Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 12-07-2009, 01:05 PM   #61
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation
Default Re: Wheel of Time fans?

One of the nice things about being retired is I finally have time to do pretty much anything!
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #62
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Towers Of Midnight came out on Tuesday. Anyone reading it yet?
On a related note, do *not* read the Wikipedia entry on Asmodean before you read ToM. Apparently, we find out who killed him in this book, and someone already added that tidbit to the wiki entry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #63
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreth View Post
Towers Of Midnight came out on Tuesday. Anyone reading it yet?
On a related note, do *not* read the Wikipedia entry on Asmodean before you read ToM. Apparently, we find out who killed him in this book, and someone already added that tidbit to the wiki entry.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the heads up!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:33 AM   #64
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

It is winging it's way to me as I type this. Just wish they put this on kindle so I didn't have to drag the book along with me... I've gotten spoiled.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #65
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Thanks for the heads up!
My book shipped from Amazon on Monday. Supposed to be a Christmas present from my wife, but she may be wrapping an already read book

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #66
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

I put the WoT series out of mind after I'm done with the latest book so I don't go crazy waiting for them to be released. So, needless to say, I was surprised when I read yesterday that this had been released on Tuesday! Anyway, ran by Borders over lunch and picked up a copy. I'm expecting to start it either this evening or tomorrow evening and probably finish it by the end of the weekend I love these books.

Thanks for the heads up about the wiki entry. Sometimes I'll refer to it to see character info...but I'll avoid Asmodean's entry because I don't want that spoiled!
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #67
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Thanks for the heads up about the wiki entry. Sometimes I'll refer to it to see character info...but I'll avoid Asmodean's entry because I don't want that spoiled!
Yep, I was skimming through some WoT stuff to brush up, and saw mention of the big fan debate over who killed Asmodean. Next thing I see, something like "In Towers Of Midnight we learn that [someone] was the killer." Talk about a buzzkill.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #68
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Are you kidding me? Did that person ever hear of something called a spoiler alert? Sheesh
Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #69
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Are you kidding me? Did that person ever hear of something called a spoiler alert? Sheesh
Wikipedia doesn't do spoiler alerts. TBH, with Jordan's insistence over the years that it (the identity of the killer) was "obvious," I wasn't expecting it to ever be revealed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #70
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Without posting any spoilers, just thought I'd talk about the reading I got done this weekend!

I'm about 1/3rd into the book (didn't get to spend nearly as much time reading as I wanted). I've really like how Rand's character has been developed. In all honesty his crap was getting kind of annoying in the last few books. Don't want to really get too much into it, like I said, trying to not drop anything about the book that would spoil anything

Have any of you finished it yet?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #71
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I'm also about a 1/3 (page 255) into the book and I am enjoying it very much. I was wondering how Sanderson/Jordan was going to tie some of the straggling loose ends together and it seems like he/they are doing a good job!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #72
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Just finished the book and must have completely missed the bit about Asmodean.I looked at the wikipedia page, and while it makes sense who did it, was one of the two main suspects I had, I guess I will have to go back and re-read the conversations where it is supposedly revealed.

Book was excellent, btw. I felt Sanderson did a much better job with Mat in this one, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #73
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
Just finished the book and must have completely missed the bit about Asmodean.I looked at the wikipedia page, and while it makes sense who did it, was one of the two main suspects I had, I guess I will have to go back and re-read the conversations where it is supposedly revealed.
I've finished the book and really, really enjoyed it. But if I remember correctly it's never mentioned straight out in the book explicitly, it's just alluded to at one point. It's explicitly stated in the glossary at the end though under a certain character's entry, or so I've heard. Hmmm, gotta go check the glossary now to be sure.

Edit: Yep, it's in the glossary under _______'s entry.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #74
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Just finished it today as well, possibly one of my favorite books so far. I think it was a fantastic setup for the final book as well.

Totally missed the part about Asmodean as well. As big of a deal as Sanderson made his curiosity about it that it seemed to be almost an afterthought, hah.

Can't wait for the last book!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #75
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

When I bought this book I thought it was the last in the series. I know, I know, my info was way, WAY out of date. Over two years ago when I first learned Sanderson was going to finish the series there was talk of a final TWO books. I didn't keep up with the scuttlebutt and so had absolutely no idea there would be a book 14.

Which leads me to the ending of this book (book 13) .....

My first reaction was "You m*(*&^fu*&(*&r !!! How dare you end the series like that!?" Then I calmed down and gave it some thought and, with so many loose threads being tied up (or at least brought into some semblance of near-finality), and certainly with all the foreshadowing near the end (especially Aviendha's POVs), and finally with the last-minute tweaks such as Rand's meeting with _______ in the cave, well, that really could have been the end of the story. So I gave it some thought and grudgingly admitted that, while not my first choice of endings, it was a pretty unique way to end such an epic series. It really could have worked out like that.

Then I read online that book 14 would be out next November. Did I ever feel like a douche.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #76
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

Lol...yeah if you didn't know they had made it a 14 book series and there was still one more to go I could see how angry you would be!

I hate to break it to you though, but according to Sanderson's blog, he's not expecting to finish the 14th book until March of 2012...so we've still got a little while to wait.

The good news is that we still have a book to wait for though hah
Old 11-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #77
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

The interesting thing is that if the series ended right there I'd understand (after some time to adjust to it anyway). But I'm definitely glad to hear there's another book coming.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #78
Kreth
Ronin smoker

About 700 pages in. So when does Voldemort make an appearance?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #79
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

My son just gave me book 1...I guess I am set for books for the nexr year or so.

T
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #80
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I did end up rereading the whole series this year, finishing up about a month ago. As soon as I finish up a couple of other books I'm reading, I'll hit Towers of Midnight. It's sitting on my desk.

Sanderson did a great job on Gathering Storm. I wonder how detailed the notes Jordan left were, and if he had had time to flesh out any of the final story himself?
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote