesitation.

for more pictures please visit http://tinyurl.com/377oxjn

Dan
Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: La Sirena

nice review
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I need some of these!
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
bishjd123
Have a Smoke and a Smile

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (16)
bishjd123 is on a distinguished road

I was wondering about these. I think I may try one now. Had I not seen the review, I probably would have bypassed it thinking that it's some sort of gimic. Who uses a band that covers about 2/3rds of the cigar?
bishjd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
jan olanda
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
jan olanda is on a distinguished road

I was Lucky to be at the launch at El Clique and to buy a box of the biggest Vitola and I agree its one of the best cigars I ever smoked.

Where are they for sale? In the bigger internetshops i did not see them?
jan olanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
Bubba - NJ
Deep Cherry Finish

First Name: Rolf
Partagas
Bubba - NJ is on a distinguished road

I had one of these the other night and really enjoyed it . Only complaint was from my wife whom said It smelled like ass .
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Great review...though too strong for me as I don't like the pepper you open my eyes to a nice gift to those who like that profile. Thanks
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing Dan.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
amsgpwarrior
amsgpwarrior

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
amsgpwarrior is on a distinguished road

Been looking at these for awhile, nice to see someone say they liked it that much!
amsgpwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
andrewhies

To a large extent the amount of smoke you would expect from a cigar of this size. An inch in a stick and began the end of the flavors come forward and stand out from the pepper. Started tasting a lot of honey sweet crude on each exhale.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #11
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

Nice review! I have had quite a few and really enjoy these!
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Very nice review...
Old 06-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
Duke9192

Nice review.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Nice review. Some of my favorite smokes there
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #15
scottdurand
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
Trading: (0)
scottdurand is on a distinguished road

I picked up a few at Smoke Ring in Webster and have been letting them sit for a while. I need to fire one up soon!
scottdurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #16
lou2row

Great review. Not a fan of the pepper bombs, but the rest sounds intriguing.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #17
docdoty
Cigars & Guns...what else

First Name: Justin
Trading: (8)
RA AirForce
docdoty is on a distinguished road

thanks for the review. I've smoked a few of them and enjoyed each of them the only thing that I did not like is that the band seemed to be held on with too much glue and it ripped the wrapper on a couple of the cigars. The cigar its self was great though.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #18
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

Thanks for review just had one these gifted to me by issues and it was an awesome cigar, I really enjoyed it!
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote