Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #441
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rolling your own

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
Gonna be placing my own order for some leaves in the next few days. Waiting on molds as my boss may have some that he's willing to part with. As for a cheveta I'm thinking of getting a Xikar Cigar Knife(http://www.xikar.com/products/cutters/cigar-cut-knife), cuz yay for multipurposing and its super sharp from prior experience, but if a true cheveta has more merits to it for cutting then I'll go with that.

Oh, and has anyone tried using a plastic cutting board as opposed to a wooden one? I don't have a wooden one at the moment and would rather save the extra cash, but I already have plans for a trip to Target shortly after I get back down to Raleigh.
If you can't get or use a cheveta, use a pizza cutter. Make sure it's brand new do there are no chips in the blade
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #442
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkDrew View Post
If you can't get or use a cheveta, use a pizza cutter. Make sure it's brand new do there are no chips in the blade
Alright, thanks for the advice!
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #443
Shawn hines
Ready for something new

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
CoastGuard (Active)
Shawn hines will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thank you for the tips, This is what I have got
Shawn hines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #444
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Yo Andrew, I'd like to be placed on the list for some more tasties if ya don't mind, I have been busy and away from the boards, what wrappers do you have again?
Old 12-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #445
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

Alright, so I had a maduro today and I have noticed some big draw issues. Maybe it needs some more rest, or it was too tight to begin with.

That being said, if anyone is dissatisfied with a purchase they have made please lete know through pm. I will gladly work out a deal.

I am just very bummed by it today.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #446
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Yo Andrew, I'd like to be placed on the list for some more tasties if ya don't mind, I have been busy and away from the boards, what wrappers do you have again?
sent you a pm.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #447
Shawn hines
Ready for something new

CoastGuard (Active)

So I got my order in the other day and I was missing filler and glue, Sent a email and John from Leafonly is sending me another box ASAP said he would make it worth my while.

Andrew, storing in a large tote be ok with everything? My room has never smelled so good.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #448
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Oh yea, what is the best way to store them? Big ol tupperware container? And would it be best to invest in two and use one for dry storage and the other to wet the wrappers and binders?

Gonna finally place my order tonight so I'm there when it gets in as its only making the short trip from Ohio.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #449
Shawn hines
Ready for something new

CoastGuard (Active)

Quote:
Oh yea, what is the best way to store them? Big ol tupperware container? And would it be best to invest in two and use one for dry storage and the other to wet the wrappers and binders?

Gonna finally place my order tonight so I'm there when it gets in as its only making the short trip from Ohio.
If you are going though Leafonly.com, you should talk to John Wallace, he will get everything out to you fast and will make sure that it is right.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #450
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn hines View Post
If you are going though Leafonly.com, you should talk to John Wallace, he will get everything out to you fast and will make sure that it is right.
I found a different place to go through, but just from the email response I got I can tell he's gonna be a stand up guy.

http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/

Got the Cigar Sampler which comes with 2+ lbs of tobacco, 1/2 of a seco, 1/2 of a ligero, 1/2 of some wrapper graded broadleaf, and 1/2 of a fire cured leaf(there's also supposedly a wild card extra thrown in but I'll be happy with just whats known). Asked for the fire cured to be swapped with the other seco he offers and to swap the ligero for the other ligero(just since "dark air cured" sounds better to me than "TN90") and he had no problems with it.

I can't wait to just bury my face in the broadleaf.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #451
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Alright, so I had a maduro today and I have noticed some big draw issues. Maybe it needs some more rest, or it was too tight to begin with.

That being said, if anyone is dissatisfied with a purchase they have made please lete know through pm. I will gladly work out a deal.

Sorry about the draw issue Andrew. I'll let you know how mine are..but you are probably right, letting them sit for a while may help! Don't beat yourself up too much yet.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #452
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

Quote:

Binders should not be too moist. They should be on the edge of moist and dried out.

Exactly on the storage. The wet stuff only has to be moist. And I wouldn't keep it moist for an extended period of time, two weeks max.

I am using plastic storage containers. When I moisten wrappers I usually place them in a plastic shopping bad for a day or two to even out.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #453
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

You use wet paper towels to moisten the leaves right?

The guy I ordered from claims the broadleaves are so large you can get 2 wrappers and 2 binders from each leaf(1 each from each half), but I can't just visualize how that would work in my head. Would you use the half oval shape cut out to make a wrapper as a binder?

Also thanks for the tips!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #454
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

I use a damp terry towel.

As far as using the broadleaf for binder and wrapper you'd have to us the outer portion for the wrapper and the inner for the binder, but I cut the wrapper when I'm going to use it. You'd have to set some aside to use on the next batch for the binder.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #455
Homebrewer
Love'm Tatuaje

Trading: (9)
Homebrewer is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Don't get discouraged. Are you keeping them in an over-humidified environment by chance? Try taking them out for a day or two.

I rolled my first two cigars yesterday. I was able to roll them and press them without much difficulty. The wrappers went on well, but my capping was a mess. I used the CT broadleaf as a wrapper and it had a lot of big veins. They look rough to say the least, but the shape was there. I tried to smoke one immediately and it tasted "interesting." Not bad at all. The burn was not good with a run down the side after the first 1/2. Although the wrapper was moist, it burned faster than the filler. My draw was good, but I need to put more tobacco in the cap-end. It was looser down there. All-in-all I think I did a decent job for the first time. I went back and watched more videos. Now I see more of the subtle nuances. I ordered from Leaf Only and my order was not right. I had no ligero, so I just used nic and dom. seco as filler with some Havana 7. The guy at Leaf-only was cool and made it right.
Homebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #456
Sam Leccia
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Sam
Trading: (0)
Navy (Served With Honor)
Sam Leccia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You use wet paper towels to moisten the leaves right?

The guy I ordered from claims the broadleaves are so large you can get 2 wrappers and 2 binders from each leaf(1 each from each half), but I can't just visualize how that would work in my head. Would you use the half oval shape cut out to make a wrapper as a binder?

Also thanks for the tips!
on large broadleaf, with the leaf de-veined and turned sideways, the top of the leaf would be your wrapper and the bottom (towards the vein) could be used as a binder...if it is not too veiny you could potentially use it as a wrapper as well getting 4 wrappers out of 1 full leaf.

***just note that maduro does not typically make for a good binder as the binder is key to the burn of a cigar, and maduro is notorious for it's less then perfect burn qualities.
Sam Leccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #457
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Leccia View Post
on large broadleaf, with the leaf de-veined and turned sideways, the top of the leaf would be your wrapper and the bottom (towards the vein) could be used as a binder...if it is not too veiny you could potentially use it as a wrapper as well getting 4 wrappers out of 1 full leaf.

***just note that maduro does not typically make for a good binder as the binder is key to the burn of a cigar, and maduro is notorious for it's less then perfect burn qualities.
Ah, thanks for the tip! I was planning on trying each of the fillers as a binder as well, just to see any differences.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:09 PM   #458
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Leccia View Post
well that answers most of my issue. Never used it as a bind and I was almos going to. It was prob over packed.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #459
boxmonkey
NUBinator

First Name: Tony
Trading: (1)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
boxmonkey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
well that answers most of my issue. Never used it as a bind and I was almos going to. It was prob over packed.
I'm currently using the DW2 as a binder and wrapper. so far the burn has been fine for what I consider rough cigars to begin with. but we will see how it turns out when I get better.
boxmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:51 AM   #460
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

So my new binder of choice will be the QB-52, got a pound of it for 21.99, it is darker in color so it should be great for the 42x 4 double maddie