Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tom Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
. Baseball players are always trying to "deke" the play; you know, drop an infield pop-up to get the easy out at second.
That's why they instituted the "Infield Fly Rule" 114 years ago.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #202
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post

Now if he had said players in general and mentioned Arod yelling "I've got it" as he rounds second on a popup to to short...that would have had nothing to do with the topic, just can't forget what a hack he is.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #203
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

It is ludicrous to equate deeks and fakes, which play a part in most sports, with doctoring a ball or other such tactics like corked bats. The first is a legal strategy, the second a violation of rules.

For instance, a catcher will be lauded for his ability to "frame" or "pull" a pitch back into the zone in an attempt to fool the ump into believing a ball is a strike. "Good" catchers will try this dozens of times a game, and will get away with it on some of those. Is this cheating? Ehhh, OK, strictly speaking it is. Is it illegal? Not in the least.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #204
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Yes, I know, but players still try.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #205
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
It is ludicrous to equate deeks and fakes, which play a part in most sports, with doctoring a ball or other such tactics like corked bats. The first is a legal strategy, the second a violation of rules.

For instance, a catcher will be lauded for his ability to "frame" or "pull" a pitch back into the zone in an attempt to fool the ump into believing a ball is a strike. "Good" catchers will try this dozens of times a game, and will get away with it on some of those. Is this cheating? Ehhh, OK, strictly speaking it is. Is it illegal? Not in the least.
Before 1920 it was the duty of every pitcher to doctor the ball as soon as he got it. They would scuff it, cut it with a bottle cap, spit tobacco juice on it, use vasoline, etc., they used one ball for the whole game, unless it was lost over the fence, which was rare. In the 1860's players were expected to be gentlemen and honest about their play. In those days, players would say if they were out or not. Getting back to my point: the constant rule changes of football are difficult to keep up with for the casual fan and makes the game needlessly complicated.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:06 PM   #206
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Thanks for the history lesson. When did they change the rule about the pressure of a football?
Old 05-23-2015, 09:29 PM   #207
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Thanks for the history lesson. When did they change the rule about the pressure of a football?
I don't know, I tried looking it up, but I'm glad that the League will be handling the balls from now on, so I hear.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #208
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The League always took care of the balls for both sides up until not many years ago.
I can't tell you how many years, but I bet Stephen can.
Why would the league give that responsibility back to the teams?
Simple. So the teams can cater balls to the QB's liking. It's a touchdown league, and that's what people want to see.
I'm fine with that.

Fact is, every team benefited from the change. Then someone got pissed and pointed a finger. The rule is written, and it needs to be enforced as such.
Watch how fast the rule changes now.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:03 PM   #209
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

This discussion on sports is excellent!!!!

Without debate, I think?, sports are a collection of rules and since sports have been invented, flexing the rules a bit and not getting caught gives you an advantage. When your caught, sucks to be you, but it's hard to honestly say that's the ONLY thing your bending the rules on which in this case is why I think the penalty was ridiculous because this is the second time getting caught bending the rules and they need to get smarter in hiding problems.

It's hard for me to imagine that the Colts for example aren't bending the rules somewhere and let's just start at the drug policies. Drugs in sports are a reality because humans seek an advantage especially when a great deal of money or fame is on the hook. There have been many articles written about how teams cheat the drug rules to the point of catheters being used to put IN fresh untainted urine and the team doctors assisting in this process as well as the same doctors helping collect samples to be tested. hmmm......

Anyway, I think sports represent the gladiators of today and as gladiators, I respect their desires to push to insane limits but I also respect the desire to create an even playing field. So if you get caught, suck it up, pay the fine, and cheat smarter.

My two cents.
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:49 PM   #210
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Yes, I know, but players still try.
Really? I watch a lot of baseball, and can;t remember the last time I saw anything resembling that. Go figure.

Quote:
I don't know, I tried looking it up, but I'm glad that the League will be handling the balls from now on, so I hear.
Some might opine that the NFL has been handling the balls for quite a while now.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-23-2015, 10:54 PM   #211
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Too bad the league can't handle the nuts also.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #212
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Too bad the league can't handle the nuts also.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #213
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Really? I watch a lot of baseball, and can;t remember the last time I saw anything resembling that. Go figure.

Some might opine that the NFL has been handling the balls for quite a while now.
Really? I think I last saw it about two years ago. Shortstop dropped an easy pop-up and shuffled the ball to second; it was called, but he tried. I forget who it was. Umps often forget to call it in the air. The trick is to make the catch look harder than it is.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:19 AM   #214
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

They still try.

MIAMI (AP) — The Baltimore Orioles' bullpen was already stretched thin in the 12th inning when left-hander Brian Matusz was ejected for using a sticky substance that was on his right arm.

His replacement, T.J. McFarland, then gave up the game-winning single to Martin Prado in the 13th, and the Orioles lost to the Miami Marlins 1-0 Saturday.

Orioles manager Buck Showalter shrugged off the impact of the ejection, saying Matusz would have faced only one more hitter anyway.

''He wouldn't have pitched the next inning,'' Showalter said.

Matusz might not pitch again for a while. The Brewers' Will Smith was suspended for eight games Friday by Major League Baseball for having a foreign substance on his arm in a loss to the Braves.

Matusz entered the game in the 12th with the score 0-0 and retired the first two batters before new Marlins manager Dan Jennings approached home plate umpire Jordan Baker. Baker and crew chief Paul Emmel then went to the mound to inspect Matusz's arm.

''I went out there and told the pitcher I was going to touch his right forearm,'' Emmel said. ''That's where he was touching before he went to the ball. I detected a foreign substance, so the pitcher was ejected.''
Old 05-24-2015, 03:42 AM   #215
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
The League always took care of the balls for both sides up until not many years ago.
I can't tell you how many years, but I bet Stephen can.
Why would the league give that responsibility back to the teams?
Simple. So the teams can cater balls to the QB's liking. It's a touchdown league, and that's what people want to see.
I'm fine with that.

Fact is, every team benefited from the change. Then someone got pissed and pointed a finger. The rule is written, and it needs to be enforced as such.
Watch how fast the rule changes now.
2007, the same year the Patriots started their amazing run and amazing lack of fumbles for that matter.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:01 AM   #216
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
2007, the same year the Patriots started their amazing run and amazing lack of fumbles for that matter.
Gee, I thought they started their amazing run in 2001.

Actually, I think that was after "Spygate" when they went on their "F*** the NFL tour"; I expect another one this season. You know how powerful bulletin board material is and they have plenty this year.

Last edited by Subvet642; 05-24-2015 at 04:07 AM.
Subvet642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:06 AM   #217
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Darren, again I am confused. That Orioles pitcher was ejected and will likely face suspension for doctoring the ball. OK, it happens several times a season. He doctored the ball, and should face the music. But how does citing this defend your contention that Tom Brady and the Pats should NOT face any consequences for THEIR actions?
Old 05-24-2015, 09:27 PM   #218
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Darren, again I am confused. That Orioles pitcher was ejected and will likely face suspension for doctoring the ball. OK, it happens several times a season. He doctored the ball, and should face the music. But how does citing this defend your contention that Tom Brady and the Pats should NOT face any consequences for THEIR actions?
I see your confusion; I wasn't contending anything, just an amusing anecdote.

Since you brought it up, this sort of thing seems to happen more often in baseball, but it almost never becomes a federal case. Did the Orioles get fined? His pitching coach and manager MUST have known. What about his catcher? He HAD to know. The clubhouse boys? Did they get suspended? No. I just think that football, or at least the front office, has gotten prissy.

On another note, I've decided to let it go and wait for the payback that Belichick will inflict upon the league, on the field. Brady's four game suspension will just be "tacklin' fuel". The players are furious and will take it out on everyone. Ya know...an evil genius like Belichick might just have set this up as a false flag op. Enormous motivation to beat everyone like a red-headed step-child. Gonna be a great season!
Old 05-24-2015, 09:40 PM   #219
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

I always feel it is wiser to do your talking on the field, and let the rest of the crap go.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #220
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
I always feel it is wiser to do your talking on the field, and let the rest of the crap go.