Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
tzaddi

Default Vintage Vuelta Abajo

I was recently gifted a fine selection of cigars by Scott Shilala, many of you know of his reputation for generosity and ingenuity.

One of the cigars, the Flor Extra Fina passed through Scott's hands via Joe, lenguamor.

Scott writes,
Quote:
"I can only imagine a handful of people that might enjoy the opportunity to try something like this in a way that I'd hope they would. I think you'll have a lot of fun burning that old thing up, and I think you'll be able to see it from a unique perspective that truly does the experience justice.… If you' do one thing for me, please don't delay in smoking that old rocket. Carpe Diem, brother."
It just so happens that as the webmaster of the local cigar club website I had recently added a section called "Grindstone Vintage", featuring photos that I have scanned and restored. Several of these are photos of the Golden Eagle Cigar Store in Redding with John Bartosh, owner and one of the original Grindstone Cigar club founders standing proudly in his shop. John purchased the shop in 1907.

That's John on the left, he was a roller at the shop when he was a boy.

So when I received my weekly email notifying me that the Friday gathering of the Grindstone Cigar Club was "on" I responded with the following.

Quote:
Gentlemen,

I was recently gifted a group of cigars that included a Cuban sold between 1910-1917. For those of you that have viewed the Grindstone web page titled Vintage you might have noticed the old photos on the Golden Eagle Cigar Store in Redding with John Bartosh standing proudly in his shop. Although a quick scan of the counter does not reveal the Sunkist brand this gift when lit will create a smokey bridge to those early days of the Golden Eagle Cigar Store and John Bartosh.

If all is in order won't you please join me for a puff of this extreme vintage cigar during the early part of our next Grindstone Club gathering?

Sunkist Brand, private-labeled for Chapin Grocery in Springfield Mass. They are foil-wrapped and handmade with Cuban tobacco from the Vuelta Abajo region, where the finest tobacco in the world grows.
The following set of photos share that gathering of cigar lovers and the fulfillment of a 100 year old promise.

But first let me provide a small review of this cigar that had journeyed far and waited so long to go up in smoke.

The initial pre-light aroma was one of cardboard and dry basement. This mild beauty had that look you sometimes see in a much older person's eyes, that tells you that in their day…

Once we got past the first half inch of the cigar the flavor had strained hints of toasted bread. It was not until the last inch and a half did some real flavor make it to the party. Those last few draws had smoked mocha/coffee going on.

Let the following photos tell the rest of the story.

Last edited by tzaddi; 01-19-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
tzaddi

Default Re: Vintage Vuelta Abajo

Old 01-19-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
tzaddi

Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the pictures. BTW I love the skulls & roses shirt.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
tzaddi

So the remains will rest encapsulated as a memory of a promise made by a seed planted so many years ago and fulfilled by many, many hands.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
tzaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Thanks for the pictures. BTW I love the skulls & roses shirt.
My sister-in law made it for me, custom. I even got to pick out the buttons

I apologize for the excess of photos but IMHO such a cigar and all involved warrant it.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

The pictures are great. I love how perfect and neat the boxes are stacked in the B&W photo.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so happy the cigar was a hit.
I can't tell you how happy I was that your old picture work and website update coincided with the arrival of the cigar. That's infinately cool. Goes to show that nothing in God's world happens by accident.
The pictures of the wrapper really show how gorgeous it really is. The cigar itself was absolutely beautiful. I hadn't seen it (obviously) and I'd not imagined it would be even remotely that pretty.
Did the guys think it was cool?
I'm not surprised it wasn't much in the flavor department. I'm not a fan of aged smokes at all, but the old girls I've smoked have definately been a unique experience. Certainly worthwhile to at least try it out.
Thank You for smoking that thing, Richard. The pictures and the story have honestly made me as happy as a guy can get.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
tzaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I'm so happy the cigar was a hit.
I can't tell you how happy I was that your old picture work and website update coincided with the arrival of the cigar. That's infinately cool. Goes to show that nothing in God's world happens by accident.
The pictures of the wrapper really show how gorgeous it really is. The cigar itself was absolutely beautiful. I hadn't seen it (obviously) and I'd not imagined it would be even remotely that pretty.
Did the guys think it was cool?
I'm not surprised it wasn't much in the flavor department. I'm not a fan of aged smokes at all, but the old girls I've smoked have definately been a unique experience. Certainly worthwhile to at least try it out.
Thank You for smoking that thing, Richard. The pictures and the story have honestly made me as happy as a guy can get.
The guys all thought it was super cool, what with the club history. I was the hero for a day. Thanks Scott, the circle is complete.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Excellent photos and a great looking cigar!
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaddi View Post
The guys all thought it was super cool, what with the club history. I was the hero for a day. Thanks Scott, the circle is complete.
Even better than I hoped.
Thanks, buddy.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #12
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Great story Richard. The pics and background bring the entire experience up a notch. Thanks for sharing with us all.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #13
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Very nice photos and commentary!!!

That is awesomely fantastic!!!

Thanks Richard!!!

BTW - Was that Jason taking a puff in the photo?

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #14
tzaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Very nice photos and commentary!!!

That is awesomely fantastic!!!

Thanks Richard!!!

BTW - Was that Jason taking a puff in the photo?
The one and only Jason Dell. Now see if you can identify those blurry figures in the background.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

thx for sharing bro!
Old 01-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #16
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Wow!

You did the cigar justice much better than I could have hoped to, sharing it with friends like you did.

Great thread, great pics and I'm glad you enjoyed it. These are history now, all gone or in the collections of other brothers.

PS: I did see an empty box of these recently; it did not have the Chapin Grocery imprint, so apparently Sunkist did manufacture these for sale as stand-alone product.

BTW, that pic of the old cigar store blew me away. Can you imagine having just one of each of the boxes of cigars on display there?
Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #17
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Just fabulous, Richard. Thanks for the wonderful pics and great story.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
Scottw
Going Commando

Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Simply amazing review!! Thank you.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #19
tzaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
Wow!

You did the cigar justice much better than I could have hoped to, sharing it with friends like you did.

Great thread, great pics and I'm glad you enjoyed it. These are history now, all gone or in the collections of other brothers.

PS: I did see an empty box of these recently; it did not have the Chapin Grocery imprint, so apparently Sunkist did manufacture these for sale as stand-alone product.

BTW, that pic of the old cigar store blew me away. Can you imagine having just one of each of the boxes of cigars on display there?
Thanks to your generosity passed through Scott that cigar is now a part of history.

Here are a couple more from that collection.

Here is one of John Bartosh later in life as the store was winding down.
Quote:
In January 1959 John J. Bartosh locked the door of his Golden Eagle cigar, hung up a "closed" sign and ended 51 years in business at the same stand.
For seven years before he bought the store, Bartosh worked for its previous proprietor, John W. Potts, who opened the store in 1888

Old 01-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #20
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Makes me wish I could go back in time and smoke what they were smoking back then!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote