Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road
Default Cold weather cigar smoking

Here in TX. tonight it's about 30 degrees . As I sat out in my garage smoking a Trinidad Corona, a smoke I normally find to be a very tasty cigar,for some reason the flavor profiles were not there,seemed kind of bland not much flavor at all. I know it may well just be the cigar,but I had to wonder if it was do to the cold weather.Now I know you good people up north will probably laugh while reading this, but I was just wondering if other people have had a nice cigar just taste kind of bland while smoking in the cold.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cold weather cigar smoking

I hate cold weather smoking. Here in Oregon cold weather is usually accompanied with humidity. The result of both definately changes the flavor profile... I could be wrong, it could be because I smoke faster when it is cold. Whatever the case, smoking in bad weather rarely has positive results for me.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I would agree that cold weather could definitely change the way a cigar tastes, not to mention that it changes your mindset too which could adversely change the way you perceive the way a cigar tastes in the same fashion if you decide to smoke your favorite smoke while being pissed off or nervous about something and find out it is not what you were expecting. I too experienced this, this past weekend. I knew I had to mow the lawn since the weather here is cold one day warm the next and decided to smoke a CFO Reserva 7. I lit the stick in the garage and smoked about a 1/4 inch while messing around in the garage and the stick tasted as it should but as I headed out in about 35 degree weather I too found the stick to be rather bland and lack luster, not to mention hard to keep lit. Finished up and headed back in the garage to finish the stick off and I did notice it pick up a little more flavor and keepig the cigar lit was no longer an issue. So I will agree with you that cold weather could effect a smoke. Will it effect it everytime, Probably not but part of the equation could just be mental.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by acruce View Post
Here in TX. tonight it's about 30 degrees . As I sat out in my garage smoking a Trinidad Corona, a smoke I normally find to be a very tasty cigar,for some reason the flavor profiles were not there,seemed kind of bland not much flavor at all. I know it may well just be the cigar,but I had to wonder if it was do to the cold weather.Now I know you good people up north will probably laugh while reading this, but I was just wondering if other people have had a nice cigar just taste kind of bland while smoking in the cold.
I have been known to put out the smoke I love to go back in the house just to warm up enough to begin to feel my fingers again. The smoke if left unpuffed begins to grow cold and does not have the same full flavor that it once did.

I cant wait for the warmer weather to return....

brigey57 is offline   Reply With Quote