Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Trading: (70)
Brooks W has a spectacular aura aboutBrooks W has a spectacular aura about
Default Tat Drac

You would literally have to be living on a deserted island, with seaweed stuffed in your ears, humming a few random bars from "Piano Man" ("now Paul is a real estate novelist, who never had time for his wife"...) while rocking back and forth gently to the motion of the ocean to not have heard of the Tatuaje "Monster" series.

Having said that, just in case there is even ONE of you, the faithful readers, who does not know the details, I will be more then happy to help out.

Almost one year to the day last year, a (then) smallish cigar company named "Tatuaje" (helmed by ever popular and ever tattooed Pete Johnson) released a fairly limited cigar named The "Frank", after (oddly enough) "Frankenstein", a Double Corona box press (7 5/8 x49) with a Broadleaf wrapper. 666 boxes were released, with 13 to a box, 13$ each and only 13 retailers were selected to receive them (announced on Oct. 13th, of course).

Ever since the initial release, cigar lovers have been waiting for this Oct. 31st, when the newest stick in the lineup will be released. This year, the monster chosen was the "Drac", after (oddly enough) "Dracula" (you see where he is going with this, I am sure)...Pete is on record as saying that next year's release will be "The Face", (after "LeatherFace"), a 5 ½ x 60ish stick "with a gnarly, ugly wrapper on it, a marbleized cover leaf. The cigar will be unfinished, with the wrapper drooping off the cigar". The "Wolfman" is rumored for the year after that (my idea for a nickname? "Wolfie").

However, due to the overwhelming popularity of the Frank, Pete decided to bump up the numbers. This year, there will be 1300 boxes of the Drac, with the vast majority being sold by 13 stores (again announced on Oct. 13th). And, because that was not enough, in 13 random boxes of the Drac and the Frank Undressed aka Boris (which will be 1000 boxes of the same blend as the original Frank, but with a Sumatra Rosado wrapper instead of Broadleaf, and about 1/2 inch shorter) will be 13 "Spooky Tickets" that will allow the recipient to register to win a Ducati Monster 696...

Get it? Got it? Good.

I was lucky (unlucky?) enough to get a Prerelease sample of the Drac (and the upcoming Black Label tubo, which will be a review later this month), and so, as is my curse, I thought I would detail my experience.

Enough chitchat, let's get down to business, shall we?

* Country of Origin: Nicaragua
* Wrapper: Ecuador (Habano Maduro)
* Binder: Nicaragua
* Filler: Nicaragua
* Size: 6.75 Inches (Torpedo)
* Ring Gauge: 52
* Est. Price: $13 (MSRP)
* Date Released: Oct. 31, 2009

The first thing I noticed with this stick was the HUGE size, ironically, almost like a stake...I mean, it is BIG...The wrapper is a dark chocolate brown color, with a slight reddish tint, and did not have much of a smell (other then tobacco, obviously)...the wrapper is also VERY rough (sort of like the Frank in that way) with almost no oil at all...the cigar is obviously well constructed, and has a killer triple cap on it...It was honestly a joy to hold...

After cutting and lighting, I was ready for the typical BLAST of pepper and spice that accompanies almost every Tat on the market, but was surprised when it did not happen...yes, there was pepper, and yes, there was spice, but it was blended from the beginning with notes of cedar, earth, and what I can only describe as sweet raisins...I was literally dumbstruck at the quality of the flavors from the first third...

In the Second Third, the pepper picked up strength quite a bit, and there was more dark chocolate flavor, with quite a bit of leather thrown in...and underneath it all was that sweet raisin taste, kind of a sweet tartness, if that makes any sense...

The last third was all about the sweetness...along with the aforementioned raisins, there were distinct flavors of caramel and cedar...the pepper was in and out for the last third (but never disappearing totally), but the strength picked up quite a bit at the end...It never got hot at the end, and I was easily able to nub it (thankfully

Final Notes:

* The Construction, Draw and Burn on this cigar were nothing short of amazing...Padron-esque, if you will...
* This stick produced A BUNCH of smoke, and it was very aromic...it had a sweet peppery floral scent...
* The Final smoking time was 1 hour and 55 minutes

The Bottom Line: This is easily one of the most complex and refined cigars I have smoked...So many flavors that complimented each other (instead of competing with each other) and underneathth it all was that Wonderfully sweet raisin note that tied it all together...Even after smoking just one, I can tell you that this is the complete package: flavor, quality and construction that is truly a joy to smoke. I will be buying as many of these as I can get my hands on.

Final Score: 96
Brooks W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
LockOut
Burn Baby Burn

First Name: Tom
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
LockOut will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tat Drac

List comes out tomorrow. I can't wait
IAFF Local #4907
LockOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review. I plan on picking up 130 boxes.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
yourchoice
Down the stretch

First Name: Joel
Trading: (36)
Cohiba
yourchoice has disabled reputation

Sounds like a winner. The "too-much-pepper" taste turns me off several Pepin smokes, including the couple Tats (browns) I've had. This sounds like they went for a more balanced profile which is a good thing IMO.

Great review. Thanks for sharing.
yourchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
mrreindeer

Great review & pics, thanks for posting up!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
wavescrashing
Unofficial CA Boli Ho

First Name: Mike
Trading: (19)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
wavescrashing has disabled reputation

Thanks for the great review. I'll definitely have my eyes peeled tomorrow!
wavescrashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
SkinsFanLarry

Brooksey, great review and pic's as usual my brother!

(you forgot to post your "hand-written" notes though!)
Old 10-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the review!
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Great review and pics! Thanks!
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
pgagnon

great review!!

you guys think there is gonna be some GB of that since i wont be able to get one
Old 10-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
Slavac

Strong want.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgagnon View Post
great review!!

you guys think there is gonna be some GB of that since i wont be able to get one
I'm sure there will be since this year it's almost double I believe in production as last years.

I can't wait to get my hands on this... there's so much hype on this stick, I better not be disappointed.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #13
Brooks W
Feeling at Home

Trading: (70)
Brooks W has a spectacular aura aboutBrooks W has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanLarry View Post
Brooksey, great review and pic's as usual my brother!

(you forgot to post your "hand-written" notes though!)
Hey!

Actually, Cigar Asylum only allows me to post 5 Photos total, so something has to be left off

~brooks
Brooks W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Slavac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks W View Post
Hey!

Actually, Cigar Asylum only allows me to post 5 Photos total, so something has to be left off

~brooks
5 photos per post I believe.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review & pictures.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #16
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

I was waiting for the review on these. That didn't take long! sounds like a fine smoke, don't know if I'll be able to track one down yet.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #17
zitro_joe
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Joe
Trading: (16)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
zitro_joe is on a distinguished road

Dang, bro! That is awesome, I cant wait to get one.
zitro_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #18
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the info and detailed review! Cannot wait to hopefully get one!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #19
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Brooks...something else to add to my "want list".
Old 10-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #20
havanajohn
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: John
Trading: (26)
Cohiba
havanajohn is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the great review. I too will be in the hunt for em.
havanajohn is offline   Reply With Quote