Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
JKim

Default AVO - 75th Anniversary

Shape = Double Corona
Length=7" RG =50
Wrapper = Ecuador
Filler = San Vicente Ligero and Seco
Binder = San Vicente Ligero

Trying to disregard that this cigar was released for regular production as the Signature Series, I did make a few visual comparisons. The Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper on the 75th is a dark chocolate brown compared the milk chocolate wrapper on the Signature Series.

The 75th however was AVOs limited release in 2001. I've had these resting at 65% for about a year or so.

Paired with Bailey's and Britt Coffee.

Pre-light Aroma and taste is very characteristic of the LE05.

The draw provides a good bit of resistance. Initial pulls provide an ample amount of smoke filled with light spice, tobacco, and dried fruit.

The ash is a little peculiar for me. As it forms in the first half inch, it is pure white and flaky. I usually associate flaky with grayish black, and white with tight and firm.

The cigar is pretty uneventful in the first inch. Not my favorite AvO so far sure. There is something distinctly different from the other Limited Releases on the nose exhale. More licorice. Something I'd experienced on fresh LE 07s, a characteristic that isn't evident on other LE07s I've smoked over the last year and a half.

Inch and half, the profile hasn't changed, the dominant finish is sweet spice. At this point, the cigar is starting to become richer, putting me in a good place mentally that AVOs have been known to do, i.e. becoming numb to reality.

At the end of the first third, a familiar nutty profile is starting to creep in.

Half way point, the licorice is stronger and sweeter. This cigar is changing it up nicely. One of most sugar sweet AVOs I've experienced.

Last third, the cigar lost a little life but started to pick it back up. Phew. I thought this was going to be a disappointing end. Nice spice on the finish at the end.

An enjoyable cigar lying somewhere between the LE05 and LE07 in terms of satisfaction. Burn time, and hour and 45 minutes.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
kwoody

Default Re: AVO - 75th Anniversary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKim View Post

Shape = Double Corona
Length=7" RG =50
Wrapper = Ecuador
Filler = San Vicente Ligero and Seco
Binder = San Vicente Ligero

Trying to disregard that this cigar was released for regular production as the Signature Series, I did make a few visual comparisons. The Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper on the 75th is a dark chocolate brown compared the milk chocolate wrapper on the Signature Series.

The 75th however was AVOs limited release in 2001. I've had these resting at 65% for about a year or so.

Paired with Bailey's and Britt Coffee.

Pre-light Aroma and taste is very characteristic of the LE05.

The draw provides a good bit of resistance. Initial pulls provide an ample amount of smoke filled with light spice, tobacco, and dried fruit.

The ash is a little peculiar for me. As it forms in the first half inch, it is pure white and flaky. I usually associate flaky with grayish black, and white with tight and firm.

The cigar is pretty uneventful in the first inch. Not my favorite AvO so far sure. There is something distinctly different from the other Limited Releases on the nose exhale. More licorice. Something I'd experienced on fresh LE 07s, a characteristic that isn't evident on other LE07s I've smoked over the last year and a half.

Inch and half, the profile hasn't changed, the dominant finish is sweet spice. At this point, the cigar is starting to become richer, putting me in a good place mentally that AVOs have been known to do, i.e. becoming numb to reality.

At the end of the first third, a familiar nutty profile is starting to creep in.

Half way point, the licorice is stronger and sweeter. This cigar is changing it up nicely. One of most sugar sweet AVOs I've experienced.

Last third, the cigar lost a little life but started to pick it back up. Phew. I thought this was going to be a disappointing end. Nice spice on the finish at the end.

An enjoyable cigar lying somewhere between the LE05 and LE07 in terms of satisfaction. Burn time, and hour and 45 minutes.
Nice Review! Got one (and my first) AVO resting in the humi.Cant wait. Did it leave much of a flavor in your mouth after you smoked it? This is one thing the AVO rep kept pressing on me.. that and that they compare to cubans (which I think all reps do)
Old 10-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
JKim

I wouldn't compare it to any Cubans, however it is one of my favorite Dominicans. The finish which is still lingering is spice. Not my favorite finish on an AVO, but it's alright. I think I'm a little distracted from smoking it too fast. I think I burnt my upper lip a bit.

I've experienced the range of finishes with the AVOs. From the XO not much lingering, to the Signatures and Domains, pleasant. LE05 and LE07 a more robust comforting finish, creamy and nutty. The 787 I do not remember. The 77ths and 22s are divine.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
kwoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKim View Post
I wouldn't compare it to any Cubans, however it is one of my favorite Dominicans. The finish which is still lingering is spice. Not my favorite finish on an AVO, but it's alright. I think I'm a little distracted from smoking it too fast. I think I burnt my upper lip a bit.

I've experienced the range of finishes with the AVOs. From the XO not much lingering, to the Signatures and Domains, pleasant. LE05 and LE07 a more robust comforting finish, creamy and nutty. The 787 I do not remember. The 77ths and 22s are divine.

Great. I wasnt trying to infer they tast like CC's just saying the AVO rep kept hammering this to me, as I assume most all reps do the same.

But thanks for the details
Old 10-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
GAW
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (9)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
GAW is on a distinguished road

Ji - as usual a circumspect review and I just happen to have one of these I have not yet burned. Wonder who might have sent it my way ? I'll smoke it soon and add my comments to this thread.Thanks for your well composed thoughts - you are indeed a real player in Avo space !

Jerry
GAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
JKim

Jerry, I would very much like to see your impression after smoking this cigar, as well as Jay Hemingway and PHP007. I'm pretty certain those two gentlemen have 75ths as well.

I considered doing a side by side with an Signature DC, but the shop I stopped by tonight only had the Lonsdale. I didn't think it would be a fair assessment. Perhaps a decent generalization. Different vitola and storage condition.

I will put up a review of the Signature Lonsdale most likely in the immediate future.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
php007
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (35)
php007 will become famous soon enough

Ji,

I agree on the flavor profiles with you, and yes you did smoke it too fast. That cigar takes me a good hour to truely enjoy it. One question, did it seem stronger than most any other Avo except for the 80th? One last thing, if you have a chance to age some Signatures for about a year do so. The flavor is truely amazing compared to a new one.

php007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Jay Hemingway
I know because of KRS1

Trading: (7)
LFdC
Jay Hemingway will become famous soon enough

i'll post up a review here when it goes down.
Jay Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #9
php007
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (35)
php007 will become famous soon enough

By the way the 75th was his first limited edition release.
php007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
JKim

Quote:
Originally Posted by php007 View Post
Ji,

I agree on the flavor profiles with you, and yes you did smoke it too fast. That cigar takes me a good hour to truely enjoy it. One question, did it seem stronger than most any other Avo except for the 80th? One last thing, if you have a chance to age some Signatures for about a year do so. The flavor is truely amazing compared to a new one.

Hey Paul, it took me an hour and 45 minutes to smoke the 75th. My review is a little messed up, but I believe I picked up the pace at the end, when I need to slow down.

I didn't think it was particularly any stronger than any of the other LEs. My little loss with reality can probably be attributed to a Nicotine buzz, but I get the same from the 77ths and the 22s.