Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 01-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Darrell

Default Steel Cut Oats

I know we had a thread all about Steel Cut Oats back at CS, but I didn't see one here.

What is your favorite method for making them?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Darrell

Default Re: Steel Cut Oats

I use Alton Brown's recipe:

* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 cup steel cut oats
* 3 cups boiling water
* 1/2 cup whole milk
* 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions

In a large saucepot, melt the butter and add the oats. Stir for 2 minutes to toast. Add the boiling water and reduce heat to a simmer. Keep at a low simmer for 25 minutes, without stirring.

Combine the milk and half of the buttermilk with the oatmeal. Stir gently to combine and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Spoon into a serving bowl and top with remaining buttermilk, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

i can't do milk, so I cook them up in water with some salt and add (lots) of brown sugar and raisins.

Also, I tend to cook them up on a crock pot, and divide it up into "breakfast size" containers and reheat them for work in the morning.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
i can't do milk, so I cook them up in water with some salt and add (lots) of brown sugar and raisins.

Also, I tend to cook them up on a crock pot, and divide it up into "breakfast size" containers and reheat them for work in the morning.
That is an awesome idea. Would you mind providing your recipe for that big of a batch?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

I rarely remember to pick up buttermilk so I usually skip that. I also use only 3 cups of liquid and simmer for 12 - 15 minutes. Toasting is good - really makes a difference. The flavoring depends on my mood and what I have around. Usuallly some combination of molasses, cinnamon, mace or nutmeg, honey, brown sugar, nuts, dried fruit. But sometimes I just leave it plain. I also make up a big batch on Sunday and take in in to work all week. Costs pennies and it's better for me than anything else I might have for breakfast.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
mariogolbee

I've used buttermilk once, but only when my daughter and I made butter first. Then we put in butter anyway, so what's the point? Butter + buttermilk = cream. I don't think I've ever bought buttermilk from the store and I seldom have heavy cream around, so I usually use half and half, butter, brown sugar, and call it good. And good it is.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
That is an awesome idea. Would you mind providing your recipe for that big of a batch?
I will post it when I get home.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post

Isn't the crock pot a royal pain to clean afterward?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogolbee View Post
I was thinking the same. However, couldn't you just put some water and soap in the crock pot afterward and turn it back on for a few hours? That might help break up the mess caked on it?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Not if you quit being like me and break down and go buy one that isn't 30+ years old. They've been making them with the crock that can be removed for cleaning for the last 20 or so years. You just take the crock out, fill it with water and leave it in the sink while you are at work or overnight and all the crap comes off. If you have an old one like I do, you are fighting with trying to keep the controls and coil from getting wet.

I forget what company it is, but there are disposable crock pot liners out now too. I've never tried them though.

Last edited by T.G; 01-17-2011 at 12:05 PM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Not if you quit being like me and break down and go buy one that isn't 30+ years old. They've been making them with the crock that can be removed for cleaning for the last 20 or so years. You just take the crock out, fill it with water and leave it in the sink while you are at work or overnight and all the crap comes off. If you have an old one like I do, you are fighting with trying to keep the controls and coil from getting wet.

I forget what company it is, but there are disposable crock pot liners out now too. I've never tried them though.
Got a newer removable crock thingy over here, Adam. I do like your story. It's still a pain to get some stuff cleaned from the surface of the pot itself. I know oatmeal, steel cut or otherwise, usually ends up having at least some of it stuck painfully when cooked in a regular pot.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Got a newer removable crock thingy over here, Adam. I do like your story. It's still a pain to get some stuff cleaned from the surface of the pot itself. I know oatmeal, steel cut or otherwise, usually ends up having at least some of it stuck painfully when cooked in a regular pot.
Right, but keep in mind that the heat is typically higher and more concentrated in a saucepan or pot than with a crock. All I've ever needed to do is just soak overnight in cold water and it would release from the porcelain. And there are always those liners.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

no matter what goes in mine I give it a quick spray of PAM....cleans up in a snap!...

Here's oatmeal in crock....

2 cups steel cut oats (not instant or rolled oats)
6-8 cups water, depending on how long the oatmeal will cook (can sub some lowfat milk in for some water)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 apples, peeled and diced
1 cup raisins
1 cup sliced bananas
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Spray crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. If you're planning to cook the oatmeal 8 hours or longer, use 8 cups of water. If you want to cook it less than 8 hours, use 6 cups of water. Put first seven ingredients (through raisins) in slow cooker and cook on low. Just before serving, Stir in bananas and walnuts. Sprinkle with additional brown sugar if desired.

You can break these down into 8 individual servings and freeze. Take a serving out the night before and heat in microwave in the morning.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #14
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They sell plastic liners for crockpots that seem to work fine. I've never had any adverse effects and you just pick it out and throw it away when done.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
ghostrider
Ridin the storm

First Name: Drew
Trading: (4)
Bolivar CoastGuard (Active)
ghostrider is on a distinguished road

I use 2 cups apple juice, 2 cups water and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. I add some "craisins" with about 5 minutes left. I'll make this batch up Sunday night, and it makes about 4 servings for me to take to work throughout the week.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
Domer
Just living the dream

First Name: Derek
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Domer is on a distinguished road

I just bought a pound of these at Wegmans this weekend on a whim. Glad you started this thread, it gives me some good ideas since I've never had them. I especially like that I can cook them on Sunday and have them all week. Thanks.
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #17
SUOrangeGuy
Escaped using raincoats

Trading: (24)
Montecristo
SUOrangeGuy is on a distinguished road

I make them 3 cups water, one cup milk. Stir in maple syrup and a handful of walnuts... The best breakfast ever.

The bestest breakfast ever when served with bacon.
SUOrangeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #18
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

I forgot about this thread and never posted my recipe. I remembered when I started making some today:

1 cup oats
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups cold water

Combine all ingredients in crock pot and stir. Set the crock pot on low. Cook 8-10 hours or until the oats are done to your desired consistency.

To avoid sticking, stir the oats occasionally -- more frequently as it gets closer to being done.

My crockpot has a removable stoneware crock and if there is any sticking it is easily cleaned with a little soaking. If I remember to stir the mix then there is no sticking.

When done I fill up 1.5 cup rubbermaid containers. Often I just reheat with nothing added. Sometimes I add brown sugar and/or raisins. Sometimes I throw some cooked sausage in with the cooked oatmeal before I refrigerate the container -- makes a nice breakfast that is easily microwaved.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #19
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I know we had a thread all about Steel Cut Oats back at CS, but I didn't see one here.

What is your favorite method for making them?
So I'm completely lost on what Steel Cut Oats are anyone want to enlighten the blind? By the way I love Oatmeal and make it at least 2 times a week just never heard of Steel Cut Oats is that a specific brand?
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #20
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Regular oatmeal is flat pieces of oat that have been steamed and rolled flat ala Quaker Oats that you cook up. Steel cut (sometimes called Scottish or Irish) oats are typically cylindrical pieces of oat -- the whole oat or groat, with the husk removed cut into two or three pieces -- that take more time to cook, are more flavorful, and have more texture.

Both are very good.