Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 AM   #81
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Super Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
2. A new holiday has been declared in the New Orleans area. The people who do show up for work today are not obligated to actually do any work.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #82
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Freeney looked pretty good with a bad wheel. The Saints doubled him all day, and he still managed a sack.
Posted via Mobile Device
yes one sack.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #83
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

In response to some other posts:

1. Freeny only had 1 sack. That's not a "dominating" performance.

2. "Bad" officiating? I was pleased that they let the teams play without a lot of yellow flags. But since it was brought up, there were some Colt players who should have been flagged for unnecessary roughness for kicking and taking swings at Saint's players, too.

3. The refs didn't give the Saints the game. If the two point conversion call had been held up, the Saints would have still won by 12 points. The game was won when Porter intercepted Manning and ran it back for the touchdown.

4. Conspiracy theories are for losers, to make them feel better for losing. How about all those stories over the past two week saying the Colts were head and shoulders better than the Saints and that basically all the Colts had to do was walk on the field and the Saints would curl up on the sidelines.

5. This was a good game. Manning will be a first ballot Hall of Fame QB. The game came down to two plays by the Saints - the onside kick to open the 2nd half and the interception return by Porter.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #84
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
1. Freeny only had 1 sack. That's not a "dominating" performance.
I don't believe anyone called it a dominating performance (straw man). But, he looked pretty good for having a torn ligament in his ankle and being doubled on every play.
Quote:
3. The refs didn't give the Saints the game. If the two point conversion call had been held up, the Saints would have still won by 12 points. The game was won when Porter intercepted Manning and ran it back for the touchdown.
Actually, if that call was upheld, it's a completely different game. The Colts would have been looking to run the clock rather than needing a score. But, I didn't have a problem with that call, it was a good challenge. At least the plane was actually broken, unlike the Minnesota game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #85
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
The game came down to two plays by the Saints - the onside kick to open the 2nd half and the interception return by Porter.
No doubt the two key plays in the game.

I can't believe the guts to go for an onside kick, down in the game when pretty much dominated in the first half. Amazing!
Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #86
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

One thing that surprised me and really made me disappointed in Peyton Manning was his leaving the sidelines for the locker room before the final seconds were off the clock.

You would have thought he would be gracious enough to at least shake hands with Brees and tell him "good game."

Now. About Manning. He is a Hall of Fame QB in waiting. He has the one Superbowl ring already. But here is something most people don't know about him and post-season football - and I know this because he was playing high school football down here the same times my two sons were playing - he hasn't won that many "championships."

As a starter at his high school he lead his team to the playoffs three times. Never won a state championship.

As a starter at Tennessee he never won a national championship.

In the NFL he only has one.

He is still a great quarterback.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:00 AM   #87
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
In response to some other posts:
4. Conspiracy theories are for losers, to make them feel better for losing. How about all those stories over the past two week saying the Colts were head and shoulders better than the Saints and that basically all the Colts had to do was walk on the field and the Saints would curl up on the sidelines.
But they are pretty creative and entertaining.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #88
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Congratulations to the Saints and the City of New Orleans!

Chris.....
Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #89
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
But they are pretty creative and entertaining.
You sir are correct.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #90
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

All I know is that I picked NO to win and also bet the under. Im a happy guy.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #91
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
All I know is that I picked NO to win and also bet the under. Im a happy guy.
Speaking off betting, what was the over/under on how many times Daltry's voice cracked? That was just painful to watch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #92
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Congrats Saints. Shilala is shocked.
Totally.
I really didn't think the Saints had it in them. They certainly earned it. They were as well prepared a ball team as I've ever watched hit the field.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:35 AM   #93
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

I had the score right, just the wrong team winning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
What Was That You Colts Fans Said???? Field Day??? Who dat? Geaux Saints! Underdogs Win 31-17!
Not a Colts fan, an Eagles fan. Picking a score/side doesn't make one a fan.

Congrats to the Saints' fans on the SB win.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:49 PM   #94
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Watched the game at a friends house. Only 7 of us there but we did strip cards for half time and final scores. Won the half time didn't even know it ran to the bathroom. Then start playing Skee Ball on the I-Phone trying not to watch the end of the game because... I won the final score too!! $12 turned into $70. Woot. It was a great game.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #95
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Stupidest thing I read before the game - that the Colts were going for a "dynasty"
Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #96
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

The television ratings are in and this years Super Bowl is now the most watched TV show ever. It eclipsed the Finale of M-a-s-h which was the highest rated. Neilsen Co. reports that 106 million people are estimated to have watched the game. The 1983 rating for MASH was 105.97.
The Story around the city of New Orleans and Katrina and Peyton Manning going for his second Super Bowl ring were attributed as factors in the high rating.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100208/ap_ … wl_ratings

Geaux Saints!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #97
acruce
Just killing Time

Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acruce View Post
I don't think the Saints corners will be able to match up with the Colts receivers. Peyton and the Colts offense should have a field day against the Saints defense.
I stand corrected, great game for the Saints and there fans.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #98
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Speaking off betting, what was the over/under on how many times Daltry's voice cracked? That was just painful to watch.
Posted via Mobile Device
When Pinball Wizard was wrapping up, mercifully early, my jaw was on the floor.
I could not believe what I was seeing or hearing. Thankfully they managed to rock it from there through the end.

Cheers to the Saints, the game went exactly as i had predicted. They would get down by two scores
in the 1st, come back to tie in the second, add some points in the 3rd and slam the door in the 4th.
This is essentially the same way they had won all year.

Jeers to ANYONE who saw questionable officiating during that game. I was on the lookout for it,
since that's all anyone talked about for two weeks, dirty play by the Saints. It didn't happen, and
the refs for the most part let the game roll on unimpeded. I yelled all year about officiating helping
Florida, so believe me, I know what to look for. Anyone who saw anything that didn't look right to
them needs to learn about football. No one that knows the rules and understands the way
the game is played can say they saw anything but the Saints beating the Colts fair and square.
I need to read the comments about the 2 pernt conversion, all I saw on the live play was a sqeaking
successful try, and as they went to break, I was saying "when we get back from commercial, if there
is no review in progress, I'll eat my hat." In replay it was clear that the player finally gained possession of the
ball and reached it over, hit the ground, reached it over again, and only lost possession when the Colts
player hit his arms and the ball. Maybe that's not what the point of the dustup was anyway, but
there was no mistake made in the end. Hey, if you want to win the Super Bowl, you would be very well advised
to keep yourself from falling victim to a defense that has made hay ALL YEAR LONG on opposing offenses. HOLD
ONTO THE BALL, treat possession with a little more respect and you will have no problems beating the Saints.
It's just that no one could resist giving it up or having it taken from them.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #99
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The proper call should have been offensive holding. Replay clearly showed the Colts receiver pulling back on the cornerback's arm.
Yep, and you know, when I called Florida cheaters for doing the same thing to LSU, about 3 times worse,
I said the refs threw the game for Florida. It was T-bones roomate, drug the LSU defender out of
position by his jersey and goes in for the easy score. THAT was flagrant. That the ref didn't SEE
it and didn't flag it made me a whiner in this forum. So I guess whoever is upset by that play getting
called in the Saints game is by definition a whiner. Believe me I know it is no fun being called a whiner.
And when Florida got their A$$ handed to em by Bama, I forgot all about it. So you can heal, too.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #100
OLS
Suck It

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob View Post
1st troll I have seen in awhile. Guess they never die.
Nah, he's got 2000-something posts. That makes him incorrect, not a troll.