Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 03-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #81
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Very few characters I care to see a second time...first exception that comes to mind is Wiig's "WalMart Lady". Usually Weekend Update and Samberg's digital shorts are the only things worth watching anymore.
Target Lady, but I agree. Kenan's Grady Wilson with the marital aid tapes is pretty funny, and I'm drawing a blank on the name of the character, but the sketch where he slides back and forth on a conveyor giving tips on dating scenarios is pretty good too.
I'm definitely not a fan of Timberlake's music, but he's done some hilarious stuff on SNL. The two shorts were hilarious, and the Target Lady sketch he did with kristen Wiig was probably one of the funniest ones yet.
And don't forget: Shy Ronnie
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #82
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fred Armisen Must Die!

Worts Armisen trait is his lack of skills in taking it to the end. he takes his unfunny comic characters fifty miles past too far, but he can't keep his Obama speech mannerisms going for more than three lines. WTF? He did Obama through to the end ONCE, the very first time he did it. Most times now he throws one speech mannerism in there and then does "himself" for 2.5 minutes. The thing he does in the Field Jacket with the topical newspaper humor on Update is DREADFUL. milk, milk, milk,

I also think Andy Samberg is unfunny, although in his idiom, he is a master, and that is the little film-songs. Outside that he is a disaster, too, but then again, that's all they ask of him, anyway. laser cats is good. But Keenan Thompson is so good he saves the lot of em. That new "What's up with That" is a classic. I love how Lindsey Buckingham has been on every show and not said one thing yet.
Still, Barry Gibb Talk show was the best thing they have done in that genre of sketch in twenty years.
I hope and pray for my man Justin Timberlake to host, just for that. But last time, they tried to work too much $hit into it and it was awful.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #83
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Tar
And don't forget: Shy Ronnie
Posted via Mobile Device
Was Shy Ronnie what they did with Rihanna the other night? Fing hilarious.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:26 PM   #84
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
A whole bunch of sh!t I agree with wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Was Shy Ronnie what they did with Rihanna the other night? Fing hilarious.
Yeah. The first time it was on I about pissed myself I was laughing so hard. "Oh no!"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #85
OLS
Suck It

Lest I shortchange the man, HE DOES do a great governor patterson.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #86
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Lest I shortchange the man, HE DOES do a great governor patterson.
The very first one (with Paterson wandering around the WU set) was semi-funny. After that, it's been classic Armisen: repeat ad nauseam (in this case, jabs at New Jersey).
The worst part is, Paterson is a comedy goldmine. Armisen should take some lessons from his predecessors on how to lampoon a politician: Tina Fey, Darrell Hammond, Dana Carvey, and going way back, Chevy Chase as Ford.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #87
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
After that, it's been classic Armisen: repeat ad nauseam (in this case, jabs at New Jersey).
Remember that I am down south, so it is funnier to me that he rides the N.J. pony too far. To me it only got tiresome the third time they ran the bit. But he looks just like the pol.
And wandering around the studio was great, especially the first time. But this changes nothing...Fred Armisen must die.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #88
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Armison is just an indicator of the downfall of SNL (again). While they do have some good people and writers, the show has definately declined lately...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #89
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Apparently NBC has preempted SNL tonight for a documentary on suckage, hosted by some Marky Mark wannabe.
I think from now on I'll watch Dr. Who on PBS and call it a night at midnight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #90
OLS
Suck It

Well Armisen torqued me off Sat nite with that show-ending sketch where he was the "teen-psychiatrist"
show producer. The premise was good, some of the banter was good, but in classic style, Fred rode the
pony to a lather and killed it.

I have to somewhat disagree with the death of SNL, if only for the presence of two superstars,
the McGruber dude Will Forte and Bill Hader, the guy that does Vincent Price so well. In fact, it
was this week's show that made me remember how versatile Bill Hader is. His impression of
James Carrville is hilarious and does not wear thin from start to finish. I used to think he was
no Darrell Hammond, but when you think about it, Hammond's characters can really 'run together' in
terms of their efficacy. Bill Hader's impressions are all unique and fully fleshed out. He does
a perfect Dateline reporter Keith Morrison. As I mentioned, he does a great Vincent Price, too.
Most people could care less and don't know Vincent Price. What I like about Bill Hader is he does
impressions AND writes funny material to go with the impression. It makes the impression work
alot longer. He is useful in recurring characters as well. Sorry to run on and on, and while two cast
members can't really save the whole show, these guys work really hard and do a great job.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #91
Kreth
Ronin smoker

The whole problem for me is that TPTB insist on featuring Armisen in nearly every sketch. There's definitely some good stuff: WU, digital shorts (Laser Cats w/ Sigourney Weaver went beyond cheesy to hilarious, Shy Ronnie, and the infamous Dick in a Box), most stuff with Kenan Thompson, ESPN Classic. It's just not worth sitting through 20 minutes of unfunny crap to see one sketch that's remotely amusing. Some of the hosts and music guests are baffling too. J-Lo was about as funny as an infected hemmorhoid, Ryan Phillipe ("Who?"). "Ting Tings? Learn to sing sing." "Kei$ha? Britney/Christina/Gaga/Shakira called. She wants her act back." I'll probably watch the ep with Betty White. Other than that, I don't know if it's worth the effort.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #92
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I'll start watching SNL again when they bring John Belushi back.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #93
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

SNL is still on? What network?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #94
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
SNL is still on? What network?
Oxygen.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #95
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Oxygen.
Of course it is on oxygen, er... that is part of life support, right?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #96
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Of course it is on oxygen, er... that is part of life support, right?
Sounds like a joke Fred might have written, Pete.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #97
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I get stuck watching SNL occasionally nowadays because Lisa likes it. I have yet to see anything exceptionally funny, but every now and again I get a snicker. I'm definately not turning it on of my own volition.
I agree that Keenan is the bright spot of the show, but I spent years of cringing while the kids watched him on Nick. Now I have a two second patience span for him. If he'd just stop hollering, I could probably handle him. That's the same thing that made me turn off the tv a hundred times over the years. I can remember telling the kids, "Turn that down or I'm setting the tv on fire." It was always Keenan when I checked. The hollering just annoys me to no end. It's like fingernails on the chalkboard, and I can tolerate a lot more of that than Keenan.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #98
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I'll start watching SNL again when they bring John Belushi back.
They can do that with computers nowadays. Be careful what you wish for.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #99
OLS
Suck It

Betty White is coming on??? Now THAT I would watch. I guess i watch cause I am one of those
drones who has HDTV but not cable. I just do not use TV as much of a noisebox in my life, so
having cable or sat. is wasted. Sure, there is a ton of stuff to watch, but when? I am in bed by
9pm nightly. SNL is my way of making Saturday last longer. I stay up late Friday and Saturday.
Mostly I am Fing around with my laptop and it is on in case they do something good.
As bad as it is, it is better than Mad TV, and I think Austin City Limits is also on opposite. I can
only take some much Indie rock from another singer-songwriter who is up and coming. So it's SNL.
So if you extrapolate, I never saw Keenan, cause I never had Nickelodeon.
But I can see your point. Kid TV is the worst TV.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #100
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Mad TV has been done for a while now. Wanda Sykes has the 11:00 slot on Fox. In one segment, she has a roundtable with 3 guests where they discuss a current news event. It's usually pretty funny.
Posted via Mobile Device