Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
PopsGoer
PopsGoer

Trading: (0)
Montecristo
PopsGoer is on a distinguished road
Default the "restoration" of a cigar?

i was enjoying a cigar at my friends house over the weekend. the small group of 4 i was with got on the topic of dry cigars. one of the fellas spoke of a technique i found interesting and too good to be true. he said that he goes into little hole-in-the-wall tobacco stores and purposely finds the dry cigars of the humidor. he comes out to the cashier and complains about the health of the cigars he held in is hand and negotiates with the cashier. he somehow ends up getting them at a reduced price. now the next part of his claim is what im interested in. he said that he then takes them home, seals them in a ziplock bag with no air in it, leaves them in a freezer for a month, takes them out and stores them in his humidor at 70% humidify...... he called it restoring a cigar. he claimed it refreshed the cigar, bringing the moisture and fresh tastes back to it... is it fact? or Bluff?
PopsGoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
PopsGoer
PopsGoer

Trading: (0)
Montecristo
PopsGoer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: the "restoration" of a cigar?

and to add on... i will not be having a smoke with him again, playing cigar/tobacco shops is wrong in my eyes. society is pretty disappointing
PopsGoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

In theory, this isn't too far off of what a lot of people do with any new cigar into their humidor. A lot of people freeze everything that comes in, and anything that is under-humidified would need to be rehydrated. A completely dry cigar would not work under the method described as 70% would likely cause more issues with how the cigar rehumidified.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Cigars are pretty resilient, they can be brought back from "the dead" pretty easily. As far his method, I've never heard of it. Scamming B&M places like that is pretty low in my book, I wouldn't hang out with people like that.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

As a whole, cigars are pretty resilient. Ultimately, it depends on how dried out and for how long the cigar actually was "dry" when you start. "Dried out" cigars that are coming out of a somewhat maintained humidor probably aren't really all that dry. While on the other hand, a cigar that has been baking in the glove box of a car for a year is probably shot.

Sticking any of these B&M dried out cigars in your humidor for a month or two will let them come back up to a more desired moisture level (if they don't split). Because they likely still had a decent moisture level from being in the B&M humidor, they probably didn't noticeably lose much flavor.

As for the freezing, that won't help in restoring the humidity, but it will help to prevent any beetle infestations.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I would put it in 3 ziplock bags, for 3 months, at 3 degrees and then smoke.

It's known as the "Rule of 3's".

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
CoffeeWaterBeer
Critiquing Perique

First Name: Seth
Trading: (13)
Partagas
CoffeeWaterBeer will become famous soon enough

On top of scamming being a shady practice, how much fun can it really be to base what you smoke off of whatever looks to be in shiddy condition at the shop? That's no way to live.

People never cease to amaze me.
CoffeeWaterBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

I'm fairly sensitive when retailers are wronged. In this case, I don't feel the same outrage as some of you. The product is, indeed, inferior. And the patron has to go to more, additional effort than he normally would have.

Now, if he's manipulating the conditions in the humi or talking the proprieter into discarding them- and then diving in their dumpster....well, that'd be another thing altogether.

As to the cigars....I'm w/TG. Takes a while at pretty poor conditions for the natrual oils to dissipate enough to destroy the cigars.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Quote:

That's so last year.
I use the Rule of 4's but I'm not telling what it is - otherwise you might all start snatching up the not quite perfect cigars from the cigar stores and I won't be able to weasel them any more
Old 02-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Only way to know is a side by side smoke with an identical cigar that has never dried out. My hunch is that they won't taste the same. The restored cigar will be more bland, harsh and unappealing as oils also evaporate off the cigar.

I'd rather just pay the extra or "normal" amount for a pristine no issue cigar, but that's me..
Old 02-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I'll not comment on the "morality" issue, but on the "recovery" one I did once hear a shock treatment trick I've tried a time or three. Namely, take the crispy cigars with you into the bathroom when you take a hot shower, which allows the high humidity to treat the dried-out sticks.

It also works for taking the wrinkles out of your thousand-dollar Ermenengildo Zegna suits.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

I would tell your acquaintance that he should just buy online or lower his price point rather than go through extremes to enjoy a cigar.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I have taken cigars and put them in a sealed Rubbermaid/Tupperware container with a sponge soaked in distilled water. Can you get the humidity back up to make it smokable? Yes!

Now, if it has seriously dried out to the point of crunchy/crispy, I have found that the will not be quite the same in regard to flavor.

On the same principle, you can eat food that has obviously been in the freezer too long - there is frost on the outside of it (not yet freezer burned), but it isn't the same as if it were fresh or not in the freezer for too long.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #15
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I just can't see that he's "saving" all that much money, on top of that how many times can this work, once if that? Not like he's going to keep going back to the same place looking for random crispy cigars, but who knows maybe there are 12 B&Ms within a mile or something... most likely not though.

My recommendation is buy what you actually want to smoke and smoke them, not some random old poorly cared for sticks to save 2 bucks.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Some people just have to feel like they're getting a bargain or making a good deal. They're the same type of people that go to garage sales, pick up a beer mug that's for sale for 25 cents and say "Will you take a dime for it?"
Porch Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Some people just have to feel like they're getting a bargain or making a good deal. They're the same type of people that go to garage sales, pick up a beer mug that's for sale for 25 cents and say "Will you take a dime for it?"
Does your offer still stand, James?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #18
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Does your offer still stand, James?
Yes, but postage is $50.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:00 PM   #19
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Yes, but postage is $50.
Newman....

Old 03-10-2020, 03:25 AM   #20
Derson

Yes, indeed, I also buy dry cigars, put them in the freezer, they are no different from fresh ones. After I put them in special containers for storage, where the optimum level of humidity is maintained for long periods of time. I recommend that you read the detailed information on storing cigars at smokeprofy.