Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #61
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone Own A Kindle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak_rat View Post
Peter, do they come with a magnifying glass?? Old eyes you know.....

God, I sure hope so.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #62
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

If you haven't bought a Kindle yet, take a look at the Nook which was announced by Barnes and Noble yesterday.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/

aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #63
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aich75013 View Post
If you haven't bought a Kindle yet, take a look at the Nook which was announced by Barnes and Noble yesterday.

Guess what I spent my lunch hour at work reading about today? Given Amazon's actions with deleting books from customer's Kindles, it is likely I won't be buying one. Much more likely I will be buying a Nook.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #64
Resipsa

Quote:

Very Interesting. There's going to be a lot of ereaders hitting the shelves this holiday season.

It's unclear, or I didn't see either way, if the Nook is tied to B&N the same way that the Kindle is tied to Amazon. If so, that's a deal killer for me. The move is away from that and towards allowing content from various providers, in various formats. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #65
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

I have a kindle. You can adjut the size of the letters for those of us that need extra help.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #66
aich75013
Feeling at Home

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Very Interesting. There's going to be a lot of ereaders hitting the shelves this holiday season.

It's unclear, or I didn't see either way, if the Nook is tied to B&N the same way that the Kindle is tied to Amazon. If so, that's a deal killer for me. The move is away from that and towards allowing content from various providers, in various formats. Just something to keep in mind.
I wouldn't be surprised. I did see that you are supposed to be able to download some of the free books from google.
Another feature is that you can lend books to friends for a while. I think two weeks.

"3. More Books: B&N offers more titles than Amazon, plus the Nook can access 500,000 public domain titles from Google that are not available to Kindle users. The Nook will load and read Adobe Acrobat PDF documents, which the Kindle does not do."

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by aich75013; 10-21-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #67
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

I am looking at the Kindle for my wife for Christmas and maybe the Nook for myself since I have a lot of PDF ebooks already. Both are priced the same right now, but the holiday competition is heating up.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #68
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about

Another thing to consider with the Kindle, is that there is also a (free) iPhone app for catching up on a few pages when you don't have your kindle with you. The cool part is the "whispersync" technology that keeps the current page in sync between the iphone app and the Kindle itself.

Though I wouldn't want to read an entire book on the iPhone, this capability is very handy.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #69
aich75013
Feeling at Home

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
Though I wouldn't want to read an entire book on the iPhone, this capability is very handy.
I currently do a lot of reading on my iPhone.
I used to read on my Palm Pilot, so the screen is actually a bit larger.
You get used to it. I normally read during my lunch, so it is quite handy.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:57 AM   #70
Veritas
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Gregory
Trading: (1)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Veritas is on a distinguished road

I absolutely love my Kindle. The only negative thing I have to say about it is that it isn't possible to share purchased books.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:57 AM   #71
Resipsa

Quote:
I currently do a lot of reading on my iPhone.
I used to read on my Palm Pilot, so the screen is actually a bit larger.
You get used to it. I normally read during my lunch, so it is quite handy.
Me too. I actually held the iPhone up to a paperback for comparison. With the margins on the book, etc, the amount of readin real estate between the two was almost e xactly the same
Old 10-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #72
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
Another thing to consider with the Kindle, is that there is also a (free) iPhone app for catching up on a few pages when you don't have your kindle with you. The cool part is the "whispersync" technology that keeps the current page in sync between the iphone app and the Kindle itself.

Ken, b&n has an iPhone app as well which I'm sure will work in similar fashion with their Nook. My concern with the kindle, other than it's fugliness, and lukewarm reviews, is the proprietary scheme Amazon has for it.

The new readers coming out are going to be a lot
more versatile. As is usually the case in tech, first doesn't always mean best, and frequently winds up meaning worst
Old 10-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #73
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
The new readers coming out are going to be a lot
more versatile. As is usually the case in tech, first doesn't always mean best, and frequently winds up meaning worst
Absolutely correct.
I have been waiting for Kindle alternatives since it originally came out. The primary reason I have not bought one yet is that their over the air service is through Sprint and I just don't get Sprint coverage where I live. I plan on taking a good hard look at B&N's Nook as I believe its' service is through AT&T, but am also intrigued by Que from Plastiic Logic. It features an 81/2 X 11 screen and though the first offering will be black & white, they claim a full color e-ink display is "just around the corner". Unfortunately it is not coming out until early 2010.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #74
Veritas
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTDragon View Post
The primary reason I have not bought one yet is that their over the air service is through Sprint and I just don't get Sprint coverage where I live. I plan on taking a good hard look at B&N's Nook as I believe its' service is through AT&T
The new International version of the Kindle has Whispernet provided by AT&T and its global roaming partners.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:25 AM   #75
Poronico
Teh Forever Noob

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Poronico will become famous soon enoughPoronico will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I'm looking into buying a Kindle. Looks like it is something I would really enjoy.

I'm not looking for testimonials - "My brother-in-law has one and he loves it". I'm looking for actual feedback and discussion on detailed features and usage from inmates who own one.

Thanks.
I have read alot of great things about the newer kindles, also you can download books for free on the net and not having to pay an arm and a leg for them. This is actually on my xmas list for my girl so I would advise getting a newer generation one due to add on storage and battery life.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #76
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Well, after much research and comparisons between Kindle, Nook, and Sony, I pulled the trigger and bought a Kindle. I've been scouring the list of books and have pre-ordered a $hitload. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Thanks to everyone who offered feedback.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #77
Veritas
Still Watching My Back

What steered you to the Kindle over the Nook? I own a Kindle and love it, but now would probably choose a Nook if I were purchasing for the first time.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #78
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
What steered you to the Kindle over the Nook? I own a Kindle and love it, but now would probably choose a Nook if I were purchasing for the first time.
Nook was first to be eliminated for me. It came down to Kindle vs. Sony for me.

Some major down-sides of the Nook for me were:
  • Return policy - 14 day w/ 10% restocking fee. (Kindle and Sony are 30 day w/full refund)
  • B&N gift cards cannot be used to purchase e-books for the Nook. Huge issue if you ask me.
  • Cost of books were equal or greater then Kindle/Sony.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #79
Veritas
Still Watching My Back

I didn't know about the gift card restrictions. I redeem my credit card points for gift cards, so that would be an issue for me also.

The one feature that still draws me to the Nook is the ability to loan e-books to another user. There were several of us in the desert with Kindles and I would have liked to be able to pass a book to one of them when I finished with it.

That feature is only useful if several of your friends have a Nook, otherwise it's a non-issue. Since I don't know anyone who has pre-ordered one, I'll probably get her a Kindle.

Kindle's software upgrade allows for the viewing of .pdfs in their native format now. That was another point of the Nook that was appealing that is now not an issue.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #80
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
I didn't know about the gift card restrictions. I redeem my credit card points for gift cards, so that would be an issue for me also.

The one feature that still draws me to the Nook is the ability to loan e-books to another user. There were several of us in the desert with Kindles and I would have liked to be able to pass a book to one of them when I finished with it.

That feature is only useful if several of your friends have a Nook, otherwise it's a non-issue. Since I don't know anyone who has pre-ordered one, I'll probably get her a Kindle.

Kindle's software upgrade allows for the viewing of .pdfs in their native format now. That was another point of the Nook that was appealing that is now not an issue.
Also, the lending feature of the Nook is good for one user for 14 days only. Lend a book to friend - you can't lend that book again to anyone else - ever.