Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 08-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
kzm007

Default HP Pavilion DV9500 CTO Notebook DVD-RW Burning Issue

On one hand, I hate to keep running to CA every time I have a problem with technology, since this isn't a technology forum by design, so not only do I feel like I may be wasting everyone else's time as well as my own, as well as taking up thread space, but in addition I may not get good answers simply because maybe other individuals just don't know what to do to help me, so they don't post.

On the other hand, this is a great place, and people often do try to help when they can so I apologize again for my complaints, and hope I can be helped out. It's a cycle
------
I have a handful of recorded media that don't ever seem to burn correctly using my DVD-RW drive.

My laptop is an HP Pavillion DV9500 running Windows Vista.

I usually simply right-click the DVD-RW drive and explore the folders, select all files, and then copy to my empty folder on my external hard drive. I do not use WMP 11 as I don't utilize the library avoid adding files to it?

Is there possibly a better method that you might know of that would result in proper readings from the source file/disc? I have gone through a couple of DVDs and CDs that are burnt for me, and it's a frequent issue.

I hate to keep requesting new media from the seller (these are copies taken from out-of-print vinyl albums), but this appears to be a re-occurring error, and as the laptop is my main computer, I don't want to go through the hassle of using a different computer elsewhere.

Is there possible success using DVD-Rs instead? Currently, he is using Memorex DVD+Rs.

I do believe this problem can be solved, and my drive appears to read factory CDs and DVDs just fine; it's simply the burning process that causes trouble. Because of that fact, I don't feel my optical lens is dirtied, and I will also look around for a driver update from HP.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Kegan
Old 08-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation
Default Re: HP Pavilion DV9500 CTO Notebook DVD-RW Burning Issue

I do not recall the difference between +/- R but I would look it up. I think it might be the burning application. Try something else like Nero.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mugen910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Memorex media is garbage, that's part of your problem.

Here's a good burning program (completely free): Imgburn

Download that, install it, and take a look at their forums regarding what brands of media are known good and known bad. Also, check your firmware, see if there have been any updates.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Unless your DVDROM is +/- you cant use both. Most DVDROMS are either + or -.

Question are the DVD's that your right clicking and copying, are they originals or burns? And can you play the media from your DVDROM?

If you can play the media from your DVDROM but when you 'copy' it to the harddrive and it doesnt work there...you need Disk Copying Software. I use DVDFab.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
d'am
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
Bolivar
d'am is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzm007 View Post
I have a handful of recorded media that don't ever seem to burn correctly using my DVD-RW drive.

I usually simply right-click the DVD-RW drive and explore the folders, select all files, and then copy to my empty folder on my external hard drive. I do not use WMP 11 as I don't utilize the library avoid adding files to it?
No problem here.

Quote:
Is there possibly a better method that you might know of that would result in proper readings from the source file/disc?
Unfortunately, no. At the lowest level of the operating system, the DVD will be accessed in the same way. If you use the same operating system, same drive, and same disk, any differences are purely cosmetic...with the *possible* exception of a driver/firmware update (see below.)

Quote:
I have gone through a couple of DVDs and CDs that are burnt for me, and it's a frequent issue.
This has been an occasional issue for me over the last 12 years. When we burn CD/DVDs, the end result is much different than a commercially-pressed disk. To grossly simplify things, a burned disk has a weaker "imprint." It's somewhat common to burn a disc on one device only to have another device unable to read it. High quality drives and high quality discs reduce (but do not eliminate) these issues.

Quote:
I don't want to go through the hassle of using a different computer elsewhere.
Sorry, but this is exactly what I'd recommend. If another computer reads the disc, blame your DVD reading drive. If another computer doesn't read the disc, blame the original DVD burning drive.

Quote:
Is there possible success using DVD-Rs instead? Currently, he is using Memorex DVD+Rs.
Memorex are cheap and prone to failure, but so are many DVD drives. Trying another brand of disc is worth a shot, but it's far from a guarantee.

Quote:
I do believe this problem can be solved, and my drive appears to read factory CDs and DVDs just fine; it's simply the burning process that causes trouble. Because of that fact, I don't feel my optical lens is dirtied, and I will also look around for a driver update from HP.
A driver or firmware update might help, but it's a long shot.

Best of luck.
d'am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
kzm007

Default SOLVED: HP Pavilion DV9500 CTO Notebook DVD-RW Burning Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
I do not recall the difference between +/- R but I would look it up. I think it might be the burning application. Try something else like Nero.
Posted via Mobile Device
The discs are already burnt, taken from a turntable to a hard drive, and from there the gentleman burns the DVDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Memorex media is garbage, that's part of your problem.

Here's a good burning program (completely free): Imgburn

Download that, install it, and take a look at their forums regarding what brands of media are known good and known bad. Also, check your firmware, see if there have been any updates.
Imgburn is good, and I have it already. I do believe the issue was a dirty optical drive lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
Unless your DVDROM is +/- you cant use both. Most DVDROMS are either + or -.

Question are the DVD's that your right clicking and copying, are they originals or burns? And can you play the media from your DVDROM?

If you can play the media from your DVDROM but when you 'copy' it to the harddrive and it doesnt work there...you need Disk Copying Software. I use DVDFab.
I believe the discs themselves may be dirty, as was the optical drive. Eventually, I got it all copied seemingly OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'am View Post
...To grossly simplify things, a burned disk has a weaker "imprint." It's somewhat common to burn a disc on one device only to have another device unable to read it. High quality drives and high quality discs reduce (but do not eliminate) these issues...
You would think they would have a solution for that fact by now, even an 'illegal' one; companies probably do it not only because it's cheap but because good media would result in more CD burning, I'm sure; who knows.

Are we all in agreement, however, that compressed air in the disc drive and isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip to clean the optical lens is a good idea, as I have read?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
d'am
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
Bolivar
d'am is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SOLVED: HP Pavilion DV9500 CTO Notebook DVD-RW Burning Issue

Quote:
Are we all in agreement, however, that compressed air in the disc drive and isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip to clean the optical lens is a good idea, as I have read?
These are fine, and good advice. Just be sure the alcohol gets wiped out before you spin the drive up again.
d'am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
kzm007

Thanks guys. Rep left for all of ya
Old 08-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Kegan - be cautious with the use of compressed air, too much pressure or too close to the lens element can potentially damage things by knocking the lens out of alignment/suspension. Best to use a can of "air" from an office supply/computer/electronic/camera shop because it's lower pressure, dry and oil free, and not a blowgun nozzle on a shop air compressor (yes, I've seen people do it - 100PSI shop air to a laser element... ugh).

As for alcohol - it can sometimes leave streaks that will degrade performance, and q-tips can leave lint behind. If you have lens cleaning solution and lens cleaning tissues, these are much better options. Wrap a few layers of the tissue around the head of a q-tip or a pair of forceps or locking tweezers.

If you do get streaks, removal is easy, just gently "polish" with a dry q-tip/camera lens wipe

Don't push down hard on the lens. If you do, you run the risk of knock it out of alignment permanently. This would render the drive useless.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote