Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default La Aurora Preferidos Platinum

I can't believe there isn't already a review for this; I could have sworn at least I had posted one.

This is a vintage Platinum; made in early '06 and released for sale in July of the same year.

The construction is perfect; firm but not tight, solid, flawless perfecto shape. The pinnacle of skilled cigar-making, IMHO. The wrapper is a beautiful, toothy colorado. It smells divine; redolent of cedar, with a faint trace of barnyard.

Post-cut/pre-light, the draw reveals sharp cedar and assertive tobacco. The tiny foot toasts easily.

At the beginning, the flavors are muddled. About a half-inch in, it begins to gain the character it will retain throughout: pure tobacco, thick, plentiful smoke. In the background and through the nose, traces of dried, tart fruit, like cherries or apricots.

About an inch in, as the burn approaches the middle of the barrel, roasted flavors and aroma begin to come in

The rest is more of the same, along with some sweet coffee. Surprisingly strong tobacco flavor and nic hit for such a refined-looking cigar.

The burn wasn't razor-sharp, but that's the built-in hazard of a perfecto shape. Also it was windy and humid here, as a front seems stalled over the area; although it was nice and cool, so no complaints there.

A wonderful 40 minutes of pleasure.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: La Aurora Preferidos Platinum

Great Review! Smoked Two Of These Years Ago & Didn't Really Care For Them, But They May Have Been Too Fresh. Do They Need A Lot Of Rest?
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
rharris
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Richard
Trading: (48)
rharris will become famous soon enough

One of my favorites! Great review!
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

I smoked some of the very first releases (I want to say '02 or so...) and they were phenomenal right off the bat. So I don't think age is necessarily a factor to enjoy these.

However, the pleasant surprise about this stick was the realization that they are aging well, and could even benefit from more time.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:29 AM   #5
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

Never tried this, but heard good things about them after they have rested for a while. Thanks for sharing.
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

I still have a few from the 00 release. Haven't smoked in one in prob ten years lol.
VirtualSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

PL

I brain-farted and misidentified the wrapper as "corojo" when it's actually Cameroon.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Nice review, Thanks!