Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #1381
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

I use Cigar Aficionados' Personal Humidor.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #1382
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Good call, Brent!
That thread is full of so many grammatical errors that I can not stand it.

I don't want to beat a dead horse so that is all I am going to say but it really bothered me when they went at it and couldn't even spell correctly lol.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #1383
TwiceTheJava
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Greg
Trading: (0)
TwiceTheJava is on a distinguished road

I need help using and maintaining my torch lighters.

My luck with butane torch lighters is so bad that at this point it can't be bad luck, I must be doing something wrong. I've now purchased two expensive, dual-torch lighters (I'm not sure of the brand of my first, got it at a B&M years ago) and a Xikar Element.

The old one takes a dozen attempts to get a flame, which then goes out instantly. A few more dozen attempts and I either get a flame that lasts long enough to light a cigar, or I give up and use a cheap disposable.

The Xikar Element never lights on the first try (but always on the second try). After trying suggestions I read on here and adjusting the flame level, I made it worse. Now it takes several attempts to get it lit. I'm on my first "fill up" of the Xikar and I haven't even used it to light a cigar yet.

What I'm doing with the old one:
When fuel is low, I empty it completely by taking something small & pointy and pressing it to the refill nozzle thingy. I make sure it empties completely. I turn the lighter upside down, insert the butane refill, press and hold for a few seconds until the fuel indicator window looks filled. I have the flame adjustment knob set usually between 60-90% of maximum flame height.

The result is a hard time lighting them, and sputtering flames that look like there is too much air mixed in with the fuel. Oh, and I don't know what people are talking about when they use these things in the wind. A gentle breeze blows them out. Sometimes the old one goes out because it's too close to my face and my exhaling puts it out.

What am I doing wrong!?
TwiceTheJava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #1384
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Poor quality butane maybe? Try using Vector.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #1385
kickerb

Yeah, make sure you use a good quality butane.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #1386
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Poor quality butane maybe? Try using Vector.
Or Lava if you can still find it.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #1387
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

The xikars have a good warranty don't they? If you can't get it fixed tinkering with it, send it back.

My lotus was like your xikar where it wouldn't light on the first click, it would take two clicks every single time. I read somewhere that you ought to push the button slowly and that would help. I started doing that and now it lights on the first click, unless I forget and mash the button down. Also, it sounds like you may have the flame on the element set too low now, try turning it up a bit and see if that helps.

No clue on the older lighter, sorry. Like those guys said, make sure you are using good butane.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #1388
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

id just send the xikar in to be fixed. they have a great warranty. It was easy to see my last punch had been "abused" but they just replaced it no questions asked.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #1389
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Ronson Jetlite... for the price of the xikar you can buy 8 and one will be bound to work perfectly!
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #1390
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
Ronson Jetlite... for the price of the xikar you can buy 8 and one will be bound to work perfectly!

IMO, probably tied with the Palio cutter for best accessory bargain on the planet.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #1391
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post

IMO, probably tied with the Palio cutter for best accessory bargain on the planet.
Yeah, forgot to add the other 7 will work just fine and you can re-sell them on here to anyone that can't find one. Love those things.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:38 PM   #1392
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
i use my ronson more then my xikar and idc what happens to the ronson. which reminds me i need to buy more.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #1393
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devanmc View Post
i use my ronson more then my xikar and idc what happens to the ronson. which reminds me i need to buy more.
half the time I forget it out on the patio table and 3 days later sit down and pick it up to fire up another cigar. Hasn't failed me yet for $5.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #1394
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Or Lava if you can still find it.
Lava is getting very scarce these days but Tattooworks butane is alegedly the same formula/butane just under a new name due to the unexpected / untimely death of the owner of Lava which caused the name to get tied up in court for royalties or usage rights somehow.

http://www.lavabutane.com/

In unscientific testing of the product by simply using it my torches (yeah, I actually do use torches once in a while) I didn't notice any performance difference between Lava and Tattooworks, and both performed better than Vector.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #1395
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

didnt realize that about lava

I have used their butane for years and always been very happy with it
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #1396
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Ok I got through all 70 pages of this thread and didn't see an answer for this seriously noob question:

What is a punch? Is it just inserting a pen or a golf tee into the cap?
Those keychain things are they punches?

Really confused on this, I have a CHEAP cutter that I am not very happy with and looking for alternatives, I know about your fav cutters, but curious about these punches.....it sounds like the punch is a lot less hassle, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #1397
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

A punch is a device that punches a hole in the tip of the cigar.

You could use a golf tee or a pen -- I'm sure that you would not be the first. Most punches only pierce the wrapper and help to remove the cut-out piece of wrapper. Punches come in various sizes to accomodate different ring gauges.

One thing about a punch -- the open area tends to be smaller with a punch than with a cutter which may cause more tar build-up as you smoke.

You can pick up a nice punch to try out for just a few dollars.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #1398
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Michael, that looks like a large punch, unless you push it and it extends into a smaller pen like thing, thanks for the pic, that helps.....I need to experiment.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #1399
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Sorry I waited too long and couldn't edit my previous post...got another question:

I am going out and planning on getting 2-3 sticks today, I still don't have my humidor can I just store them in plastic bags until I am ready to smoke? Or do you suggest freezing them? If I do freeze them, how long do I have to wait after taking them out can I smoke them?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #1400
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Sorry I waited too long and couldn't edit my previous post...got another question:

I am going out and planning on getting 2-3 sticks today, I still don't have my humidor can I just store them in plastic bags until I am ready to smoke? Or do you suggest freezing them? If I do freeze them, how long do I have to wait after taking them out can I smoke them?

Thanks
You could always buy a 5-15 count traveler and a boveda pack till you get a proper humidor. Not like you won't end up using a travel humidor again someday anyways.

I'm sure they will keep decent for quite a while in a tupperware container. Get a boveda pack and toss it in there, cheap easy solution.