Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #21
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone buying silver?

Its a shame you didnt get in sooner......you missed the boat on some serious gains as far as paper is concerned. Keep your eye on the movement and maybe have a stop loss on your position just in case you forget about it and things turn on you.

If you bought silver coins or bars then disregard haha. I'd much rather physically hold silver than paper. Either way good luck with your investment.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #22
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
Its a shame you didnt get in sooner......you missed the boat on some serious gains as far as paper is concerned. Keep your eye on the movement and maybe have a stop loss on your position just in case you forget about it and things turn on you.

If you bought silver coins or bars then disregard haha. I'd much rather physically hold silver than paper. Either way good luck with your investment.
What is a stop loss?
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #23
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

A guy I work with buys all his silver from here:

http://www.apmex.com/
Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #24
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Personally, I would buy from here

I hear it's the best.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 AM   #25
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Personally, I would buy from here

I hear it's the best.
I heard that it is the best online place to buy. However, I find it hard to buy online when I paid $38/oz with no tax at one local shop and $40 tax included at another shop. Now, if the online shops had clearance sales and I could get it around that price after shipping, I would be all for it.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #26
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
What is a stop loss?
A stock tool. It will tell your broker/website to sell when the stock price dips below a set amount.

I.e. you own ATVI. The current price on it is around $16 per share. You might put a stop loss at $10. If the stock price hits $9.99 a share, the broker will trigger a sale of your stock.

Same idea holds true for a stop gain. If you set a stop gain at $20.00 and the price hits $20.01 then your broker will trigger a gain.

Note: these are also called limit loss and limit gains.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #27
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
A stock tool. It will tell your broker/website to sell when the stock price dips below a set amount.

I.e. you own ATVI. The current price on it is around $16 per share. You might put a stop loss at $10. If the stock price hits $9.99 a share, the broker will trigger a sale of your stock.

Same idea holds true for a stop gain. If you set a stop gain at $20.00 and the price hits $20.01 then your broker will trigger a gain.

Note: these are also called limit loss and limit gains.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh. I don't have stocks in gold/silver. I have physical silver.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #28
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

On a somewhat un-related note, I did purchase my first ounce of gold (South African Kruggerand) yesterday. I am glad I have a safe deposit box. Gold is very expensive.

What are your opinions on gold?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #29
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
On a somewhat un-related note, I did purchase my first ounce of gold (South African Kruggerand) yesterday. I am glad I have a safe deposit box. Gold is very expensive.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #30
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:

Buying gold right now is alright, but like silver it was better bought 2-3 years ago. I don't know how much higher it will go. When buying gold it depends on what you are buying it for. Are you planning to hold it till sometime in the future when you can sell it and make a profit? Or are you buying it in case of the dollar collapsing and going to use it for buying things?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #31
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

I buy/am buying silver.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #32
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
...Are you planning to hold it till sometime in the future when you can sell it and make a profit? Or are you buying it in case of the dollar collapsing and going to use it for buying things?...
I would like to sell it a long time down the road. Hopefully it will be a lot higher in the future.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #33
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:
I would like to sell it a long time down the road. Hopefully it will be a lot higher in the future.
Then buying ounces is probably the best bet. I would buy the gold which had the lowest price over spot. While selling gold bullion in the future might prove difficult, gold coins are the best bet.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #34
Rock Star
Mike Hawk for President

First Name: Freddy
Trading: (1)
Rock Star is on a distinguished road

well its more than doubled in a year. i would buy the stock just because you dont have to actually have it and then go sell it..and its imediate value. some dealers wont even buy or sell till it dips or rises. at least your getting your money at that time for what its worth. but all in all it should be a good investment but you have to invest a lot to really make the $.. If you would have bought a year ago for $15 and bought 20. You spent $300 and sold today at $38 you would have made $470 in a year. not much money but a good percentage. So if y ou have like $2K to drop..you could really do some damage..I look at the precious metals now as a bubble like anything else. I mean look at the housing market. it was hot t one time. I think it has to dip soon cuz its rising pretty fast. thats speculation and i could be wrong..im just looking at trends from other bubbles

Last edited by Rock Star; 06-09-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Rock Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #35
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Then buying ounces is probably the best bet. I would buy the gold which had the lowest price over spot. While selling gold bullion in the future might prove difficult, gold coins are the best bet.
This is what I bought: http://www.apmex.com/Product/62/1_oz...ndom_Year.aspx

Did I do ok on the price? Is it true that the Kruggerand is one of the best gold coins to collect. I heard the gold american eagle is good, but that is more $$$ over spot.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #36
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Quote:

Did I do ok on the price? Is it true that the Kruggerand is one of the best gold coins to collect. I heard the gold american eagle is good, but that is more $$$ over spot.
That's very reasonable for today's spot. And yes, Kruggerands are good for storing bullion.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #37
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by themoneycollector View Post
That's very reasonable for today's spot. And yes, Kruggerands are good for storing bullion.
Thanks. I like buying from local coin shops, but the guy on the phone said he wanted to charge me $70 over spot and tax (6.5% here). With APMEX, all I had to do was pay $40 over spot I believe and $25 shipping.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #38
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trinidad

Quote:

The best place I have found is to go to a coin show. Go around to each gold dealer and ask them about the different coins. Online buying is ok, but coin shows can pull up some good hits too. Just let them know you are not there for collecting, but simply to diversify your portfolio. You can come away with some good deals, and in the future you can also sell your gold at the shows.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #39
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

Quote:

KRands are good. You can buy them a bit cheaper, but bear in mind, when you go to sell them, you'll also end up selling them a little cheaper. While very popular when first released, they fell out of fashion years ago as people began to take a dim view of South Africa's apartheid practices, and have never fully recovered.

As long as you stick with the major bullion pieces, such as AGEs, maple leafs, pandas, KRands, etc. you'll do fine. I've been buying this stuff off and on for the last 40 years.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote