Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 02-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #101
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Starting to like wine...the Red version

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
To clarify my last point, 'way up there before the baitch-slappin' fight started, I never said I liked the Mollydooker. Actually, I prefer something with a bit more bite, and I never mind high tannins . . . until it hits the alum-pucker stage, anyway. What I said, or thought I did anyway, was a higher-alcohol content does not mean the drink cannot be smooth.

As for comparing Mollydooker to Bud Light . . . well, I can see YellowTail maybe, but not Mollydooker, even if only by pricepoint.
No point in apologizing, IMO, we all drink what we like. I was as skeptical as the next guy when Mollydooker came out and yet when I tasted it the first time I really liked it. Not that I bought any after that, but it was enjoyable that night. Some days, depending on mood and company, even swill will taste great (I am NOT calling Mollydooker swill!) and on some night even your most prized wine collection may taste like crap.

As for alcohol, its a long and drawn out discussion on all levels for a number of years now. Too bad that a good number of those who are opposed to high alcohol, primarily wine retailers and restaurateurs, are so poorly educated on the subject since a good number of French/Italian wines they sell are actually way higher in alcohol than what is stated on labels. So, the old adage of "If a tree falls..." works here as well, as long as they don't know what is REALLY in the bottle, they spend the time talking down to you about the "benefits" of low alcohol wines. Like I said above, I'e had low alc wines where the first thing I experienced was alcohol and I have had almost 17% reds where it did not. If you ever find a bottle of Martinelli Giuseppe & Luisa Zin, from a GOOD vintage only, you will understand how little alcohol will "interfere" with the enjoyment, the wine is simply amazing.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #102
BC-Axeman

I like American oak, as long as it's not overdone.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #103
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I've been dealing with BBSs and later internet forums since the mid-late 80's and it still never ceases to amaze me how mixed up things can get in posts because people communicate differently. Technical facts get taken as negative critiques, sarcasm as attacks, miscommunication turn into fights, opinions are taken as challenges...

Screw this, I'm going to go get a bottle of MD20/20 Blue Kiwi wine and see if the flavor is improved by drinking it out of stemware.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #104
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Screw this, I'm going to go get a bottle of MD20/20 Blue Kiwi wine and see if the flavor is improved by drinking it out of stemware.
Better yet, use a cut off one liter bottle, cap side, inverted, (cap on, of course)
much better Nose that way, and the sharper edges of the unpolished PET plastic help the far too soft roundness and sweetness of that vintage. Don't fill it more than half full, it's considered declasse.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #105
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
What was so "intolerant" in my response to a wine recommended?
You didn't comment on the wine. Your reply included a modified quoted post that said "off to a good start" .
Your response was "If one doesn't mind the presence of American Oak barrels" Your statement was an indirect comment about the wine but saying that the list would then NOT be off to a good start.

If you wanted to comment on the wine, just say so. Commenting that the list is NOT off to a good start is totally different.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #106
TheRiddick
Non-believer

TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
You didn't comment on the wine. Your reply included a modified quoted post that said "off to a good start" .
Simply to indicate which post I was responding to. Take a look at my posts, I NEVER modify anyone's post, never did nor have any inclination to do so since they not my posts. I may bold something in a post I am responding to, but NEVER change any content.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #107
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

I'm drinking Rosemount
Shiraz 07

Kinda light and lightly fruity....any comments on this?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #108
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I'm drinking Rosemount
Shiraz 07

Do you like it?

If you do?

It's a good/great/wonderful wine.

I have had a bottle or two of the Aussie stuff. Enjoyed it too. But what do I know?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #109
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I'm drinking Rosemount
Shiraz 07

You thought that was light? Fruit forward indeed.

Jacob's Creek is another similar wine/price point you may want to consider. Their cab-shiraz blend adds more dimension than just straight shiraz. Thorne Clarke is another big one. I bought a case of JC for a give-away a few years ago and I am quite pleased how it has matured! Not many would bother, but for a $60 case, why not give it a gamble?

A wonderful step up is the Woodcutter's Reserve Shiraz which is I think is under $20.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #110
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

OK maybe it wasn't too light because I slept like a baby...13%

I might be confusing light as overall flavoring and spice...ugh so much to learn...
Old 02-24-2010, 08:39 AM   #111
BC-Axeman

Yeah, like full bodied-strong tasting. I can never get that nailed down. To me, light would be thinner and more subtle with less oak.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #112
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Light means in taste, color, and/or body.

Aussie wines are none of those.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #113
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Yeah, like full bodied-strong tasting. I can never get that nailed down. To me, light would be thinner and more subtle with less oak.
Thinner! That's what I meant by light.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #114
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I just opened a bottle of some swill called Henry's Drive 2006 Shiraz that is god awful. I aint no expert but I am thinking it is heavy (and I mean heavy) on the oak and tannins. Absolutely would not give you a nickel for another bottle. Thank the Lord that it was free.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #115
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Forgot to mention that it's Australian.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #116
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Maybe I just thought I was a heavyweight and am in fact a lightweight.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #117
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

I lost patience reading all the posts, so if this is redundant, please forgive this old codger....
Good red wines that are quite inexpensive can be found from Washington State. Try some of the Columbia Crest or Hogue wines. I'm particularly fond of the Columbia Crest Merlot/Cab blend (Merlot, Cabernet Franc & Cabernet Sauvignon), & Shiraz. The C.C. Cabernet Sauvignon by itself is kind of weak. Also, try some of the Alexander Valley (California) Pinot Noirs. Castle Rock is very good & can be had for about $12/bottle.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #118
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #119
TheRiddick
Non-believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggainey View Post
Forgot to mention that it's Australian.
Greg, I don't think there was a need to.

I do like a number of OZ wines, but they are either obscure/not widely available or expensive as hell (try Clarendon Hills for size). Anything below $10-12 price point, I stay away from, Far away.

See if you can find a bottle of Bogle Petite Sirah in your neck of the woods. Should be around $12 (or maybe even cheaper, I've seen a number of CA wines selling for less in FL than here). Come to think of it, any Bogle or Sebastiani offerings should provide for a clean, well made wine at an affordable price.

Also, one bottle you really need to try, especially with summer time coming, is Bonny Doon Pacific Reisling, just slightly chilled. Not the Icewine you had, but a great wine as aperitif as well as with food (Asian or some spice). And I have seen it sell at $8 per in FL (Miami area). If that is not abailable, try Fetzer Gewurtztramminer or Beringer Moscato (both in the $6 range), but that Bonny Doon is a great buy in all respects and beats many wines at double the price.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #120
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I appreciate the info Greg, will definately try to find these and give em a go.