Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: What to do when you get a double ship?
Should I pretend I didn't get a second package? 3 3.85%
Should I call the retailer and tell them their error? 75 96.15%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #21
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Moral Dilemna...

Re: Icehog's response.

Gotta agree with the big man here.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #22
Darrell

Do the right thing, Brian.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #23
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
I faced something like this a year ago:

I sent all twenty boxes back ASAP!!!
I posted in that thread a year ago when I was a noob! I acted like a douchebag in that thread (just ask Vic). Morally, it is your obligation to contact the vendor. It's awful tempting not to, but at this point in my life I would do what is right and call them. They may just tell you to keep them anyway (or look out for you in some way, shape, or form) depending on what you ordered.

EDIT: That pic is classic, BTW!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #24
Cyanide

1) Contact the vendor

2) convince the vendor that the best place for these cigars to is to "the troops"

3) find someone on the board that can fix you up with a "troop support network" and get those things to Iraq/Afghanistan

4) Include some recognition to the vendor in the package, so that maybe some new business is generated for the vendor (maybe the vendor can help you with this)

That's my answer to it.

Cy
Old 08-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #25
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
I posted in that thread a year ago when I was a noob! I acted like a douchebag in that thread (just ask Vic). Morally, it is your obligation to contact the vendor. It's awful tempting not to, but at this point in my life I would do what is right and call them. They may just tell you to keep them anyway (or look out for you in some way, shape, or form) depending on what you ordered.

EDIT: That pic is classic, BTW!

We have all come a long way since a year ago!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #26
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
We have all come a long way since a year ago!!!
I'd like to think that I have matured since then (just a little bit) since then. I was a noob and thought someone was talking junk to me, when in fact they were in the right and giving sound advice.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #27
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

You made the right choice by calling
Old 08-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #28
BarneyBandMan
Owner - Club Deck

Trading: (1)
Partagas
BarneyBandMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Why is this a moral dilemma? Either you are ethical or you aren't.

IMO, you should be on the phone with the vendor explaining what happened and letting them decide what to do. They may decide that it isn't worth having it returned and merely thank you for the effort; ask you to return it at your cost; send you a shipping label; or something else.

At the end of the day, it IS NOT your package. Steal or don't, your call.
geesh--wow--gotta agree with Mark (and Tom)--and maybe not post a WTS or WTT for a while until your "morals" preclude this kind of thinking--just not sure its the CA way..my
Old 08-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #29
Anthem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Bolivar
Anthem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindjimme View Post
What would you teach your kids to do?
I agree. I had a similar situation although the item in question was a 5 pack that I ordered and got the box instead. I contacted the vendor to see how he wanted to proceed, and asked if I was happy with the service. I told that I was happy and he said to keep the extra smokes.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #30
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Scares me that one person voted to keep them and say nothing.
No kidding.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #31
Scottastic
ROFLCOPTER

First Name: Scott
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Scottastic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyBandMan View Post
geesh--wow--gotta agree with Mark (and Tom)--and maybe not post a WTS or WTT for a while until your "morals" preclude this kind of thinking--just not sure its the CA way..my
Query: was that directed towards BFallehey? Because imo we all have had moral delemnas like this. Life is all about temptation. If this was about a BOTL sending him an extra box, I'm sure he wouldn't have had any question what to do (although with the way our brothers go, it would probably be intentional).

No matter who you are, there is a mental differentiation between a vender and a person. We all know (with a little reflection) that there is not one, but I digress. If I made a purchase at Wal-Mart, I would have to think for a minute if I wanted to take back the extra box of cookies that wound up in my bag, as opposed to the girl-scout who gave me one too many.

The important thing is that he reached out for advice. The way I see it, it's less of a "what is the right thing?" question and more of a "what am I supposed to do?" inquiry.

Professional window licker on the short bus.
Scottastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #32
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I once got a shipment from a vendor that was not my order - as well as my order too. I called their service department and they sent me a return sticker, along with a free bundle of decent smokes. Morals? Karma? Whatever - as in "whatever goes around comes around."
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #33
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
I think that's a little extreme, but I see your point. I would gladly buy or trade from the OP if the price and product were what I was wanting. A person and corporation are two different things, even if the moral obligation is the same.

Insert quote here.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #34
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

One time about 5 years ago, like 68TriShield, I too got a box of VR Unicos that I did not order. I called the vendor (who I used a lot back then). He said to keep them and thanked me for being honest enough to call him. On my next order from him he sent along with my order a very very nice thank you sampler of aged and vintage cigars. I never regret doing the right thing for the right reasons.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #35
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

I had a similar incident happen with me. I gave them a call and told them I did not place the order for another box, though they did charge me. The retailer apologized and told me to keep the cigars and refunded my money. Be kind to our hobby.
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #36
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottastic View Post
Query: was that directed towards BFallehey?
The important thing is that he reached out for advice. The way I see it, it's less of a "what is the right thing?" question and more of a "what am I supposed to do?" inquiry.

Guys, let me just say that Brian is as honest as they come. I agree w/ what Scott said earlier and I have to say that flagging him on WTS & WTB is way extreme. He has been involved in good trades, granted MAW/PIF's and has given loads of good smokes to the troops. Give the guy a break. Sometimes the fingers just act a little quicker than the brain. We have ALL had that problem at one time or another.

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:16 PM   #37
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottastic View Post
Query: was that directed towards BFallehey? Because imo we all have had moral delemnas like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
I think that's a little extreme, but I see your point. I would gladly buy or trade from the OP if the price and product were what I was wanting. A person and corporation are two different things, even if the moral obligation is the same.
I remember when I posted about my mix up back at CS. I purposely posted without mentioning that I got twenty boxes of Backwoods! I was having fun with the post... just as I believe Brian was with this Thread!!!

Each of you quoted above - I concider you as true BOTL! I have interacted with each of you, just as I have with Brian, the OP! He is a good brother!!!

And for your information if he hadn't acted ethically... the BABOTL would have kicked his butt... right after we cleaned out his Humidor of course!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #38
Martin
Sweetness

Trading: (2)
Martin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Why is this a moral dilemma? Either you are ethical or you aren't.

IMO, you should be on the phone with the vendor explaining what happened and letting them decide what to do. They may decide that it isn't worth having it returned and merely thank you for the effort; ask you to return it at your cost; send you a shipping label; or something else.

At the end of the day, it IS NOT your package. Steal or don't, your call.
Keep the package, sleep with your wifes sister n beat yur kids, it's a no brainer.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #39
csbrewfisher
Welcome to my nightmare

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (10)
LGC Navy (Served With Honor)
csbrewfisher will become famous soon enough

I agree with the majority here. Don't you do the same thing at the cash register if they give you too much change?

The measure of character is what you do when you don't have to.
csbrewfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #40
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Thank you for doing the right thing.

Life is filled with temptations and moral dilemma's.

How we handle them is what separates the good people from the a$$hats.