Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default TV shopping...question about 720/1080

I'm in the market for 3 small TV's, probably a couple of 22" TV's and maybe a 37". The salesman tells me that HD is broadcast in 720 and unless you're using it for something like blu-ray, you get no increase in picture quality using a 1080 vs. a 720. I just signed up with ATT U-Verse, so am I wasting money if I go up to 1080 if it's just going to be used to watch cable TV? Thanks!
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
NeverEnoughStick

Default Re: TV shopping...question about 720/1080

Now I'm no connoisseur of electronics but I do know that 720p is the same as 1080i. So unless you buy a 1080p tv you are not going to have a reduction in picture quality. Most companies broadcast in 1080i so you won't be at a loss and if I understand correctly tv companies aren't moving to 1080p for like 3 or 4 years.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnoughStick View Post
Now I'm no connoisseur of electronics
I even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and I still had to ask myself.

I never trust a salesman I don't know, especially one that is so new he doesn't have business cards with his name on it.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

I have no knowledge, and no experience, so my opinion is not even worth the 2-cents it is normally. But I see the issue as moot with the 22" sets, since the vast majority I've seen that size are 720. As for the 37", I would personally be more concerned with 60/120 response instead of the 720/1080 resolution . . . and since it seems you MUST go with the 1080 to get the faster response, I'd say that's the way to go for the larger set.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #5
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I'm in the market for 3 small TV's, probably a couple of 22" TV's and maybe a 37". The salesman tells me that HD is broadcast in 720 and unless you're using it for something like blu-ray, you get no increase in picture quality using a 1080 vs. a 720. I just signed up with ATT U-Verse, so am I wasting money if I go up to 1080 if it's just going to be used to watch cable TV? Thanks!
I have a 1080 I just bought.
When I change the channel, it tells me it is receiving HD in 720.
I called ATT and was told that is what it comes in like.
I guess only Blue Ray or whatever other technology will maximize the 1080.
Either way, I would get the 1080 now for the minimal difference and would also get 120 HZ if possible.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #6
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
I have no knowledge, and no experience, so my opinion is not even worth the 2-cents it is normally. But I see the issue as moot with the 22" sets, since the vast majority I've seen that size are 720. As for the 37", I would personally be more concerned with 60/120 response instead of the 720/1080 resolution . . . and since it seems you MUST go with the 1080 to get the faster response, I'd say that's the way to go for the larger set.
I should clarify this is not going to be one of our primary TV's as it'll just be a 2nd/3rd option if we're entertaining and it's a matter of giving the kids something to watch on. I would also possibly be hooking up a PS3 to it as well. I'm thinking of getting this one off craigslist locally for $400 with mounting rack. http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/t...etail&tab=spec

I saw it at Sam's Club today for like $675.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

You may want to consider reading this: http://consumerist.com/2010/05/hdtv-...ry-expert.html and the article they quoted before you get caught up in the so called 'specs'.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

North American HD TV signals are currently broadcast in 720p, Britain and some other countries use 1080i but as others pointed out they're effectively the same resolution. On sets smaller than 42" you'll have to be standing within a couple feet to see the difference in resolution between 720p and 1080p, at a normal viewing distance it's physically impossible for the human eye see the difference between the 2. Even on a 50" set you cannot see the difference between 720p and 1080p at 10', the effect beyond that distance is psychosomatic... you "see" more a cleaner picture because your mind "knows" that 1080p is better.

1080p is only really important on 55"+ sets or if you're sitting REALLY close to the tv. For the size TV you're talking about buying I'd ignore the 720p vs 1080p spec and concentrate on which set has the better feature set that you're likely to use, better overall build quality and rating, better warranty, etc. If all other specs are equal, buy the 720p model because it'll be cheaper... no point in paying for marketing hype that you can't use anyways.

mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote