Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
kzm007

Default Help find me a document/eBook reader with a big screen?

I'm not really looking for an eBook reader, since I mainly just read public-domain books or library books, and if I like a book, I buy a nice used copy. Instead I am looking for a document or page-reader. An eReader lite, at best, since a lot of my downloaded books are PDFs. I do intend to purchase or get some free ebooks later, however.
  • I would like a small device with a decent sized screen to be able to see the text on, possibly being able to magnify it. Maybe a 10" screen or bigger?
  • It should be lightweight.
  • I want to be able to drag 'n drop, or use software to put my own PDFs or other file formats on the device.
  • I would like it to support numerous file types.
  • Color screen is not necessary, but would be nice.
  • A speaker for audiobooks would be nice.
  • It should support e-ink, and not use LCD backlighting, which strains eyes.
  • I want to spend no more than $200, and even then, I'm probably buying used. Find it, then we'll worry about price, it all depends on the features. I don't want to paint myself into a corner here

Any other criteria, please let me know. Thank you all so much. Holding books gets so heavy for me any more
Old 08-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Help find me a document/eBook reader with a big screen?

139$ Kindle?

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles...dp/B002Y27P3M/

I have no idea where you'll find the 10" screen requirement + E-ink for less than 200$ unless you buy used.

In which case I'd suggest looking at the Kindle DX.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:43 AM   #3
kzm007

I'll bump it down to 8 - 10" then thanks JE.

I can't do a Kindle because they run through Sprint, and the only service I get here is Verizon.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:00 AM   #4
Walt

I have a Nook but I don't think it meets all of your requirements. The screen is large but I don't know about 8-10". It does not have an internal speaker, you must use headphones.

It uses 3G from ATT and will also do Wifi. If you want o save money, you can drop the 3G and get a model that only does Wifi (saves $50).

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/i...?cds2Pid=30195
Old 08-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I love my Nook!!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzm007 View Post
I'll bump it down to 8 - 10" then thanks JE.

I can't do a Kindle because they run through Sprint, and the only service I get here is Verizon.
The 139$ one is wireless only, not 3G.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
kzm007

I never fully understood the difference, with either that or my old Blackberry think someone could explain please it in layman's terms for me?

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
kzm007

Default Looking to purchasing an Entourage Edge E-reader

I just want to add that I would be interested in purchasing an EnTourage eDGe, and would appreciate anyone keeping an eye out for me on a used one, please.

Looking to spend $250 - $375ish.

Thanks guys
Old 08-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
Lautréamont
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Matt
Trading: (1)
Partagas
Lautréamont is on a distinguished road

"a lot of my downloaded books are PDFs"

PDFs scanned from books are what ereaders are worst at viewing. The PDF images are too small to be comfortably read on the 6" screen that is most common for ereaders; and because the PDFs are OCRs of hard copies, they are graphic images and therefore don't reflow under magnification, and their processors aren't fast enough to make chasing a magnified image around their screen a comfortable experience.

There are conversion tools out there but your converted results will be in direct relation to the professionalism of the tools and your dedication and expertise.

On the positive side I have recently noticed that a lot of the PDFs of public domain books are being joined by epub versions of the same texts - a far better solution for you (and me).

Your list of needs pretty much tells you that you don't need 3G or WIFI as those options are for downloading popular fiction from the captive retailer who markets whatever brand ereader you purchase.

A good epub/"good" PDF format reader is probably what you want. The Nook and the Sony are both good with epub, and both can reflow PDFs that are not graphic images (scans).

If you are looking at used kit, the PRS 505 is widely praised for its screen quality and is inexpensive on the used market, but keep in mind that the battery may not hold an optimum charge anymore and cannot be replaced by the end user so you may end up with the additional expense of sending it in for a new battery.

The Sony Daily Edition is $250, I think, but it has a larger screen and "might" be suitable for scanned PDFs.

If you are interested in the opinions of the hardcore and early adopters try reading this forum: http://www.mobileread.com.

Regards,
Lautréamont is offline   Reply With Quote