Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 02-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #61
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LOST Notes

All I can say is that the writers of lost are freakin' geniuses. Every time I think the show is jumping the shark and they don't know what they're doing, BOOM.. they have another great episode.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #62
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

LOST TIDBIT

1. In a recent Podcast, a viewer asked the LOST creators how Kelvin came to be on the island. He was there pushing the button when Desmond first crashed on the island in 2001. We had also seen him as the American soldier who worked with Sayid in Iraq in the early 1990's. The show's creators said it may have been possible that Dharma recruited him AFTER the purge (when Ben and the Others gassed all of Dharma). Stay tuned... We will get more info on Kelvin in the future.

2. The show's creators recently said that we will definitely learn why Kate robbed a bank to get a toy plane.

3. Remember the psychic who told Claire not to allow Aaron to be raised by another (an Other?)? His daughter came back to life after drowning... Eko was the priest who investigated the miracle. That daughter's name was Charlotte Malkin. Another Charlotte with red, curly hair...

4. Daniel Faraday referenced the Orchid Hatch in his journal. We saw this when he first met Desmond... that would have been the mid-late 1990's.... yet, he traveled to the island in 2004 for the first time. See attached screenshot...

5. Ms. Hawking's computer screen shows star/ asterisk symbols much like the one Juliet was branded with after she killed another Other (I think it was Danny Pickett). See screenshots...

6. Someone drew my attention to a theory as to why there were polar bears on the island. It seems so obvious now. Perhaps the polar bears were trained to push the frozen wheel to move the island. It's pretty cold down there and polar bears can be trained. Remember when we first met Charlotte Lewis she was working as an anthropologist and discovered polar bear remains in the desert of Tunisia. The remains had a collar with a Dharma Hydra station tag. The Hydra Station is where the bear cages and shark aquarium are located (on the smaller island). A Tunisia desert is where Ben ended up after he turned the frozen wheel...see attached screenshots.

Tonight's episode is titled "316"

Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #63
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
I have a theory about the Ajira Airways bottle . . . I believe at the end of this season the O-6 willl make it back to the island by taking an Ajira Airways flight that crashes on the island.
Well, it looks like I was only wrong in that I thought it would take until the end of the season for the O-6 to make it back to the island. I'm smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
2. The show's creators recently said that we will definitely learn why Kate robbed a bank to get a toy plane.
Don't we already know this?

I thought the toy plane belonged to Kate's childhood friend who got killed when she was running from the law after visting her mother in the hospital. The US Marshall (the one that died in the plane crash) stated he put the plane in the safety deposit box to lure Kate out of hiding.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #64
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Episode 5 - "316"

1. This episode seemed kind of off to me. I feel like the audience was kept out of the loop and that this episode will be put into perspective for us at some point. I don't know... Ms. Hawking's explanations, Jack's willingness to let go of science and just give in to faith after all this time, Kate's behavior, it all seemed to convenient or something. Maybe Jack's hero complex just took over and he forgot the whole science vs. faith debate so he could get back there to save his friends.

2. This time they have the right pilot! Remember that Lapidus was supposed to be the original Oceanic Flight 815 pilot... He had the best line of the night last night... "We're not going to Guam, are we?"

3. What was Ben doing at the marina when he called Jack? Did he get bloody from "visiting" Penny? Maybe his unfinished business was paying Widmore back for killing Alex? Either that or Ben and Sayid met up. Remember that Sayid said next time he saw Ben it would be very unpleasant.

4. Jack's grandfather Ray... kinda young looking, searching for something, always running, wants to go somewhere where no one can find him. Has he been to the island before? Why were we shown that scene? Just so Jack could get Christian's shoes? I feel like there's more to it...

5. Speaking of the shoes... we now know why Christian had on white tennis shoes in his coffin. Jack didn't see him fit to wear nice shoes to the grave. One last attempt for Jack to disgrace an unfit father. BUT, as Jack said to Ms. Hawking "This is ridiculous." Why would he have to give Locke something that belonged to Christian? Do they really have to be this specific in recreating the flight? Maybe Christian's body was a proxy for the last flight much like Locke's body is the proxy for this flight??? Maybe the shoes (or anything that belonged to Christian) weren't necessary and Jack was just being tested.

6. Hurley had a guitar to recreate what Charlie had on the original flight. Did Charlie appear to Hurley again and convince him to get on the plane?

7. Widmore and the Lamp Post Dharma station... Widmore told Desmond where to find Ms. Hawking so, apparently, he (Widmore) knew where to go to get the information to find the island. If Widmore's been searching for the island why didn't he just go to the Lamp Post Station himself?

8. Kate sure did change her mind quickly. Where is Aaron and why is she going along with Jack? For me, the only acceptable place that Aaron could be is with Claire's mother, who we know is in the LA area getting her Oceanic settlement. So, why did Kate change her mind? Ben planted a seed last week. Last week, at the marina, Ben told Kate "You're not his mother." Those words seem pretty hypocritical of Ben, considering the whole Alex debacle. Ben was never really Alex's father, and the whole situation ended badly because of his selfishness in wanting to raise her. I think in his own tactless way, Ben was imparting this lesson upon Kate in the last episode. He was not-so-subtly letting her know that she shouldn't make the same mistake he did. Perhaps Kate realized she should not be so selfish and therefore handed Aaron off to his actual family. So... in her despair over giving Aaron up, Kate "visited" Jack. Did she get pregnant so that she could recreate having a pregnant woman on the flight?
9. Simon's Butcher shop... Charlie's Dad's name was Simon and he was a butcher. I think I mentioned this before. Funny that Ben's butcher shop was named Simon's Butcher Shop.

10. So, if Jin is working for Dharma in the 1970s (I'm assuming since he's wearing the jumpsuit and driving a sweet van) then perhaps young Charlotte learns Korean because Jin taught it to her then! He would now know that teaching her Korean would serve its purpose when she returns to the island.

11. The Oceanic 6 have changed roles: Sayid is now Kate - Shackled, sullen, and accompanied by some type of law enforcement official. Ben is now Hurley - Or at least he arrives that way. Ben is last to board the plane at the very last second, having just made the flight. Kate is now Claire - Broken, confused, and torn over a decision she just made regarding her child. Then again... maybe they are all proxies like Locke? Maybe the flights always need to have a body in a coffin, a pregnant woman, a fugitive, etc. Maybe the island keeps bringing crashes there with hopes that the next survivors will right whatever is wrong?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #65
Waynegro1

Very nice recap and food for thought, Mugen. I always enjoy/look forward to reading your posts after each episode. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:45 AM   #66
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Another great recap Bao. I can't help wonder if Ben was present when Locke decided to kill himself. Did Ben plant the letter at the scene hoping that it would end up with Jack? Maybe that extra nudge to get him to go back to the island in case he didn't want to? They sure focused on it a couple times.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #67
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
Another great recap Bao. I can't help wonder if Ben was present when Locke decided to kill himself. Did Ben plant the letter at the scene hoping that it would end up with Jack? Maybe that extra nudge to get him to go back to the island in case he didn't want to? They sure focused on it a couple times.
Well in the preview for next week's episode we see Jack slipping the noose around his neck, and I'm 99% sure I saw Ben kneeling down in front of him. As if he was pleading for him not to do it and said something along the lines of "Jack you're more important than you know".

I'll try to find the clip online.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:58 AM   #68
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Totally missed that....the DVR stopped recording before the previews came on.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #69
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

I agree it was Ben...
Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #70
kugie
Have My Own Room

First Name: Joe
Trading: (3)
kugie will become famous soon enough

I think the greaset line of the Show this year is.
"we're not going to Guam Are We"
Old 02-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #71
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegro1 View Post
Very nice recap and food for thought, Mugen. I always enjoy/look forward to reading your posts after each episode. Keep up the good work.
Ditto, great work. I wish my memory was as good as yours.

I was so proud of myself when I recognized Lapidus's voice.

I watched a couple minutes of the "pop-up-video" version of last weeks show, did you see that Ms. Hawking met Desmond before (and refused to sell them a ring)?

These writers are really, reeally good with the details.
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #72
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Thanks for the kudos guys but honestly this is a friend of mine that does this stuff...she loves to go on "Lost" forums and compile this info to share. So I figured I'd share her knowledge and my enjoyment of the show with the B(S)OTLs.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #73
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

More things that make you go

1. How unsettling was Ben's call to Jack when he was bloody at the marina; we know Desmond, Penny and little Charlie arrived by boat. Shades of Hannibal Lector in "Silence of the Lambs," no? ... the pay phone, the old friend... not to mention Charlotte referred to "Hannibal" last week.

2. Kate's line "Just because we're on the same plane, doesn't make us together."

3. The Lamp Post Dharma station. It's another reference to the "Chronicles of Narnia," in which the lamp post is a landmark that shows the way between worlds and burns continuously without fuel. (It's been noted that when the character was introduced in Season 4, Charlotte Staples Lewis's initials match CS Lewis, the author or Narnia).

4. Ben was reading "Ulysses" on the plane, which features motifs of lightness and darkness, surrogate fathers and sons, heroes and saviors, and parallels with Homer's Odyssey, etc...
An interesting theory that I read suggests that stories from literature which describe a magical place (El Dorado, Shangri-la, Eden, Atlantis, Fountain of Youth, etc) are all describing the island, as told by people who have actually visited the island.

Something my friend read noted the similarities between LOST and Disney's Atlantis: the Lost Empire:

.The rich man that funds the expedition is named "Whitmore" (Widmore)
.The key to finding the city is in a journal (Faraday's Journal)
.This journal is called "The Shepard's Journal" (Jack Shepard and family)
.There is a monster that guards the entrance to the city (Smoke Monster)
.The entrance is through long tube-like caves (the holes to the frozen wheel, caves we saw in season 1)
.There is a volcano near the city (volcano on the island has been mentioned)
.The Atlantians have healing power (island has healing power)
.The Atlantians age very, very slowly (Richard Alpert)
.There is a great power/ life force under the city (the frozen wheel)
.There are giant statues that surround the city (four toed statue)
.Only Atlantians of royal blood can use the power to save the city

Have a good weekend everyone! Only 5 days left until "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"
Old 02-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #74
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post

Something my friend read noted the similarities between LOST and Disney's Atlantis: the Lost Empire:

.The rich man that funds the expedition is named "Whitmore" (Widmore)
.The key to finding the city is in a journal (Faraday's Journal)
.This journal is called "The Shepard's Journal" (Jack Shepard and family)
.There is a monster that guards the entrance to the city (Smoke Monster)
.The entrance is through long tube-like caves (the holes to the frozen wheel, caves we saw in season 1)
.There is a volcano near the city (volcano on the island has been mentioned)
.The Atlantians have healing power (island has healing power)
.The Atlantians age very, very slowly (Richard Alpert)
.There is a great power/ life force under the city (the frozen wheel)
.There are giant statues that surround the city (four toed statue)
.Only Atlantians of royal blood can use the power to save the city
At some point a few years ago I remember reading someone's theory about how the Lost island is really Atlantis. Those are interesting parallels with the Disney movie.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #75
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough

My favorite line was when Jack asked Mrs. Hawkings if Ben was lying and she said "Probably."
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #76
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigargal View Post
My favorite line was when Jack asked Mrs. Hawkings if Ben was lying and she said "Probably."
i must concur
Old 02-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #77
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugie View Post
I think the greaset line of the Show this year is.
"we're not going to Guam Are We"
Quote:
It's a toss up!
Old 02-22-2009, 05:33 PM   #78
Cigargal
Waiting for SoCal XI

Trading: (25)
Partagas
Cigargal will become famous soon enoughCigargal will become famous soon enough

What about that bloody business with Ben...He is all beaten up and nobody presses him for an explanation? So the original 6 are going back to the island, and Aaron doesn't count because he was born on the island?
Cigargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #79
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

Quote:
What about that bloody business with Ben...He is all beaten up and nobody presses him for an explanation? So the original 6 are going back to the island, and Aaron doesn't count because he was born on the island?
I think Bao mentioned earlier that maybe that is why Kate and Jack had sex. She was hoping to get pregnant, so then she would be filling the role of Claire and Saeed would be filling Kate's role now that he is under arrest? I dunno.. this show is great though!
Old 02-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #80
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Bao where are you???
AD720 is offline   Reply With Quote