Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 11-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about
Default Glug for the holidays - Yummmmmmy

If you've never tried Glug, especially around the holidays, you are missing something wonderful! The following is a great receipt, and it makes a nice batch. Note: Glug can be saved by refrigerating for several weeks, and warmed up, by the glass whenever you want some. Give this a try!!!

GLUG

1 qt. port wine
1 qt. burgundy
1 c. white sugar
1 c. raisins
6 blanched almonds
1/2 tbsp. whole cloves
4 sticks cinnamon
4 cardamom seeds

Tie cloves, cinnamon, cardamom seeds together. In an 8qt. pot, pour 1 quart of water over the tied spices, sugar and raisins. Let simmer until raisins are plump, add the wine. When mixture bubbles around edges, add 1 cup of brandy. Stir until it begins to smoke. More brandy may be added if you want more of a kick to it, but no more than a 2nd cup. Serve with a couple of almonds and raisins in a warm cup. Serves 16 (6 oz. cups).
Old 11-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Glug for the holidays - Yummmmmmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
If you've never tried Glug, especially around the holidays, you are missing something wonderful! The following is a great receipt, and it makes a nice batch. Note: Glug can be saved by refrigerating for several weeks, and warmed up, by the glass whenever you want some. Give this a try!!!

GLUG

1 qt. port wine
1 qt. burgundy
1 c. white sugar
1 c. raisins
6 blanched almonds
1/2 tbsp. whole cloves
4 sticks cinnamon
4 cardamom seeds

Tie cloves, cinnamon, cardamom seeds together. In an 8qt. pot, pour 1 quart of water over the tied spices, sugar and raisins. Let simmer until raisins are plump, add the wine. When mixture bubbles around edges, add 1 cup of brandy. Stir until it begins to smoke. More brandy may be added if you want more of a kick to it, but no more than a 2nd cup. Serve with a couple of almonds and raisins in a warm cup. Serves 16 (6 oz. cups).
Sounds awesome! Does all the booze cook out or ca I get my father in law wasted on this stuff?
Old 11-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Sounds awesome! Does all the booze cook out or ca I get my father in law wasted on this stuff?
You would think it does, but it does not!!! If you boiled the mixture for a hour or so, most of the alcohol would evaporate, but your only heating it up until it starts to steam, right after you put the brandy in. A few servings of Glug will either make your very happy, or get you real S--t faced!

Last edited by JohnnyFlake; 11-28-2008 at 09:37 PM.
JohnnyFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

It's hard for me to believe that no one here has had Glug before!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
e36bt

I'm now curious. Maybe I'll give this a try for the holidays!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
It's hard for me to believe that no one here has had Glug before!
One year I sold Christmas Trees for a Church fundraiser and we were stuck outside in aparking lot in the freezing cold. A friend of mine pulledouta mason jar filled with some concoction with dried fruit and raisins in it. I thought he said it was rum and brandy and something else. No idea how he prepared it so I don't know if it was a version of this drink or not but I am trying this one out!!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

HUpmann Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
One year I sold Christmas Trees for a Church fundraiser and we were stuck outside in aparking lot in the freezing cold. A friend of mine pulledouta mason jar filled with some concoction with dried fruit and raisins in it. I thought he said it was rum and brandy and something else. No idea how he prepared it so I don't know if it was a version of this drink or not but I am trying this one out!!
I have heard of people using Rum and even Bourbon in place of Brandy, however, I have never had it with anything but Brandy. It's very good!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Glugg is great any time of the year.

I don't recall it having raisans or almonds either. I use to drink it several time a winter.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
Ace$nyper

Sounds like a holiday drink, I'll have to try this out.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
SonsofClubDeck

I'm a bigger fan of the Squidbillies version of "Glugg": Pine Cone liquor.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
PinkPistol86

Yum yum that sounds good. That would be good even without the holiday spirit. Just a cold winter day.