Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Lake of the Ozarks, MO

Has anyone spent time at LOTO? We're considering going there at the end of August, but don't know about the area very much. The main thing that we are worried about is that people say not to go there in mosquito season, but then they never say when that is. Also, what is really bad for some is fine for others.

Our timeshare club has a nice resort there and my brother and his daughter are big on fishing. My nephew is stationed at Fort Leonard Wood as well, so that's a plus (if he can get leave - his unit is designated part of the ready response force). Overall, we're looking at 6 adults and probably 2 college students.

We are looking at August as my sister in law is a school teacher and can't really vacation when school is in session. I've heard great things about the local attractions (really, a castle?) and restaurants, so am just looking at timing. Zero chance of making a herf in the area, most likely.

Commentary?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Lake of the Ozarks, MO

I am guessing that mosquito season would be like most places, the wet season, mid-April through about mid-July. Of course, that is just a guest.

Hope that helps you.

Peace of The Lord be with you.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

you will enjoy it a lot. It does not really matter when you go. Fishing is great, there is tons of things to do at the Lake of the Ozarks. Great area.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

We had a condo there for years. Lots of good restaurants, an awesome outlet mall and even a decent cigar shop.

What's the name of the resort where you'll be staying? Will you have access to a boat?
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty1500 View Post
We had a condo there for years. Lots of good restaurants, an awesome outlet mall and even a decent cigar shop.

What's the name of the resort where you'll be staying? Will you have access to a boat?
Probably no boat, although too early to tell (friends of friends). The resort is Worldmark Lake of the Ozarks
Old 01-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

Really not familiar with Worldmark but I looked it up and it looks like a nice place. You guys are up by the State Park. We were way down at the 3 mile marker near the dam.

By car, you will be close to the outlet mall and the cigar shop I mentioned (Osage Cigar Co). A lot of restaurants on Hwy 54, mostly chains but a few really good lake traditions. You'll be close to the Potted Steer, a great (but pricey) place for a really good steak.

Most of the really unique restaurants are on the lake. You can get to them by car but be prepared to do some driving and the possibility that you will get totally lost. By water, the only problem is finding a slip to dock your boat.

If you have a boat, I should tell you that you will be on a very busy part of the lake ... lots of boats, BIG ones. That means that boating conditions can get rough, especially on the weekends in August ... middle of the week stuff should be okay. We were up there in our dinky 28 foot boat on Labor Day weekend and would never do it again.

On the other hand, all those boats are there for a reason. You are only 2 miles by water from "Party Cove" in the State Park. On most weekends, it is packed with 100's of boats all tied up together. It's one giant party with some truly amazing "scenery."

http://www.boatcrazy.com/party_cove_lake_ozarks_mo

or for the "scenery" ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=party...iw=792&bih=448

Whatever you decide to do ... you should have a great time ... ENJOY!
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

You will be fairly close to the Kansas City area also is you get a chance to break away for some herfing.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

We go there every August also. My wife loves the Coach outlet. I just love the scenery.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

A second vote for the Potted Steer.
It may look like a run down lil hole, but their food (red meat) is second to none in the area.
Mosquito season is from late April until late October. Thos lil 'uckers are always around. Just wear an off wristband or spray up if you're going to be outside. Mosquitos will just as easily find someone without deterrent to chew on if you prepare a little.

If you do decide to venture out via car for food, be careful on the roads (especially after happy hour[s]). There are lots of drivers that a) don't know where they are and b)shouldn't be driving. Curvy roads don't help any.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote