Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
rhmalone
Still Watching My Back

First Name: R. Harrison
Trading: (5)
rhmalone will become famous soon enough
Default Padron Ambassador

Padron Series Ambassador [lonsdale]

Wrapper: Nicaragua Maduro
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Size: 6 7/8 x 42

I’ve often avoided writing a Padron review, for the simple fact that every cigar within the Padron Series I’ve had the pleasure to smoke, I’ve found each about the same. Which is to say a quality, consistent, go to cigar. Today, however proved such a beautiful day, it seemed only fitting I carve out a bit of time to enjoy a cigar and what better choice than the Padron Ambassador?

My initial inspection resulted in a rather rugged looking cigar that while not something you’d take home to mom, was well constructed and set firmly in hand. The pre-light aroma was caramel sweet and rather inviting, and I quickly forgot about the rugged, dare I say unkempt appearance. Like with any other Padron I’ve smoked before the cap clipped easy and the draw was just right.

She lit up like a champ, producing billowing clouds of smoke that faded into the rich blue sky above. Immediately I was greeted by a wave of deep pepper, which wonderfully coated my entire pallet. The maduro wrapper helped to balance the pepper with a fine dusting of chocolate, mixing together to create the perfect blend of creamy snap pepper.

The marble grey/black ash was light and anything but firm, falling off a bit too easily about every half inch. The burn however was dead on even, despite the best efforts of the breeze; which did it’s best to remind me of its presence.

As I approached the two thirds point of the cigar, the flavor had decidedly mellowed, settling into a gentle, yet rich pattern distinct of cigars baring the Padron band. Every now and again, I would catch the faintest kick up of caramel; which helped pull me along what had now become a lazy afternoon smoke.

Entering into the final third of the cigar, I began to notice the flavor was mostly that of the maduro wrapper. There was a definite richness and fullness to this final third which made for a fine finish. While I can’t say for certain, I may have noticed a touch of toast as the cigar came to a rather pleasant finish, about seventy minutes later.

As far as flavor is concerned, the Ambassador didn’t prove overly complex, nor did it dissatisfy–it is a Padron after all. My guess is the maduro gave this cigar a bit more excitement than you might find with the natural. Medium in strength, it was, as I mentioned a good afternoon cigar.

Appearance: 2 (3)
Construction 3 (3)
Taste 2.5 (4)

Total score 7.5 (10)
Old 06-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation
Default Re: Padron Ambassador

The maduros are my preferred Padron wrapper as well.Thanks for the review!
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
The maduros are my preferred Padron wrapper as well.Thanks for the review!
+1 - I really enjoy the 64 and 26 (Bellis), the Ambassador has been hit or miss with me. Some good and some not. I dont think its a production issue - any ideas?
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Love me some Padron maduros.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
rhmalone
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Mexico View Post
+1 - I really enjoy the 64 and 26 (Bellis), the Ambassador has been hit or miss with me. Some good and some not. I dont think its a production issue - any ideas?
What do you mean by "hit or miss?" Is it an issue with your Rh?
Old 06-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
GHC_Hambone

I like Padron maduros so I will have to try this one, lonsdales are one of my favorite shapes.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:43 AM   #7
rhmalone
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHC_Hambone View Post
I like Padron maduros so I will have to try this one, lonsdales are one of my favorite shapes.
I typically don't do lonsdales, preferring a toro, but the change of pace was rather nice.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Love me some Padron maduros.
I'm Not Surprised! My Favorite Padron, Too! Grat Review & Pics!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I love this smoke, or any Padron for that matter!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote