Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #21
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Best cigar age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJR View Post
When a cigar maker says that he ages his tobacco for 5 years before rolling the cigar does that count in the aging process? Or does a cigar only properly age after it is rolled?
Kinna-sorta... They are both actually proper, but they are different. The manufacturer aging the tobacco does affect the flavor, profile and characteristics of the tobacco, but because the aging is done in compressed bales, it's not the same as what you would get by aging the finished rolled product. Additionally, it's not uncommon for different components to be of different ages when the final cigar is assembled, ie, the filler might be 2 years aged in bales, the binder 6 months, the wrapper 5 years aged.

Hope that clarifies things a bit, and when you get a chance, please stop in over at the new inmates section, post an intro.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #22
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

To add to what Adam said, when the tobacco is aged by the manufacturer, it does give you a leg up on aging, to some extent. It's tough to define without comparing to new tobacco that has only been aged a minimum amount of time.
As you chase the hobby, you'll get to try different things and you'll get an idea of your own. Once you get to try some new cc's versus aged cc's, it really helps to understand what aging does for tobacco.
With nc cigars, there's a lot of different ideas about the effect of aging. Myself, I think it diminishes most cigars, muting flavors and diluting strength. If I can use that to my advantage, that's great. If I keep the smokes around so long that they get dull on me, I'm personally not pleased.
The best way to find out is by doing short tests of your own. Buy 3 smokes, smoke one now, one in 3 months, one in 6 months, etc. Do it with a bunch of smokes if you can. That way you can experience it firsthand and see what you like.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #23
merry12

As a general rule, most cigars need some time to age. Many of the higher end cigar manufacturers take care of this process for you by aging the cigars before they're released for retail sale. However, some cigars come fresh from the rolling table to your door within a matter of weeks! If you enjoy one of these brands, the best thing to do is to let the cigars "age" in a charged and calibrated humidor for 6-12 months before enjoying them.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #24
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

I guess since you have received your answer, you should stop by the introduction and tell us about yourself.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #25
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
I guess since you have received your answer, you should stop by the introduction and tell us about yourself.
Yep, and then head over to the Newbie Sampler Trade so Huy as a CIA can introduce you more properly to our humble abode!!