Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Cigar Caddy 40 count vs Xikar 30-50 count

I've narrowed it down to these two. No Hali in my future unless it falls in my lap. I clearly see where the CC40 and Xikar have a 10x foam insert on the top. Do they both have 4 levels (4 x 10 = 40)? Is it a 40 count but able to only hold 30 big RGs or 50 small RGs? Hopefully some of you guys here have one to comment on. I can get the CC40 for a little over half a hundred and the Xikar for 10 more. Is it worth 10 more for essentially the same case? The CC40 is bigger (12.25 x 10.25 x 5.375) vs the Xikar (12 x 9 x 4.5). Also, what about foam quality, any difference? I think the locks on the Xikar look better and the handle looks more ergonomic. For either, the humidifier will be removed or have beads substituted. Both have piano hinges and air equalization devices. Seems I read somewhere where the CC40 has rubber feet, but am not for sure.

Give me some feedback. I'm about tired of hauling this 15 count around for extended stays.

CC40

Xikar 30-50
Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cigar Caddy 40 count vs Xikar 30-50 count

Both good cases. I love my CC40. I would go with the best deal you can find.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Both good cases. I love my CC40. I would go with the best deal you can find.
How many foam trays - 4?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
How many foam trays - 4?
4 trays of 10
Old 04-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
levrac68
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Todd
Trading: (0)
levrac68 is on a distinguished road

I've got the CC and a 5 count mini caddy... Love em both. Either case should work well.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

I have no complaints about my CC40.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Xikar 30-50 and a Xikar 50-80 count and love 'em the same. Although I find myself only carrying the 50-80 count to larger herfs (IE. Epic, etc).
Old 04-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie, you have the outside dimensions on the cc40 and the inside dimensions on the Xikar. I have both sitting beside me and the xikar is markedly bigger. By markedly, I mean WAY bigger, bordering on cumbersome. It'll hold a mess of sticks, baggies, lighters, you name it. I have 46 sticks and 3 foam trays in there right now, and I could easily fit double the sticks. Triple if I got rid of the two foam trays. I use them on top, back to back, to sandwhich my good lighter and cutter. I need to find a little bag for them.
I generally take the foam out and use single finger bags.
Of the two, the Xikar is both larger and nicer.
If I had it to do all over again, I'd go with the Pelican Storm 2050. I've bought 5 now, one for me, 4 for the troops. They are the same size as the cc40 and they are the highest quality construction of all the plastic humis I've looked at. Just the right size, too. For the same price as the cc40, there's no comparison in quality.
The only problem, there are no trays in the Storm, although it is completely lined with foam. That's perfect for me, I use finger bags and chuck the trays. (I don't like the trays for some reason.)
We just did a thread on the Storms, let me see if I can find it for you. They're about $45 shipped from amazon, but I just bought the last three black ones from their cheapest supplier.

Last edited by shilala; 04-24-2012 at 05:49 AM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Here's that thread, Bub.
If you go Pelican, make sure they have the "pick and pluck" foam. You can do all sorts of crazy stuff with it.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #10
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

Thanks, Scott, for interjecting more confusion!

No, seriously, I do like the Pelican im2050. The price is right, too. I typically like to keep singles or 5-finger bags in the travel box, so the foam isn't that important. I like the green, but I think I like the yellow a little more.

With the pick and pluck can you pretty much remove the center foam and leave a lined edging and bottom edging? That would be neat and would be protective on all sides.