Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-04-2009, 05:14 AM   #81
leasingthisspace

Default Re: Silound's Dog-Rocket Review Challenge!

The cremosa wasn't that bad, I didn't say it was great or anything. It just wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been. I have tasted worse.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #82
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Cumon Mark, you're slacking! Dan's gotten you beat by like 5 cigars!

UGH....ok, ok. Damn you.

Dog Rocket #6

Silound's description: Where did I die and end up in hell for buying these Nicaraguan crap sticks? I hand these out to people who beg for a cigar.

My take: A torpedo shaped cigar with a cedar sleeve, which was obviously used to cover up one of the butt ugliest wrappers I've ever seen. The cigar is heavy and feels solid though. Pre light draw is....aww man, not again! Moldy hay. Silound, do you keep your humidor in a barn?

First few draws are sour and grassy. The aroma coming from the foot is AWFUL. Like burning urine. Like if you peed on a grill or something.

About 1" in, and the flavor has changed to match the aroma. Scorched urine. Imagine peeing on a restaurant-style flat grill and breathing and tasting the smoke from your burning pee. This cigar is pure torture. Interrogators could make terrorists confess simply by lighting one of these cigars and blowing smoke in their faces.

2" in...oh my god this cigar tastes awful...but what a complex smoke! The aroma of scorched urine has been replaced by a stench sort of like an overheated car engine. Like burning oil or power steering fluid.

Gawd, man, the flavor of this "cigar" is unbearable. It tastes like a dead animal smells. Like picking up a dead rat, lighting its face, and puffing on its butthole.

I can't take any more. This is probably the worst cigar I've ever had.

Quote:
Oh yeah guys, I forgot. I may have come across another nasty crap stick in my travels, and I think this one tastes worse than any of the others. You guys interested in a 17th stick?
Nah, keep that 17th stick. And shove it up your ass.
borndead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #83
Hardcz

lol you know you should stop peeing on your cigars before you smoke them....

Try the microwave for 15 seconds or so.... then store them for a month.... might get rid of that mustiness.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #84
Hardcz

So smoking number 11 today...no real aroma coming from it. Prelight taste is likea dried leaves in fall.

This is a light stick, tastes like burning wood. There is a spice coming though with a burning after taste.... Not pleasant, not completely horrible.... could be worse.. *I'll probably regret saying that.....*

ok, last few puffs make me eat my words.... I'm getting a sour nastiness in my mouth. I imagine if you licked a modly piece of wood sitting on the forest floor, it might taste better. It's an earthy disgusting flavorl.

The taste only is intensifying as I smoke it, picking up more sour and earth tones, tastes like black moist soil.... *don't ask* lol

Gonna go see wtf this thing was....
Old 02-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #85
Hardcz

OK I love to be in pain I guess... number 12....

It's a huge cigar, looks like a cuaba salamone in size...just HUGE!!

not much smell or flavor other than a faint tobacco.

First impression is a musty flavor with a lot of smoke.

Flavor..... you get a moldy musty flavor... something you smell when going into a house that has been uninhabited for a few years put into flavor... .then after that you get a burning dry leave wafting through your senses. From the start, you KNOW this cigar will suck.

A few inches in now... Mold is gone, musty is still there, a hint of spice, and an aftertaste of literally wet leather that's been soaking for hours.

It's getting pretty bad. Aftertaste is like the smoke coming from a camp fire, just dries out your throat and makes you hate life.

Musty is gone.... replaced by the overwhelming wet leather taste, that is sour and bland......

I don't know how anything from this brand could be good.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #86
Hardcz

Bartender just told me those last two cigars smelled terrible.... that's after I explained what I was doing... lol way to go man, making me look bad.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #87
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

I think that large figurado was a Cuvee Blanc...I think
Old 02-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #88
borndead1

Partagas

UGH...

What a way to start out the day. I gotta be honest, after dog rocket #6 I wanted to tap out, admit defeat, wave the white flag and throw the rest of these..."Cigars" into the toilet where they came from. But I will finish what I started, for Silound and the members of CA. Yeah yeah, I'm a helluva guy, I know.

Dog Rocket #7

From Silound's description: They smell Honduran, but I don’t know what the frick they are, or where the frick I got them. I think that sums these up nicely.

My take: A lancero-sized cigar, not a bad looking stick honestly. The wrapper has a faint floral smell. It has some weight for such a thin cigar, and I soon found out why. This cigar is rolled tighter than a _________(insert witty comparison).

I stuck the DrawPoker about halfway through, being careful not to burst the cigar. It worked pretty well. Pre-light draw is a tangy, grassy flavor but surprisingly not unpleasant.

First few draws are bland but not bad. The aroma coming from the foot is kinda like a cigarette smell though. Silound says he think these are Honduran, but they have a distinct Mexican flavor to me, especially in the nose exhale. So far, at about 1", this cigar is not bad at all. Not something I would buy, but not what I would call a dog rocket either.

Dammit...I knew I spoke too soon and jinxed myself. Around 2" in and this cigar is getting a very strange flavor, like burning paper. The aroma coming from the foot is still very cigarette-like.

WOW...just out of curiousity I flame purged this cigar, and I swear I was blowing fire out the end of the stick for 10 seconds!

It didn't help the flavor.

Still has that weird burning paper flavor, with an aftertaste of bleach. Like when you do your laundry at a laundromat and you can smell/taste the bleach in the air. Blech.

The draw is still tight, so it's hard to get a good amount of smoke. But that's quite OK, I don't really want a good amount of smoke.

MAN this thing tastes like paper. Like taking a sheet of notebook paper and rolling up cigarette tobacco in it and smoking it. And the bleach aftertaste is getting stronger.

OK...about halfway. Now this thing is tasting like burning plastic. I stick the DrawPoker through as far as I can so I can get at least 1 really big draw off this nasty thing.

OMG that was a bad idea.

I was really gonna try to nub this thing, but I can't do it. Pitched it with about 3" left. It wasn't quite as bad as dog rocket #6, but pretty close.

This was one of those weird "trick" cigars. The first bit isn't bad, and tricks you into continuing to smoke it. Then BAM!!! Pure yuck.

Silound...I think that by the end of this gruesome experiment, I am probably going to end up disliking you.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #89
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
UGH...

Dog Rocket #7

This was one of those weird "trick" cigars. The first bit isn't bad, and tricks you into continuing to smoke it. Then BAM!!! Pure yuck.

Silound...I think that by the end of this gruesome experiment, I am probably going to end up disliking you.
I think you probably got a bad one and should try again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
Smoked number 7 yesterday too... why? Because I hate myself?

dare I say lancero?

stick smells good, like tobacco.

Taste is mild leather with light spice. This cigar is pretty good...doubt I'll change this view...

smooth smoke, lingering aftertaste of the spice that's tingling the tip of my tongue and lips, this is a pleasant smoke.

The flavor profile of a light leather / tobacco, with spice that gets stronger as the stick burns, leaving a smoldering burn. There is nothing special about this cigar that I enjoyed particularly. The nose exhale was excellent emphasizing the above flavors and hinting at a toasted something or another, did not burn my nose, just my lips and tongue. This was a pleasant burn, nothing too strong. Aftertaste was that of licking a cigar wrapper, not too good, not too bad.

Silound, honestly I wouldn't say this one is a dog rocket. I might be inclined to buy one from time to time if the price point was low, though would not have a problem smoking it again.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #90
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
So I'm starting stick 8..
Your the man Hardcz and made it past numero ocho. You have health coverage

Quote:
Dog Rocket #7 Silound...I think that by the end of this gruesome experiment, I am probably going to end up disliking you.
And its borndead1 bringing up the rear. You gonna make it buddy?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #91
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar

Quote:

If you didn't hate me by cigar #1, you're gonna really go ape after cigar number 13 or so. I put the worst ones last.

On the plus side, at least the reward should be worth it
Old 02-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #92
borndead1

Partagas

DOG ROCKET #8

From Silound's description: Unknown in brand and origin, these were a “gift” from a well meaning friend who brought them back from Mexico. I refused to smoke any after his last gift, and I still do.

My take: A corona sized cigar, lots of prominent veins in the wrapper. Wrapper has a baby powder sort of smell. Pre-light draw tastes like hay. The cigar was obviously rolled pretty well. That's what has tripped me out so much about all these dog rockets -- how well they are rolled. I am reminded of that old saying, "You can't polish a turd."

First few draws are plain tobacco with a buttery finish. The aroma coming from the foot is a strong CIGAR smell, not unpleasant. After the first few draws, a floral flavor is creeping in. The nose exhale is strong but not too harsh. So far this cigar is not bad at all. <---With that sentence, I am sure I just jinxed myself.

About 1" in...I knew it, dammit. Another one of those "trick" cigars! Tastes like wet burning cardboard now. It still smells OK, but the flavor took a nosedive.

UGH.....BLECH!!!!!!! Just took a really big draw and was smacked in the face with a disgusting flavor that I can only describe as burning cardboard that was soaked in spoiled milk.

This cigar leaves a NASTY bitter aftertaste on my tongue.

Dammit man...I can't smoke any more of this thing. I am bound and determined to nub at least ONE of these dog rockets, but #8 is not gonna be the one.

Made it about halfway through before waving the white flag.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #93
Hardcz

Way to be a trooper! Something about that cigar was spoiled...we can agree on that.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #94
borndead1

Partagas

I just realized that I'm only HALFWAY DONE with these cursed things.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #95
Hardcz

Quote:
I just realized that I'm only HALFWAY DONE with these cursed things.
haha just get it over with.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #96
borndead1

Partagas

Quote:
haha just get it over with.
You should get your ass over to this side of the state. We could both smoke #16 at the B&M.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:37 AM   #97
Hardcz

some day I will
Old 02-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #98
Hardcz

lol just realized I skipped number 10..... I'll be lighting that up today along with no 13.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:55 PM   #99
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Bolivar

Hmmm, this Davi 6000 I'm smoking tastes pretty good. How's that dog stick you're working on again?
Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #100
Hardcz

both sucked.. reviews tomorrow...